sona name advice?

Caledonian

As a Scottish Highlander, I find your fascination endearing.

I don't know what a sheep person would be called here though. Angus is a good name, for a bull. Alba is a popular name for horses, as the Gaelic word for Scotland. If Gaelic wasn't a dying language, you'd be able to translate some words on Google, but it is, and so Google doesn't translate for Gaelic (and everywhere you go people will teach you it differently; the official version is in perpetual debate, and the rules change year to year)

Any other names you could take from places wouldn't be very whimsical. I don't buy into fantasy naming, so in my mind "Lewis Munro" or "Angus MacAskill" are fine names. I understand that's not your style though.

Edited by Teto

12 minutes ago, Teto said:

As a Scottish Highlander, I find your fascination endearing.

I don't know what a sheep person would be called here though. Angus is a good name, for a bull. Alba is a popular name for horses, as the Gaelic word for Scotland. If Gaelic wasn't a dying language, you'd be able to translate some words on Google, but it is, and so Google doesn't translate for Gaelic (and everywhere you go people will teach you it differently; the official version is in perpetual debate, and the rules change year to year)

Any other names you could take from places wouldn't be very whimsical. I don't buy into fantasy naming, so in my mind "Lewis Munro" or "Angus MacAskill" are fine names. I understand that's not your style though.

>////////< in front of scottish people my fasination gets embarassing. I can't help myself though I just like the country. I wanted to study at Celtic language and literature but there's absolutely no work in the field.  so I need to scrap that. I have a Scottish friend would like to teach me words now and then so I do know a few words. just a few that is. 

My style is not too realistic. After all Im a steampunk, i like my history alternate and full of fantasy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Teto said:

What does Dalzell come from anyway?

Also, because you like the folklore, I recommend an animated movie called Song of the Sea.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalzell_House

the Dalzell house. I liked the name (despite it being a last name... I made that mistake back when i started on him)

i will look up the movie!!

Selkies are a common Scottish/Irish/Faroese myth, most popular in the Orkney and Shetland isles off the north coast of Scotland. Iceland also has similar myths as well. A seal which takes human form, stuff like that. Song of the Sea is about selkies, and it's a good, nicely animated movie.

Edited by Teto

5 minutes ago, Teto said:

Selkies are a common Scottish/Irish/Faroese myth, most popular in the Orkney and Shetland isles off the north coast of Scotland. Iceland also has similar myths as well. A seal which takes human form, stuff like that. Song of the Sea is about selkies, and it's a good, nicely animated movie.

I know selkies, i've read my share of mythbooks :P i'm well informed on celtic stuff :) 

the movie sounds good too! Definitely looking it up!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...