Rave: I got my first car!

TrishaCat

Recently the mother of one of my friends decided to sell her car, and when my mom inquired about it, they said that they would sell it to us for $800. My mom called and asked me if I wanted it, and I said that if it ran and had functioning air conditioners and heaters, sure. And after a bit of uncertainty from the seller, the lady finally decided to sell it after my friends said they didn't want the car. So my mom bought me a car, and extremely cheap too! I don't think I could ever get a deal this good otherwise! I'm so happy! I got my first car!

I'm currently away from home so I haven't gotten to see it yet, and all I know about it at the moment is that it was made in 2002 (possibly 2003. I forgot the exact conversation I had with my mother) and that it was indeed a car. I think I've seen their car before, so I think from memory its silver in color? I'll be calling my mom to ask for the details tomorrow. Well anyways I just felt like making this rave! Its so awesome to finally be getting a car!

And the funny thing is, is that I don't even have a license or permit yet. I had a permit once, but its been years. Now I have incentive to get my permit and finally finish learning how to drive!

EDIT: I found out what model it is! Its a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

Get ready for the incredibly adult experience of paying money so that something continues to function the way it normally should.

Super unsatisfying! 

Car repairs sound incredibly un-fun.

Welp, time for me to be Debbie Downer. I've had my fair share of lemons and I'd like to share what I know so others don't make the same mistakes.

Congratulations on your car, although the $800 pricetag has me worried. Ideally there's nothing major wrong with it and you just got the family friend discount, but I hope you have a stable income and some money stashed away in the event something does happen. Depending on where the previous owner(s) lived and how they treated the vehicle you could have just made an $800 mistake, but let's hope this was just a really good deal.

From what I've seen, vehicles under $1000 are in pretty bad condition and are barely even running if at all. If the money's already changed hands it's a bit too late to check it out and change your mind, but if not I'd strongly advise taking a look yourself. You don't have to be an expert or really know much mechanically, but look at the condition of the vehicle, especially under the body and under the hood.

In my experience, the biggest things to look out for are rust, anything that's noticeably broken, fluid leaks, and wires. It doesn't matter how small or insignificant a wire may look, if it's frayed or broken it will cause problems somewhere, sometime. If and when you start driving it, make sure you keep up on the oil changes. Learn some basic maintenance yourself, like checking the oil and changing tires. When you get the oil changed, if you don't do it yourself, at least check the oil as soon as you can to make sure the shop actually did put the right amount in. Most of the time they're good about that, but if they screw around and your engine seizes up, you'll have a 3,500lb garden decoration.

Most importantly, when you do have to take the thing to a mechanic, don't try to lie or hide things, no matter how embarrassing it may be. Even if you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about, try and explain what the problem is as best you can. A lot of shops have people (usually the guy at the counter who you talk to and pay) who act as a mediator between mechanics and customers and who translate "normie" into "gearhead". It's a lot like trying to hide things from the doctor -- they might find it eventually on their, but it'll be a lot easier if you just tell them up front.

Anyway, all that aside, congratulations on your first vehicle, hopefully you enjoy it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 6tails said:

They are unless you're mechanically-minded or adept at learning such things.

You might be lucky enough to find a Haynes manual for your vehicle. Do it. Read it. That is the bible for your vehicle. It is THE WORD.

Just out of interest, as you seem like you know your stuff when it comes to cars, would it be wrong of me to assume you drive a manual?

14 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

Pro Tip.

Don't ever repair an $800 car.

If it breaks throw it out and get another $800 car. 

Based on the condition of this car (which I believe is really good), I actually think it'd probably be cheaper to repair it should there ever be issues with it. Its in really good condition as far as I'm aware. I just got a really lucky deal. I don't think I'd find a decent car at that price normally.

I have been told that it may need its brakes fixed and battery replaced though.

1 minute ago, Battlechili said:

Based on the condition of this car (which I believe is really good), I actually think it'd probably be cheaper to repair it should there ever be issues with it. Its in really good condition as far as I'm aware. I just got a really lucky deal. I don't think I'd find a decent car at that price normally.

I have been told that it may need its brakes fixed and battery replaced though.

If a repair costs more than $800 you're throwing money in the trash. 

• Like 1

Ah yes I remember those days. My first car was a bomb, but it was fun to drive. I was as excited as you are right now too. Then several cars later I realise now that they are more of a pain in their upkeep as they are a thrill. Still, was fun while it lasted I spose.

Anyways look at me rambling on - congrats on the car xox