What to do with a lost dog

Tyranno

Please be mature - do not say "rape it" or "start a Korean restaurant".

So I was walking down a beach when a dog approached and I asked the only other people on the beach if it was their dog, but it wasn't. The only other people in sight were fishing so it didn't seem like something you'd take a dog.

I followed it around, and fortunately ran into the owners shortly afterwards.

But something happens again what is the correct procedure for findings dogs with apparently no owners around?

14 minutes ago, Tyranno said:

Please be mature

They might prove me wrong, but chances are you're on the wrong forum for that =v

Anyways, dogs that are just idly wandering around a seemingly vacant place are, sadly, abandoned in a lot of cases. It's good that you just kept an eye on it instead of approaching it or calling it over to you. If nobody's claiming the dog, though, it's probably either lost or abandoned. Honestly, I never take a stray dog in because I don't have the patience for a completely untrained animal in my house anymore (and oftentimes people ditch their dogs because they didn't have the patience or knowledge of how to train it). If you are going to take it in, though, put up posters so that your conscience doesn't make you think you're a nasty dognapper. If nobody calls, congrats, you're stuck with an undomesticated dog unless you, too, ditch it or spend a longass time training it. And the cycle goes on...

(this is why many people just leave stray animals alone)

Seriously, people, pets are a fucking commitment. There's a reason the Florida Everglades are so fucked. Just replace dogs with snakes (well, dogs too).

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Eggdodger said:

Seriously, people, pets are a fucking commitment. There's a reason the Florida Everglades are so fucked. Just replace dogs with snakes (well, dogs too).

Can confirm, back before I fled my homeland due to the python invasion, the pythons were at war with the gator populations, it was like  manifest destiny of the reptiles, man, them bellyslithers been wiping out the native population of leggers. 

You be finding these things on your doorsteps, in your cars, your swimming pools...nobody wants them. An' before you know it they become their own master, overtake the land and the country.

Things are straight up feral down in the panhandle, I tells ya

Just now, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Can confirm, back before I fled my homeland due to the python invasion, the pythons were at war with the gator populations, it was like  manifest destiny of the reptiles, man, them bellyslithers been wiping out the native population of leggers. 

You be finding these things on your doorsteps, in your cars, your swimming pools...nobody wants the. An' before you know it they become their own master, overtake the land and the country.

Things are straight up feral down in the panhandle, I tells ya

I don't know how you ever survived.

1 hour ago, Tyranno said:

Please be mature - do not say "rape it" or "start a Korean restaurant".

So I was walking down a beach when a dog approached and I asked the only other people on the beach if it was their dog, but it wasn't. The only other people in sight were fishing so it didn't seem like something you'd take a dog.

I followed it around, and fortunately ran into the owners shortly afterwards.

But something happens again what is the correct procedure for findings dogs with apparently no owners around?

Rape Culture!!!

Shelter's probably the best place. If you live in a close community and are part of any facebook groups, I've seen lost animals get reunited with their owners within hours, just cause of the high chance of someone reading any post you put up knowing who the owner is.