Guy refuses to cooperate with cop at DUI checkpoint

Crazy Lee

Having an uncle in the force, and knowing that he and his colleagues are some of the nicest human beings I've come to know, I can't say I'll ever agree with the widespread attitude of "all cops are pigs" and whatnot.

I've a ton of respect for policemen. I pity the ones who have to deal with that kind of people.

On 6/15/2016 at 10:04 PM, DevilBear said:

And I just want to add, the cases of a cop abusing his authority are few and far between, but the recent atmosphere of "fuck the police" has turned many a police officer into a paranoid nut. Couple this with a lack of manpower, several high-profile (yet very isolated) incidents of abuse of power, the militarization of police, and the ease of getting weapons in this country is creating the perfect storm for distrust between the various law enforcement agencies and the civilian population. There is no easy way to rectify any of these issues, but being aware of them is the first step in fixing them.

Hi there Mr. "I haven't actually dealt with the cops, but I'm going to pull assertions out of my butt" :V

I love all these responses, "I know this cop in person, and I haven't ever seen him as a cop but I know he is a good cop even though I haven't seen it".

They are not "few and far between", by any stretch of the imagination.

It's happened to me TWICE.

First time I was with a friend and we were getting harassed (well okay, not without cause seeing how I was drunk and it was the Fourth of July, but it seemed that way at the time) by two cops, and keep in mind I'm not a very big person. The two fat-ass doughnut gobblers took me down and literally jumped on top of me, and fucked my arm up enough the whole thing was a bruise and I couldn't move it for about a week. My friend took pictures because he saw the whole thing and it looked really fucked up, but my lawyer told me there wasn't anything I could do about it.

The second time, I got jumped by three people and I didn't even fight back because I didn't want to hurt them. The police came and wanted me to go to a hospital even though there was nothing wrong with me and said I wasn't under arrest but I could tell the guy's partner was under training and then they booked me anyway even when I told them I just started a new job. For doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG.

So please, blow smoke up someone else's ass.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Naw, all cops are part-time Klan members who get pay raises based on how many uppity negros they kill.

They also get a bonus based on how much they personally inconvenience you in particular.

It wasn't too long ago that was actually the case in half the nation. 

1 hour ago, Butters said:

In a lot of cases, their kkk daddies taught them the same sorta racism. It didn't just magically go away. 

Like the rest of the planet, it depends on the department and ultimately the individual cop's.

Don't act like a fuckhead, and you'll generally be alright.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Don't act like a fuckhead, and you'll generally be alright.

You should get in trouble for a crime and not for failure to suck up to a police officer. I pay their taxes and they work for me, I shouldn't have to be nice to them (and trust me, I can be quite the fucking prick depending how much they piss me off).

9 minutes ago, Ricky said:

You should get in trouble for a crime and not for failure to suck up to a police officer. I pay their taxes and they work for me, I shouldn't have to be nice to them (and trust me, I can be quite the fucking prick depending how much they piss me off).

Aw, the nice 'ol officer probably just wants to cuddle the cute, little, fluffy bun-buns!

In handcuffs. OK, so they're a bit kinky.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ricky said:

You should get in trouble for a crime and not for failure to suck up to a police officer.

Being a decent human being and not acting like a complete asshole isn't "sucking up".

5 hours ago, Ricky said:

I pay their taxes and they work for me...

No, they work for the police department.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Being a decent human being and not acting like a complete asshole isn't "sucking up".

You missed the entire point. You said "don't act like a fuckhead and you'll be okay." So basically you are saying that cops should be allowed to be vindictive and abuse their power if you aren't nice to them.

That's the reason I hate cops. They ACTUALLY DO THAT which was totally my fucking point, besides the fact that I CAN LEGALLY be a fuckhead, or complete asshole if I want, and that isn't grounds to arrest me.

1 hour ago, PastryOfApathy said:

No, they work for the police department.

Again. Way to miss the entire point.

I don't even have to explain where the police department gets their funding or where the laws are made that they enforce. The point (which you honestly should have understood in the first place) is that they are civil servants and their job is to serve the public, not be vindictive assholes who abuse their power because of some kind of superiority complex.

Try again.

Just now, Ricky said:

You missed the entire point. You said "don't act like a fuckhead and you'll be okay." So basically you are saying that cops should be allowed to be vindictive and abuse their power if you aren't nice to them.

That's the reason I hate cops. They ACTUALLY DO THAT which was totally my fucking point, besides the fact that I CAN LEGALLY be a fuckhead, or complete asshole if I want, and that isn't grounds to arrest me.

The vast majority of cops aren't "vindictive" and don't regularly "abuse their power" for shit's and giggles.

Funny story actually, one time a cop stopped me in a parking lot as I was leaving after a job interview since he was somewhat suspicious of me since I was alone in an empty parking lot at like 9pm looking at my phone or something dumb.

It was kinda bullshit and legally I could have told him to fuck off seeing as I didn't actually do anything, but instead I cooperated and the cop turned out to be really nice, offered me a ride home and the whole "ordeal" lasted at most 1 minute.

The point I'm trying to make is pick your fucking battles, especially when it comes to the police. If you have an issue, bring it either the station or the courts since acting like an asshole to the cop in question will only hurt your case. Call it "sucking up" all you want, it's really called not being an idiot.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

The point I'm trying to make is pick your fucking battles, especially when it comes to the police. If you have an issue, bring it either the station or the courts since acting like an asshole to the cop in question will only hurt your case. Call it "sucking up" all you want, it's really called not being an idiot.

I do pick my battles. The harder they are, the more I want to fight. Trust me, you have no idea who I am and what I've gotten away with.

I don't disagree with what you are saying. It is how you said it before, and what is inherently flawed about it. You are saying "be nice to them and you should be okay." I am saying that it should not work that way. That is all.

It shouldn't be about "picking battles" when you are talking to a police officer. Don't you see how that's just a little fucked up?

I don't understand how people get into tiffs with the police to begin with. Most people I see get into tiffs are asswipes or people who want to wave "Muh Rughts" when asked a simple question like "May I see your license please?"

Reminds me of the trolley thug that thought it was okay to harass people by dropping some racial slurs cause it was "Thy 1st Amendment Right" then picked a fight with a cop who was trying to remove him from the trolley. That ended up with him in hand cuffs and people clapping, but more likely than not, that ended up with him posting a giant wall of text on facebook about how he "Stood up to tha man" and "go to my gofundme page to help me afford a lawyer".

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

I don't understand how people get into tiffs with the police to begin with. Most people I see get into tiffs are asswipes or people who want to wave "Muh Rughts" when asked a simple question like "May I see your license please?"

Most people are idiots. I don't know how many times I've heard people threaten lawsuits at the people working at the shelters here. I'm not sure if this was directed at me, but "starting tiffs" isn't the same as not putting up with shit, and most people walk on eggshells around cops because they are afraid of them.

I'm not afraid of anybody.

1 hour ago, Ricky said:

Most people are idiots. I don't know how many times I've heard people threaten lawsuits at the people working at the shelters here. I'm not sure if this was directed at me, but "starting tiffs" isn't the same as not putting up with shit, and most people walk on eggshells around cops because they are afraid of them.

I'm not afraid of anybody.

Not really directed at you, but I dunno, I've never been confronted by a cop in my 25 years on this earth. Most cops I've come in contact with have been friendly. Most scenarios I've seen (public transportation, you get a lot), the people being confronted deserved it. The ones "not putting up with shit" were put in the wake of shit for taking the first shit on someone/something figuratively and literally.

Not to be rude, but you've hinted throughout plenty of thread of doing some sketchy things, what's not to say that the cops suspicions of such people go without warrant when specific behavior sort of goes hand-in-hand for people up to no good? 

I can't really say 'no offense', because no matter how I phrase it, it's going to sound somewhat spiteful, but I'm genuinely curious. Maybe it's a rebel thing, but I really don't know. I never found myself in the position where I've ever been caught up in the law other than a bullshit traffic ticket, but that was dished out to me by a robotic camera that said I ran a red light by .005 seconds. Then again, I never really was into anything illegal except for jay walking. Perhaps its a slippery slope that starts with the first offense which leads to a bad run in with dealing with cops, which results in a hate and disdain for the authorities. Maybe someone just played too much grand theft auto. Who knows really. 

While you do have a point, it is a pretty myopic view and I like to look at things from both sides. It is pretty obvious my proclivities relate to having more experience than most with law enforcement, and much if not most of this stems from my disposition to do crazy things. Still, the sole fact that I have that experience should at the very least say that I've dealt with a few negative ones which were not handled as they should.

9 hours ago, Toshabi said:

Not to be rude, but you've hinted throughout plenty of thread of doing some sketchy things, what's not to say that the cops suspicions of such people go without warrant when specific behavior sort of goes hand-in-hand for people up to no good? 

Where there is smoke there is fire, and behavior is usually grounds for probable cause, but that is a slippery slope when behavior becomes looks for example, or guilt by association. If someone sees some police officers and runs for it, it would probably make sense to say "Whoa, wait a minute, what is going on?" but this is the same type of behavior that causes them to target minority groups, the poor or homeless, etc.

I digress though, this isn't very relevant to my point which was many (if not most) police officers tend to leverage their power to garner some sense of control over the normal population. The police force attracts a certain type of person who wants control over people to give them some false sense of superiority. Most of them don't stay objective, something most lawyers and judges, not to mention doctors and other highly specialized professionals are able to do, which requires refrain from making decisions based on emotion, like most people do just by their nature. It is one thing to say someone is innocent until proven guilty, but the reality is that plenty of innocent people get arrested and are held for up to 30 days, or sometimes worse. This can cause serious problems with someone's work or life in general, and many states allow places of work to check pending charges to consider someone for employment, when in no way has guilt for that individual been established. It isn't reasonable to think this problem should be delegated to people working in a field where the average IQ (sometimes mandated) is around 70.

I've had an experience where I was innocent but was arrested without  grounds for probable cause, and I've encountered an obvious excessive use of force, which my lawyer layer told me isn't even worth pursuing. The latter mind you, was in Florida, which has a reputation for unreasonable law enforcement practices, bit still serves as an example here, with the caveat that some places are better than others in this respect. I jumped out of a police car window wearing ears and tails after trying to drive off with it handcuffed, so I wouldn't say the arrest in that case was without cause. They did stick me with a felony aggressive assault on a law enforcement officer, which was baseless, dramatically increased bail and legal fees. My main complaint was two fat cops jumping on a small unarmed person who wasn't even resisting (I don't think) and restraining in such a way he was unable to use his arm for a week after that.

The battery charge was simply bullshit and it is also unreasonable to have someone arrested by others simply lying about an event that took place. A good analogy is the Salem Witch Trials, it isn't that far off.

22 hours ago, Ricky said:

I hate to break this too you, but if you are are jerk to almost any body then guess what a lot of them are going to be vindictive right back.  This isn't some attitude magically limited to just cops.  You yell at and insult your waiter then guess who is going to have wait quite a bit longer for their food and that is if they don't decide to put anything else in it.  You act like a dick to your cashier then watch us every possible thing that can possibly slow your transaction down manages to crop up all at once.

This is something many people just do.  If you aren't nice to them then they tend to be vindictive and spiteful right back at ya.  Are police in a position where they can potentially cause large amounts of harm by engaging in this behavior?  Yes.  Should we expect more from those we choose to act as protectors of the public?  Absolutely.  However you can't act as if this is some problem caused by putting on a uniform and badge instead of a problem endemic to human nature.

10 hours ago, Ricky said:

Most of them don't stay objective, something most lawyers and judges, not to mention doctors and other highly specialized professionals are able to do, which requires refrain from making decisions based on emotion, like most people do just by their nature.

Buddy if you think doctors are some sort of paragons of rationality that are able to put their emotions aside in order to make correct judgements then I have some bad news for you.  Frequently medical procedures with very severe side effects are adopted well before they are proven to work, but doctors will still administer these procedures just because they want to feel like they are doing something.  One need only look at the (sadly) ever expanding reach of Complimentary and Alternative Medicine within medicine to see even more examples of doctors making decisions based on emotion rather then on evidence.

Really the problems you seem to see in cops are just problems faced by people of all walks of life.  The appearance of these problems is amplified due to the nature of the work that police officers engage in, but these are problems faced by all people in every possible profession.

12 minutes ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

This is something many people just do.  If you aren't nice to them then they tend to be vindictive and spiteful right back at ya.  Are police in a position where they can potentially cause large amounts of harm by engaging in this behavior?  Yes.  Should we expect more from those we choose to act as protectors of the public?  Absolutely.  However you can't act as if this is some problem caused by putting on a uniform and badge instead of a problem endemic to human nature.

That's why we have laws to try and prevent that stuff. It doesn't mean what is there is enough. You're really not following any of this, are you? I mean, I spelled it out already, I explained why the very thing you are saying wasn't even relevant to my point in my response to Toshabi, and you can't even grasp the simple concept I was getting at, when everyone else reading this thread obviously had no problem after that. Good going, there.

12 minutes ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

Buddy if you think doctors are some sort of paragons of rationality that are able to put their emotions aside in order to make correct judgements then I have some bad news for you.  Frequently medical procedures with very severe side effects are adopted well before they are proven to work, but doctors will still administer these procedures just because they want to feel like they are doing something.  One need only look at the (sadly) ever expanding reach of Complimentary and Alternative Medicine within medicine to see even more examples of doctors making decisions based on emotion rather then on evidence.

Right yeah, they do it just to make themselves feel better. Can you honestly read anything you wrote and convince yourself it shows even the slightest amount of intelligence? No really, can you?

Do yourself a favor, re-read everything I posted in this thread, try to understand and maybe you won't come off as completely ignorant of everything that goes on around you.

Or actually, fuck. Who am I kidding. You think doctors perform experimental procedures on people to "make themselves feel better." On second though, just stop posting.

Just now, Ricky said:

Right yeah, they do it just to make themselves feel better. Can you honestly read anything you wrote and convince yourself it shows even the slightest amount of intelligence? No really, can you?

Or actually, fuck. Who am I kidding. You think doctors perform experimental procedures on people to make themselves "feel better." On second though, just stop posting.

Yes actually you might want to look up on the matter here

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/

Lots of stories from doctors of events they personally witnessed along with examination of actual studies demonstrating doctor's doing the very things I described.

How about instead of just assuming you know everything about doctors and that everyone else is an idiot it would behoove you to read up on the matter.

3 minutes ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

Yes actually you might want to look up on the matter here

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/

Lots of stories from doctors of events they personally witnessed along with examination of actual studies demonstrating doctor's doing the very things I described.

How about instead of just assuming you know everything about doctors and that everyone else is an idiot it would behoove you to read up on the matter.

The rise and fall of vitamin D..

Great argument there :V

I'll assume since you're tossing random bullshit links at me now, you don't have  valuable to add. 

Just now, Ricky said:

The rise and fall of vitamin D..

Great argument there :V

I'll assume since you're tossing random bullshit links at me now, you don't have anhthing valuable to add. 

Its a blog they generally post every day of the week except Saturday and Sunday.  That just happens to be the post for today and if without me even intending too it partially proves my point.  The whole post is about the number of things doctors will recommend Vitamin D supplementation to treat, but that there is little to no evidence that it works in many of those cases.  Then there are the cases in which Vitamin D supplementation actually causes harm, but doctors continue to recommend it anyway.  Now replace Vitamin D with some new prescription drug with its laundry list of side effects and you can see how bad things get sometimes.

If you spend time looking through it or follow it for a while you will see many more situations like the above and some much much worse.

2 hours ago, Ricky said:

It is off topic irrelevant nonsense.

Quit posting.

No its me establishing a point that I was using to deconstruct your argument that cops are inherently bad people who abuse their authority.  It is directly related to the topic at hand.  Meanwhile you just are just trying to dismiss offhand any evidence that might speak out against the narrative you want to construct.

52 minutes ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

No its me establishing a point that I was using to deconstruct your argument that cops are inherently bad people who abuse their authority.  It is directly related to the topic at hand.  Meanwhile you just are just trying to dismiss offhand any evidence that might speak out against the narrative you want to construct.

Vitamin D has nothing to do with anything. It's not "off-hand evidence" of anything except that you posted a link to an entire website claiming it is evidence, as if that's even a reasonable way to source information.

Since you are so dedicated to the subject of vitamin D, or whatever the point of contention was, and obviously naïve on the way forums work, I'll go ahead and make this a new thread.

1 hour ago, Ricky said:

Vitamin D has nothing to do with anything. It's not "off-hand evidence" of anything except that you posted a link to an entire website claiming it is evidence, as if that's even a reasonable way to source information.

Since you are so dedicated to the subject of vitamin D, or whatever the point of contention was, and obviously naïve on the way forums work, I'll go ahead and make this a new thread.

No in order to defend your point that cops are bad you made an assertion that doctors are less prone to making emotional choices.  In order to counter that assertion I demonstrated that doctors are just as prone to ignore the evidence at hand and instead making health care decisions for their patients based on emotion rather then reason.

You can't make an assertion to back up your original point and then claim that any one attacking that assertion is being off topic.

3 hours ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

No in order to defend your point that cops are bad you made an assertion that doctors are less prone to making emotional choices.  In order to counter that assertion I demonstrated that doctors are just as prone to ignore the evidence at hand and instead making health care decisions for their patients based on emotion rather then reason.

You can't make an assertion to back up your original point and then claim that any one attacking that assertion is being off topic.

That has nothing to do with the argument. It's part of an aside poking fun at the average IQ of a police officer.

Are you on drugs?