Visiting the US (AC & beyond)

aeroxwolf

Hey all, time for me to pop my thread cherry on this newly established forum.

I know it's almost a year in advance, but I like to plan ahead.

So, I'm planning to attend AnthroCon 2016I'm so excited and looking forward to meeting you guys there (if you attend). Now, since the flights from England to Pittsburgh range from £500-1000, I want to get the most out of the situation by staying in the US for 2-3 weeks. I need a little advice on which state(s) to visit during my stay. I'm travelling on my own, so have absolute freedom to go wherever I please. but since i have a limited time period and an estimated budget of £2-3000, I'm thinking of sticking to the north-east state(s) that are closest to Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania

New York

Massachusetts

Connecticut

Maryland 

DC

Virginia 

I have a travel book of the entire US which which is awesome. if you want to find the best restaurants, bars, hotels and attractions, you can find it in there. But since it's me we're talking about, I'd just like to get some opinions from people who have actually visited or live in those states.

Where should I go and why?

Don't do it, it's a trap! D:

I dunno why foreigners think it's so great here. I told my British friend who insists that he's going to visit yet again that I think the only reason he likes it so much is because he doesn't have to stay here.

Buuuuut I suppose if you have to, you should def be a typical tourist and either hit NYC or DC. Pittsburgh PA is ok, I lived there briefly for about 3 months. Didn't get to see much, but I liked the feel of the city overall for some reason, except for the time I got lost trying to find a bus that took me home in the middle of winter... I would send you to my friend's restaurant and tell you to troll him for me. >3 That would be fun. So yeh, that'd be a solid pick if you didn't want to be a typical tourist.

Don't do it, it's a trap! D:

I dunno why foreigners think it's so great here. I told my British friend who insists that he's going to visit yet again that I think the only reason he likes it so much is because he doesn't have to stay here.

Buuuuut I suppose if you have to, you should def be a typical tourist and either hit NYC or DC. Pittsburgh PA is ok, I lived there briefly for about 3 months. Didn't get to see much, but I liked the feel of the city overall for some reason, except for the time I got lost trying to find a bus that took me home in the middle of winter... I would send you to my friend's restaurant and tell you to troll him for me. >3 That would be fun. So yeh, that'd be a solid pick if you didn't want to be a typical tourist.

tell me where that restaurant is. I'll troll your friend by wearing a top hat and suit, with the most stereotypical British accent ever!

NYC does sound like a no brainer, as it will have everything i could want as a tourist. However, i don't want to be confined to a city. They're extremely busy and expensive. I could spend a few days in the city, but then I'd like to go somewhere quiet and chilled, where i can do some sight seeing and other activities. 

Niagara Falls -  New York is only a quick 3 hour drive north of AC, and Toronto only an hour further north-east from there.  Being English, you shouldn't have any problems entering Canada, but do check that they'll let you back into the US if you make the trip across the boarder.  The Yanks have some quirky rules.

Or just stay on the US side and enjoy the view of the Falls, one of the seven wonders of the World.

If you want something within driving distance, why not try Ohio along the coast of Lake Erie? Cleveland is about 2 hours from Pittburgh, and Sandusky (home of Cedar Point) is not far either if you like amusement parks. Ohio is also more affordable, and we have the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Pittsburgh is chock full of cultural mini-areas. Within walking distance of the DLCC is a little place called the Strip District, which sounds like a whole town of strippers. It's not. Instead, it's a street of many wonderful little specialty shops. Enrico's makes scones, cookies, and biscotti. Penn Mac sells dried fruists, nuts, Italian meats cheeses, and freshest bread. Stamooli's does too. Stan's sells fruits and vegetables at great prices, and Wholey's has more seafood than you could shake a reasonably-priced stick at. Secondhand book shops, Indian for shops, Asian food shops, a place for hand-knit sweaters and pashmina scarves... It's worth visiting. 

Northeast by a several hour drive is Moraine state park, which is massive and madly beautiful. Further north still is Presquisle, right on Erie lake's beach. If you want to kip overnight on the beach itself, bring a tent to Sara's campground and $50. It's right next to an amusement park too, Wildameer. Dunno if I'm spelling that right though. 

Niagara Falls -  New York is only a quick 3 hour drive north of AC, and Toronto only an hour further north-east from there.  Being English, you shouldn't have any problems entering Canada, but do check that they'll let you back into the US if you make the trip across the boarder.  The Yanks have some quirky rules.

Or just stay on the US side and enjoy the view of the Falls, one of the seven wonders of the World.

If you do Niagara Falls then you definitely want to just skip the US side and just head straight to the Canadian one. The US side is better than it used to be, but it's still a miserable, run-down tourist trap with absolutely nothing do aside from trying to shove past people to look at the falls.

If you do Niagara Falls then you definitely want to just skip the US side and just head straight to the Canadian one. The US side is better than it used to be, but it's still a miserable, run-down tourist trap with absolutely nothing do aside from trying to shove past people to look at the falls.

The view from the US side is better, because you can see Canada.... ;p  Defintely less seedy on the Canuck side, we have Clifton Hill and the Falls Strip that are worth spending a day just soaking in the campy, kischy 1950's art deco environment.  The Maid of the Mist trip into the basin of the falls is worth it too.