RANT: My bank is retarded

Draconas

I had a third party app that's linked to my paypal that monitors my spending automatically, it pinged me that I had spent over $200 this week somehow, paypal pulls from my bank, so I went to my bank shoddy website and logged in, the damn thing always begs me for a security code over phone so I did that, then a familiar screen that I always dread appears "your password is out of date, please enter a new password"

I grab a password gen from my password manager and it auto-enters one, not noticing that A. it overwrote the stored one, and B. didn't fill in a required field of entering the old one, then a massive clusterfuck begins, it repeatedly attempts to log me in with an invalid password until "LEL FOR SECURITY REASONS U R LOCKED OUT OF UR ACCOUNT" 

I enter my username, clicked password recovery, answered the stupid fucking question and... im brought back to the "failed login, you're locked out of this account" screen, so I repeat this process... another 3 times, it just loops, so I look up the phone recovery instructions "call [NUMBER] and press option 6" I called and did just the "WERE SORRY THAT OPTION DOESN'T EXIST, PLEASE ENTER YOUR PARTY'S EXTENSION NUMBER" shit

So not only do I have a broke ass website that hates my password manager, has a broken account recovery on the website and over the phone, but im locked out of my OWN ACCOUNT until I can call them at really annoying hours that impedes my sleep schedule (I sleep during the day) to unfuck my account because everything else is broken.

So I get to go sift through paypal and other shit and figure out what's going on until I get a definitive answer tomorrow.

Anyone else have any fun stories about their bank's fuckups?

Edited by Draconas

I think your reliance on a third party piece of software to enter your bank account login info was your first mistake there. :x  <--- How the fuck is THIS the emoticon is chooses for the emoticon made from a colon and an x!? : X

im supposed to remember a buch of numbers letters and special characters? :P I could write them down but that's insecure as hell

Just turn off whatever automatic login settings your password manager has. Pretty much every article I've read in recent years on password security advocates the use of some kind of password manager because they make it easy to use strong, unique passwords on every site you visit without having to keep some giant plaintext list of passwords on hand.

The xkcd method is cute but do it for dozens of unique and secure passwords and you'll see why people use password managers. 

I don't see why one would need 'dozens of unique passwords' since the majority of accounts are low security.  I keep the same credentials for all forums for example, easy to remember and really, what's someone going to do even if they GET my forum account?  The vast majority of online accounts have no value, except that a lot of people use the same password for some dumb website as they do for their bank, for Amazon, or something like that, so the stolen password has value elsewhere.  I have only a few passwords that are grouped by security priority.

I don't see why one would need 'dozens of unique passwords' since the majority of accounts are low security.  I keep the same credentials for all forums for example, easy to remember and really, what's someone going to do even if they GET my forum account?  The vast majority of online accounts have no value, except that a lot of people use the same password for some dumb website as they do for their bank, for Amazon, or something like that, so the stolen password has value elsewhere.  I have only a few passwords that are grouped by security priority.

Oh, yeah, if it's like that, then sure. I like to keep random passwords on everything except the last resort of access (usually an email account to reset the password from). I would say this particular situation is more like some configuration issue (it doesn't seem like a good idea for the password manager to autotype when generating because it doesn't know what a registration or password change form would be laid out like) but I'm not sure if you were actually talking about a question of trust in using third-party password managers. 

Lesson learned: Ditch the password managers and keep them on a piece of paper instead. Or an encrypted text document.

It always struck me as strange when it's considered 'insecure' for private users of the internet to write down their passwords.  In business and such yeah, cause other individuals can access places of buisness see the login password on the post-it note next to a machine and use it later or such.  But in private homes?  For private individuals, the only data they have that is valuable is their financial information.  If someone is in your home, they are not stealing your passwords that are written down.  They are instead punching you in the face, taking your cash, your credit cards, your television, Great Grandma's necklace, and they are walking out the door with them.

It always struck me as strange when it's considered 'insecure' for private users of the internet to write down their passwords.  In business and such yeah, cause other individuals can access places of buisness see the login password on the post-it note next to a machine and use it later or such.  But in private homes?  For private individuals, the only data they have that is valuable is their financial information.  If someone is in your home, they are not stealing your passwords that are written down.  They are instead punching you in the face, taking your cash, your credit cards, your television, Great Grandma's necklace, and they are walking out the door with them.

I never understood that, either. You keep stuff like your financial, economic and insurance documents stored at your home, probably near your computer or electronics area. If you consider that area safe, you might as well keep a document(or even a flashdrive with a text document, if you can't be bothered to write down everything in hand) there as well. 

Lesson learned: Ditch the password managers and keep them on a piece of paper instead. Or an encrypted text document.

lesson learned: copy the password before it overwrites it with the new one.

it's only my bank that seems to have the most fucked up 3-step login system.