I may be fucked on my car insurance

VGmaster9

I had just learned that I got a cancellation notice from my car insurance company. Apparently a payment for last month wasn't met, so unless I can talk them into making last month count I have to pay double, otherwise I lose coverage. If I lose coverage I can't drive, if I can't drive I can't work, if I can't work I can't afford the rent, if I can't afford the rent then I either have to move back in with my dad or god knows where else.

I have to wait till Monday to call them so right now there's nothing I can do. Plus, I only have 15 minutes to an hour to be able to call them, cause that's how long my breaks are.

Edited by VGmaster9

2 minutes ago, VGmaster9 said:

But question is, where would I be able to park it? I don't see any spots where that can be done.

Bring it inside like an asshole health elitist. 

But seriously, that sucks; I'd be so stressed right now. I'm sure you'll be able to work things out though!!

Wow, just one month? It took my dad's car insurance quite a few (after his death) before they started calling (although I should have called them asap instead of waiting). Your company sound like my water bill. Miss payment by one day and those turds threaten to cut you off. Yeesh. I missed a payment on electricity (darn bank canceled the charge) and I only found out when I went to go pay next month's (they did get ticked off at my bank though). I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. Companies tend to give a little leeway as they wan your business. Just be nice when explaining your situation and they can probably work something out.

3 hours ago, Butters said:

That's why i hate this car-obsessed culture. If you lose insurance or your car fucks up, everything goes to shit. 

I've got to agree here.  This is entirely not your fault, but why do we put so much value in owning and driving a big hunk of steel?  Do we own our cars or do our cars own us?  What makes cars 'cool' if we generally hate the time we are forced to spend in them?   Sadly most of our communities are designed entirely around cars so alternative modes of transportation are generally not a good option.  I currently work from home and live near downtown and am grateful every day that I don't commute.  Any day spent outside of a car is a good day.  Ironically I work in traffic and transportation planning and road design.  Anyway, if your insurance provider is acting like a dick then drop them and find a new provider, there are many options.  Remember they work for you.

2 hours ago, Strongbob said:

I've got to agree here.  This is entirely not your fault, but why do we put so much value in owning and driving a big hunk of steel? 

they're expensive. that's the only reason I can think of why people value them so much 

Just now, willow said:

they're expensive. that's the only reason I can think of why people value them so much 

I value my car as much as I do because it causes me to spend only 15 minutes getting home as opposed to 45m-1hr. That means an hour and a half to two hours more spent with my spouse at home.

Time is the only thing you have that actually has any real value, spend it wisely. You don't know how much you're going to get with the person you care about most.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VGmaster9 said:

Because if I already sent it out, one would assume the payment has already made. It wasn't until I opened the next bill that I found out.

So you sent your payment for a bill and they just...didn't get it? Or it was late? That sucks. Is there any way you could start doing online bill pay?

1 minute ago, Clove Darkwave said:

So you sent your payment for a bill and they just...didn't get it? Or it was late? That sucks. Is there any way you could start doing online bill pay?

Yeah apparently they didn't get it. I'm gonna pay over the phone first thing, after I talk to them. I'd do it online but I'd rather just talk to them on the phone.

Edited by VGmaster9

Welp, you could always drive without insurance temporarily... Just don't be dumb and get pulled over. I did it for about 6 months when I couldn't afford to pay for it, but it was either that or I don't go to work and let my life get destroyed by my other bills.

You could also shop around for a different/better insurance company.

I second the online bill pay suggestion, it's soooo much easier to track everything when you can see the confirmations of it on your account for yourself instantly, especially if you can do online banking to see when payments actually withdraw (which every bank nowadays supports). No risk of anything being lost in the mail.