Shin Megami Tensei

TrishaCat

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final was announced and it appears to be an entirely new game (apparently in the same sort of relationship that Devil Survivor 2 has to Devil Survivor). The game will be released for 3DS and it appears to have much of the same team as IV. 

In other news, Genei Ibun Roku x FE or as others know it, #FE or Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, is slated for a Japanese release in late December, and Persona 5 was delayed to next year.

So yeah. Shin Megami Tensei thread. Anyone looking forward to the upcoming games?

• Like 1

I asked this back in faf but I need recommends for a smt virgin to start playing and getting into this series. I only have a 3ds tho. 

I can personally attest to Devil Survivor Overclocked being fantastic if difficult (very very difficult), and its probably an easier starting place than some of these, but here: (just click it, open it in a new tab, and then click to zoom in)

In any case, since you just have a 3DS your options are basically DeSu, DeSu2, SMTIV, and Persona Q. So either DeSu or SMTIV would be a good spot.

smt starting places.png

EDIT: Oh, and Soul Hackers. but no one talks about Soul Hackers.

Edited by Battlechili

I can personally attest to Devil Survivor Overclocked being fantastic if difficult (very very difficult), and its probably an easier starting place than some of these, but here: (just click it, open it in a new tab, and then click to zoom in)

In any case, since you just have a 3DS your options are basically DeSu, DeSu2, SMTIV, and Persona Q. So either DeSu or SMTIV would be a good spot.

[Snip]

cool. I'll check out smt iv then. I've been curious about the series but didn't want to be overwhelmed by it for my first time. 

I've never played any SMT games besides Persona 3 & 4. Man they really impressed me. I sunk so much time into both of them and loved it.

So yeah I'm hyped as hell for Purse Owner 5.

Edited by Luca

I loved both the Devil Survivor games.  It was a lot of fun spending hours just trying to figure out how to get the demons with exactly the right skills.  By the end of number 2 I had managed to make sure every demon except for two in my entire group at least resistant to every element and almighty damage too.  Hell I even had one demon that reflected every single normal element type.

Also really enjoyed Nocturne up until the very end when leveling became a chore and the battles became tedious, but still with an annoying chance of wiping my party.

My favorite game from the whole Shin Megami Tensei series though has to be Digital Devil Saga 1.  The characters and story where utterly fantastic with a nice touch of mystery to the whole thing.  The devouring mechanic helped to make random encounters more interesting and many of the boss fights were challenging and engaging.  Oh god I still remember the first time I fought Rahu god that fight was so tense.  Also never could beat him, but the whole Demi Fiend bonus boss battle is insane.  Sadly the sequel wasn't nearly as good.

I have watched my friend play a bit of Persona 3 and 4 and while I can see the appeal I don't think they are for me.  Though I will always remember how he managed to beat his first run of Persona 3 without ever switching off of Orpheus as his Persona.

• 6 months later...
18 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

Why do people praise Japanese VAs as always being superior again?

Because they don't understand them which means they can't pick out the things that sound bad.

Unless it's like squeaky, super high-pitched 'uguuu~' type voices. Those are always terrible no matter who the fuck is saying it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Because they don't understand them which means they can't pick out the things that sound bad.

Pretty much this, though I despise voice acting in games in general.  If I had to go with voice acting, I'd just go with basic voices for people, not for the actors to put on fake voices that literally no person in the real world sounds like.  You know those voices, that you hear blindfolded and TELL that it's from a cartoon and not from something live action.  Like that annoying fucking box from Progressive.

12 minutes ago, major lee snake said:

Pretty much this, though I despise voice acting in games in general.  If I had to go with voice acting, I'd just go with basic voices for people, not for the actors to put on fake voices that literally no person in the real world sounds like.  You know those voices, that you hear blindfolded and TELL that it's from a cartoon and not from something live action.  Like that annoying fucking box from Progressive.

Sounds like you haven't been playing the right games.

• 2 months later...

First 17 mins of Persona 5 gameplay & a few other neat tidbits!

September isn't too far off, and though it may be a tad bit early to get super excited for its release.. that ain't stopping me from playing some of the older ones to get my hype meter up! Was gonna do a P3 run but since my brother just sped ran it I thought I'd give P4 another shot. 

Gosh, Chie is seriously perfect in everyway!

• 1 month later...

Persona 5 is now out in Japan and Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse is now out in the US!

Though a fair warning to anyone that might give SMTIV:A a go, Atlus accidentally didn't finish translating it. There's a small part at end-game where if you have a party member fall during a boss fight, dialogue appears. They didn't translate this dialogue, as apparently they never had a party member fall during the particular boss fight where this happens during testing.

http://atlus.com/smtiv-faux-pas-calypse/

On 7/23/2016 at 1:20 AM, Moogle said:

September isn't too far off, and though it may be a tad bit early to get super excited for its release.. that ain't stopping me from playing some of the older ones to get my hype meter up! Was gonna do a P3 run but since my brother just sped ran it I thought I'd give P4 another shot. 

ITS FINALLY OUT (in Japan)

The music is pretty bangin' too.

Also how did you enjoy P4?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

what is SMT:IV: appocalypes? is it a DLC or a standalone game?

Its a standalone game set in the same universe as SMT IV. I don't really know much more than that tbh. I didn't play the original SMT IV so I'm a little clueless as to what this one's about. Atlus' website gives a bit of a premise though!

Yesssssssss! Time to try and not spoil myself until the English release (Feb 14th?). You can bet your butt I'm listening to the whole OST though, so flippin' catchy. Oh yeah, and P4 was wicked! Definitely liked the characters more than P3, but story wise not so much. Still gotta get the final ending though, bombed it early on.

Hnngnughjyhifaoijf <3