Metroid

Rabbit Head

Metroid_Series_logo.png

Time to make a thread about my favorite video game series of all time... 

This is where we discuss everything metroid! Tips? hints? Favorite Metroid memories? Post metroid art, music, reviews, and videos!  I myself am very partial to Metroid Metal's output.

What's the best Metroid game? What is the worst Metroid game? Is Samus really a girl? When the hell will AM2R finally be finished?  When will we get another ACTUAL Metroid game?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Clove Darkwave said:

First for Prime/Zero Mission are the best Metroids. I liked Super a lot, but I don't think it's The Best One.

Thank you for making this thread, I will visit it later to say more and post tons of art.

I noted a distinct lack of Metroid in the game subforum.

Since Metroid is my most absolute favoritest video game series in the world I had to fix this post-haste. 

Also, my personal favorites in the series are Zero Mission, Prime, and Fusion. Fusion in particular I have a lot of memories and love for since it was my first. 

1 hour ago, Clove Darkwave said:

Belatedly realize I said Zero Mission when I meant Fusion. I love Fusion's atmosphere. Forgive it for all railroading just for that and the bosses. Fuck I want to fire it up again now.

It's definitely a beginner's metroid. If person was new to Metroid, they should start with Zero Mission and then proceed to Fusion. If they like these two games, they should go to Super Metroid next. 

And YES, the bosses from Fusion are amazing. They're all memorable and sport great sprite art. 

When I was a kid, I nearly lost my sanity to THIS motherfucker:

1500403-nightmare02.png

Also, have some Metroid art.

metroid_by_oh8-d8ii55e.jpg

what_to_wear_today____by_oh8-d80mo4e.jpg

samus_by_yagaminoue-d7l4h5z.jpg

samus_aran_fan_art_by_torokun.jpg

And what more appropriate to this forum could be than an Anthro Samus?

antrho___samus_aran_by_jesonite.jpg

I can dig it.

• Like 1

I grew up on the first one, but Super stuck to me the hardest. That game had the right mix of atmosphere, music, controls, exploration, and difficulty (at least the first time through) to become and stay my favorite of the series.

Metroid 1 was also one of the first games I ever owned and played to some amount of regularity, along with the original Super Mario Bros.

Also Justin Bailey > Zero Suit.

a81fbfe7e29c4229f44290d03d9cac18.jpg

Along with this, have some space pirate humans I drew a few months ago.
Because I like taking things that furries like, and turning them not-furry.

tumblr_o23z9vxtSF1tcs083o1_1280.png

15 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Bet most people don't know there were TWO variations on the Justin Bailey code. The first variant everyone knows, Justin Bailey in all caps, then the bottom row must have spaces all put in.

You can do Justin Bailey in all caps, and then only put spaces in HALF of the bottom row. You start off with a mixed wave/ice beam (Wave beam projectile sprite, doesn't wave, but has ice beam power.) You do need to beat the bosses still IIRC, but you're otherwise fully armed.

The one that starts you at Kraid?

There's also a variant that lets you start as Justin Bailey at the beginning of the game with nothing.

3 hours ago, 6tails said:

My favorite was the second one on Gameboy. Having a Gameboy color emulator for DOS was a bonus, I'd take my old 75MHz Pentium laptop to school and in my downtime play Return of Samus on a comparatively huge color TFT with nowhere near the ghosting of the old dot matrix screen, with stereo sound through large headphones...

Those shifting Metroids were the bomb.

If metroid 2 is your favorite, you should definitely check THIS out.

• Like 1

Metroid is one of may most sacred franchises in games. A mausoleum I visit often. Prime itself being one of my favorite games of all time, if for a huge amount of sentimentality to go with it. I love everything good about it and do hope one day they can find a way to bring it back, but for now... well... 

18 hours ago, XoPachi said:

That remake is legit as fuck. I've kept up with it for years.

I also play this mod from time to time. 

Metroid Dreadnought is really neat! Totally a realistic depiction of what would happen of Samus was in Doom instead of Doom guy.

By that, I mean she'd be totally OP.

Some of the weapons and their charge abilities are really fun, too.

• Like 1

Ah, Metroid Prime.  Back in 2004 or so, when I bought my GameCube, the GameStop gave me a choice of three games to get as a bonus.  They were Prime, Luigi's Mansion, and Melee.  I chose Prime since the Wal-Mart literally next door had Melee for 30 bucks, so it was the wise choice.  $180 for a brand new Cube, Prime, and Melee, not bad at all.  Shortly after that, Nintendo officially reduced the Cube's MSRP to 100 bucks, so I didn't get cheated.  This should give an approximate idea of how long ago this was.

Prime blew me away with how ahead of everything it was.  It looked great, it ran like a dream, controlled like a dream, the atmosphere was top notch, the music was brilliant.  The only other FPSes I've ever played were Turok 2, Armorines, and Forsaken 64, so I was pleasantly surprised.  Prime was the game that saw the most action from me, since I lived alone and didn't really have friends come over to play Melee.  TT_TT

And... I got stuck.  Someplace.  All I remember is that it was a desert, and there appeared to be some sort of smart ball puzzle that I had to solve.  So I went on to the next game.  Metroid Prime 2 is the very first game I bought off eBay.  That wasn't nearly as engrossing as the first, I only played it for a few hours and then just gave up.  Did I miss out on anything?  Sorry for bogging y'all down with a blog post.

I'm impressed with Prime on a technical level.  I really shows that Nintendo's cute little cube could outdo the Xbox, a machine that literally had a Pentium III and a GeForce 4.  Prime ran at 60FPS, while Halo only ran at a silky smooth 30FPS... incredible...

Also, does anyone have the story of a burglar who tried to break into someone's house, and was caught playing Super Metroid on their SNES?  I'm not sure if it's real or not, but if it is real, it's a testament to that game's design.

18 hours ago, XoPachi said:

The official stuff is grade A.

This was always my favorite Metroid art. From Prime 2's gallery. I always thought it looked extremely heroic as a kid. It's amazing. Samus really is a super hero.

A) That art is some sweet stuff. I really need to make some Metroid fan art. 

B)  I always thought it looked extremely heroic as a kid. It's amazing. Samus really is a super hero.

Why did this sentence make me tear up a little? ;__;

Man, Metroid makes me sentimental as all get-out.

4 hours ago, major lee snake said:

I'm impressed with Prime on a technical level.  I really shows that Nintendo's cute little cube could outdo the Xbox, a machine that literally had a Pentium III and a GeForce 4.  Prime ran at 60FPS, while Halo only ran at a silky smooth 30FPS... incredible...

Metroid Prime still looks good today despite being over a decade old. I don't know WHAT witch craft they cast over the game that let's it age so well. 

Gamecube is my second favorite game console (right behind SNES), IDGAF about the lack of online play or whatever, that console it the little system that COULD. It had so many good games on it as well. 

Anyways, Here's Wonderwall.

metroid_by_doomnipple.jpgmetroid_by_robinwouters-d8ep8nu.jpgsamus_aran_open_hatch_by_torokun.jpg

• Like 1

4ffcf60183d963aee607e74b177f6a63.jpg

7b74d5d8d6b33b4c6f91062545fb427d.jpg

8973150ce956407a7ee6e804d30b97d8.jpg

Also, I actually really dig the look of Samus's OG suit from the first game. It's archaic looking in a really cool way and it doesn't get a lot of love. The arm cannon that has cables coming out of it and the skinny gun-like arm cannon itself gives the suit this kind of retro-futuristic feel. 

m1art_np2.jpg

m1art_np3.jpg

Fun-Club-Art-2.jpg

OG power suit is the most underrated suit out if them all. Seriously metroid fans, why no love?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

Vid is old as dirt~ but I love the choreography of it all the same~ Samus is such a badass.

I honestly wonder if Bungie was inspired at all by Samus' armor when they designed Lord King.

Prime came out precisely one year and two days after Halo.  Holy shit.

21 hours ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

Vid is old as dirt~ but I love the choreography of it all the same~ Samus is such a badass.

uuuuuugh. I was really enjoying it til they removed her armor and he fought in the zero suit >:( .

Why in all these versus vids they ALWAYS remove her armor? Especially since it's always removed in such a ham-fisted way. An electric sword? Really? Samus' armor can and HAS taken way more abuse than THAT.

They did it in Death Battle Samus vs. boba fett, too.  

Sorry, it's a pet-peeve of mine.

Anyway, I'm going to post some official Super Metroid art.

metroid2_03.jpg

metroid2_04.jpg

Samus_artwork_13.jpg

Samus_artwork_6.jpg

Smart_cartoon04.jpg

smart_sam08.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Head said:

uuuuuugh. I was really enjoying it til they removed her armor and he fought in the zero suit >:( .

Why in all these versus vids they ALWAYS remove her armor? Especially since it's always removed in such a ham-fisted way. An electric sword? Really? Samus' armor can and HAS taken way more abuse than THAT.

They did it in Death Battle Samus vs. boba fett, too.  

Sorry, it's a pet-peeve of mine.

I dunno, seems like all Samus has to do in the game is sneeze wrong and she loses her armor and power ups. Happens every game really.

Just now, GarthTheWereWolf said:

I dunno, seems like all Samus has to do in the game is sneeze wrong and she loses her armor and power ups. Happens every game really.

The armor downgrades in the games, sure, but it doesn't come off.

(even in the games it's kinda dumb. Prime, I love ya, but I'm looking at you.)

1 minute ago, Rabbit Head said:

The armor downgrades in the games, sure, but it doesn't come off.

(even in the games it's kinda dumb. Prime, I love ya, but I'm looking at you.)

Yea, but it does happen enough I think its fair for people to consider it canon that Samus regularly has clothing malfunctions. Lol

37 minutes ago, 6tails said:

I wonder what Nintendo is hinting at?

Isn't Federation Force supposed to be coming out soon?  That might be it.  And Metroid is one of those franchises that was only popular in the west, and despite most of Nintendo's relevance coming from the west, Nintendo only cares about Japan first and foremost.

I always viewed the Zero Suits as just...underarmor. I never cared, but they make sense and serve a function. I think the interesting thing about ZSS is her agility and nimble movement outside of the Power Armor. 

She's weaker, but not entirely vulnerable depending on the environment. But you know, tight clothes. Gets attention over cohesive, intricate armor designs, sadly.

The Other M suit for me was the weakest. Really overly simple and not as intimidating. 

• 2 months later...
32 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

But guys, we need to get to the bottle ship!

The BOTTLE ship!

Bottle...

Like a BABY bottle...

SYMBOLISM!!!

I'll just be sitting here BOTTLing up all my anguish,
so I don't let out a BABY'S CRY like a BABY,

because this game has turned my idol into A DAMsel in distress.