Music Lost

Tsuujou

I'm just a bit bummed about the fact that some studios didn't release soundtracks to certain shows and movies. There are two soundtracks I want for myself. The music of both the UK version of Cyber City OEDO 808 and the Sonic OVA from 1999. I really love the style of music old anime employs and those two are my favorites. They're unavailable or in the case of Cyber City, extraordinarily rare. So it's pointless trying to buy the CD and it appears all of the music was never put up for download, merely the main themes. But I appreciate the ambiance and the action music just as much.

The Sonic music was just flat out never released in any format. The Sonic community has been doing their best attempts to rip, record, and edit songs to make acceptable Frankenstein versions of the soundtrack over the years, but it's not really optimal needless to say. I even got in contact with Mitsuhiro Tada, the composer, to ask if he knows of the Sonic OVA's availability. I even offered to pay for any downloads he could provide. He explained that he can look for them, but ADV owned the rights to the music and therefore was uncertain if he would be allowed to distribute it even for free. Should he even find them that is. Being a busy professional musician, I doubt he had time (or interest) to look for near 20 year old music for a random stranger so I did not bother him further on the matter.

It's just quite sad really. 

Damn it...  Now you made me want the Sonic OVA soundtrack. :<

It -is- a shame.  That thing was made before storing media in a conveniently-converted form was as trivial as it is today.  I'd count our lucky stars if that music isn't mixed into one track with the rest of the noise and voice acting in the movie, wherever it is.

Does ADV Films even legally exist anymore?  Why would ADV have even owned the rights to the music outside of it's distribution areas that it licensed it for?  That said, I'd assume that Sega of Japan or one of the other Japanese companies involved in production would hold the final license rights. O.o

Does ADV Films even legally exist anymore?  Why would ADV have even owned the rights to the music outside of it's distribution areas that it licensed it for?  That said, I'd assume that Sega of Japan or one of the other Japanese companies involved in production would hold the final license rights. O.o

I got mixed up and realized that when I gave it some thought this morning.

I've been looking for this music since 2007. Tada was not the only one I contacted and what I stated was misleading. He merely said he would look for them, but mentioned nothing about who owned what in his reply. Someone on a forum years ago mentioned ADV and I got the two confused as it's been a while. I don't know anything about licensing music so anyone's guess is as good (or probably) better than mine.

ADV exists as Sentai Filmworks, which still releases media under the ADV name on occasion. Or something like that. The situation is weird.

Edited by Battlechili