Rave: Cider

Kinharia

I love Cider. Cider is just Apple Juice that makes you happy, and I personally believe that many people like apple juice. So drink Cider, the Apple juice that makes you happy.

Edit: Technically my 200th Offiicial Post (Excluding forum games) so yay. CIDER

Edited by Kinharia

10 minutes ago, malibu said:

Do you mean non-alcoholic apple cider or hard apple cider?

The fuck are you talking about.

Cider is alcholic.

Just now, Zytan said:

Didn't you make this exact same thread on FAF like 9 months ago?... :P

Maybe. Cider does tell me to praise it.

Just now, Zeke said:

Not all cider...the Virgin version at least. It's just raw apple juice that hasn't been filtered and pasteurized.

Is this some kind of blasphemous Yank talk where you changed culinary terms around. Us Eurofags must be too differen't :(

• Like 1

Just now, malibu said:

In the US there is non-alcoholic cider. 

Ah okay ^_^ that makes more sense, in Ireland we only refer to cider as that that has Alcohol content. Non-Alcoholic exists but you have to emphasise the fact it is "non-alcoholic" xD

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kinharia said:

Is this some kind of blasphemous Yank talk where you changed culinary terms around. Us Eurofags must be too differen't :(

It was made as a sub in the early 1900's because of the prohibition. It's just a nomenclature us Yanks adopted to make non-alcoholic versions of it look appealing. Remember the American Prohibition? America banned booze at one point.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure even non-alcoholic cider has a little bit of alcohol content in it because if I'm not mistaken, apple cider is fermented apples with spices added in. but it's not very strong so it's safe for anyone to drink

alcoholic cider on the other hand is called hard cider in the US

Edited by willow

1 minute ago, Kinharia said:

Ah okay ^_^ that makes more sense, in Ireland we only refer to cider as that that has Alcohol content. Non-Alcoholic exists but you have to emphasise the fact it is "non-alcoholic" xD

No, in the US you have to specify it as "Hard" cider, much like "Hard" soda. Apple cider here usually advertised as a more pure form of a less filtered apple juice. They even sell packets of powdered hard cider in the tea section of grocery stores.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, willow said:

I'm pretty sure even non-alcoholic cider has a little bit of alcohol content in it because if I'm not mistaken, apple cider is fermented apples. but it's not very strong so it's safe for anyone to drink

alcoholic cider on the other hand is called hard cider in the US

It doesn't. It's really just juice that hasn't been filtered or fermented.

1 minute ago, willow said:

oh okay. I wasn't sure because it still has that kick to it that apple juice doesn't

It has more of the stuff that usually gets filtered out if you buy the juice version. However, it does expire faster. if it tastes like it had booze in it, you probably had some that was on it's way out. 

I'm learning new things!

Glad you learning stuff! I asked if you meant alcoholic or non alcoholic because I wanted to talk about the alcoholic stuff, haha.

This fall I had some amazing pumpkin cider from a brand called Ace.  I don't know if it's seasonal or not, but I haven't been able to find it since the fall. I also really like Angry Orchard because of the variety of flavors they have. I like to grab the value pack and take turns drinking different flavors. Very tasty stuff! I much prefer it over beer.

1 minute ago, malibu said:

I also really like Angry Orchard

Going to stop you right there. We have one brand of Angry Orchad here and it tastes just like Swedish Cider. Pumped full of sweetners. If you need sweetners in your apple, please don't brew cider. That being said I hope the other brands taste better.

Going to stop you right there. We have one brand of Angry Orchad here and it tastes just like Swedish Cider. Pumped full of sweetners. If you need sweetners in your apple, please don't brew cider. That being said I hope the other brands taste better.

I like ciders because they taste like apple soda and they're impossible to get drunk or even buzzed on. If I wanted something to get buzzed on or seriously drink, I'll grab a bottle of vodka or cognac. Ciders to be are basically a casual soft drink I can drink with friends when we don't want to get drunk.

cider is what i drink before making abusive threads directed at the mods on here

its pretty good

3 hours ago, malibu said:

I like ciders because they taste like apple soda and they're impossible to get drunk or even buzzed on.

false you just gotta drink enough in a short period

Just now, malibu said:

I like ciders because they taste like apple soda and they're impossible to get drunk or even buzzed on. If I wanted something to get buzzed on or seriously drink, I'll grab a bottle of vodka or cognac. Ciders to be are basically a casual soft drink I can drink with friends when we don't want to get drunk.

The scary thing about Irish and English ciders is how quickly you get drunk on 5% cider ^_^ I personally love the Reserve Ciders that are a few year sold. A couple of breweries do them the way Traditional Wines are made and give quite a good flavour (and kick) as well! I just love fermented apples ^_^

1 minute ago, Zerig said:

cider is what i drink before making abusive threads directed at the mods on here

its pretty good

Fellow cider drinker! (besides abusiveness) welcome to Cider club! *hugs*

• Like 1

I am a big cider drinker, and I tend to buy a lot of different ones when I am feeling fancy and shit. Other than that, I stick with either Bold rock or Angry orchard. Mebbe woodchuck.

I also use it as a marinade/tenderizer when cooking. Lamb marinated in a dry cider is tasty AF.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zeke said:

Regional probably. I can find it in the NE/SE us, but it's rare to non existent out west.

I'm Mid East Coast. Most of everything here worth drinking is made by local brewers and everything else is normy tier domestic/imports. Have you seen Cidergiest / rhinegeist over there? I live near their brewery and and it's pretty good. 

Just now, Brazen said:

I'm Mid East Coast. Most of everything here worth drinking is made by local brewers and everything else is normy tier domestic/imports. Have you seen Cidergiest / rhinegeist over there? I live near their brewery and and it's pretty good. 

I haven't. I may have to when I make a run to total wine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zerig said:

false you just gotta drink enough in a short period

Ciders are too sweet and filling for me to drink more than a 6 pack in an hour. Though I guess it would be pretty tasty.

2 minutes ago, Kinharia said:

The scary thing about Irish and English ciders is how quickly you get drunk on 5% cider ^_^ I personally love the Reserve Ciders that are a few year sold. A couple of breweries do them the way Traditional Wines are made and give quite a good flavour (and kick) as well! I just love fermented apples ^_^

I think the ciders around here are at 5%, too. My problem is that because of my height and weight I need a little extra booze than a normal person to feel anything. It's why I stick to my hard alcohol at 40%-51.5%. Anything else is just me drinking empty calories and enjoying my afternoon.

Angry Orchard is kind of meh to me. sometimes it has a weird aftertaste. I really like Strongbow though.

10 minutes ago, Zeke said:

It has more of the stuff that usually gets filtered out if you buy the juice version. However, it does expire faster. if it tastes like it had booze in it, you probably had some that was on it's way out. 

probably. there's an apple orchard about 45 minutes away from me and they have a barrel of it sitting out for people to get little cups of their juice so I wouldn't be surprised if it was slightly rotten. it was still good though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, willow said:

Angry Orchard is kind of meh to me. sometimes it has a weird aftertaste. I really like Strongbow though.

I completely forgot about strongbow. That stuff is amazing, especially the variety pack they have with different flavors. I think I drank that all through the holidays.

1 minute ago, malibu said:

I completely forgot about strongbow. That stuff is amazing, especially the variety pack they have with different flavors. I think I drank that all through the holidays.

I've only had it a few times, usually at bars or at house parties because no one in my family drinks it. just Budweiser and Angry Orchard :/

that and Magners, which is another really good one imo but I don't think many places sell it in the US. then again I haven't really looked that hard.

3 hours ago, malibu said:

its total bullshit that you can't get the ginger strongbow outside of the $20 variety pack

its the best flavor