Rant: Moving day, hurray

LadyRadarEars

Just need to vent for a bit because had an awful day yesterday, ha. Lease came up in old apartment, because they decided to bump up next year's rent by like, three hundred dollars, so nope not gonna do that. Our original choice of apartment that we were going to move into had a watermain break, flooding the room that was reserved for us, so we got set back by about a week (thankfully they refunded all of the application fees and stuff.) So we end up going with our second choice. Its not all that bad, pretty cheap for a ground floor, and we rent a uhaul and spend literally the entire day moving furniture and our stuff down a flight of stairs. (I own like, six crates of books that each are around the 90 lb range or so because half of it is my mother's library and the other half is stuff I've gotten or bought <.<)

Outside of my limp noodle arms and back pain, we managed to get everything loaded, more or less, though we had to drop the uhaul truck back at the depot and grab my room-mate's car in order to have enough room for everything. The problem was that we had to go back to the depot, figure out a way to shuffle more stuff into it, and then head back to the apartment and fill the last of it. Naturally it started raining, with wind and lightning everywhere, and all of our coats and spare clothes were in the uhaul already, so we had to wait a few minutes for it to let up before heading outside in the rain. Whooo.

And because our second choice apartment was waiting on money in order to actually start the filing process, we had to skip back to his dad's house for a day while they find an apartment and prepare it.

Awesome.

Other than that, whoo its a lot cheaper than we were paying, and a ground floor to boot. Then we get to move everything back out of the uhaul truck, set up the electricity and internet, and not move for an entire day!

Moving sucks.

I've been through...about 15 moves. So yeah, I know a bit about it.

Last time we moved, dad screwed things up with the U-Haul and got things delayed so bad that by the time we had unpacked enough to just get through the night, I could barely stand, I was so tired I felt insane and at the verge of tears, I was freezing due to the heat having been off, and I needed to be up in about 3 hours to find the route to walk to a full day of work. Good tiems.

But once you're settled in, it's worth it.

I hate books. I rarely read anymore but when I do I download the stuff. I was so glad to get rid of my DVD and CD collections back in the day. I have two shelfs of books now. I can't bring myself to get rid of them even though I never re-read them. All good stuff too. I do occasionally reference them. 

On 6/17/2016 at 1:42 PM, DrGravitas said:

I love having physical books too much to go completely digital (not that many if the ones I read ever seem to be available in digital, anyhow). So, I am pretty much doomed to lugging ever more boxes whenever I move. I don't see that happening all that much more, though.

I like having digital copies but there's just nothing that can replace the feeling of pulling out some dead trees and curling up in the sun to read it.

And in some cases I end up getting multiple copies of the same books, too.

On the news of the move, settled in mostly whee, still unpacking. Building is old though so the insulation is utter shit, so inside its almost always like 80 degrees no matter what we set the AC to. It seems to be on a ten degree difference, set AC to 72, it becomes 82, etc

On the other hand, closer to town, so we can have italian, mediterranean, and chinese food delivered right to our doorstep.

I'm going to end up getting so fat, probably.

• Like 1

Moving sucks. Why does it always seem like the more stuff you load in the truck or dump in the trash, the more there is to move? So annoying. I hear you about books. During my last move, my car looked like a lowrider with all the books in there.

The landlord kept raising the rent, so I bought a house.

Just now, DrGravitas said:

Once a month?! D:

What do they have you do while it's being fumigated?

Well first we have to do most of their work for them and move everything away from the walls, or they charge us, and second, we have to basically vacate for the entire fuming process and two hours afterwards, but that may as well be for the entire day, so we'll probably skip down to my foster parents' house to have dinner that night.

• Like 1