Becoming Aware of Involuntary Actions

DevilishlyHandsome49

What I mean by this is when you suddenly become aware of your own blinking or your breathing. Both are things you never notice yourself doing and your body just does it. Then comes that time where you're just sitting around doing nothing, bored, and you started noticing how many time you blink and you actually start blinking on purpose.

Same goes with breathing, but its a bit scarier . Especially when you start wondering if you've been breathing too fast or too slow and you try to control it but it just ends up getting you a bit panicked.

Anyone else ever experience this? Its so weird

Edited by DevilishlyHandsome49

The trick is, if you don't hear/talking about breathing and blinking you won't realize it and you'll be fine. Now you've tricked me into thinking about it. ._. It's kinda like when you read the word "yawn" and you yawn. There, it just happened. xD

I've also experienced something similar with little unconscious actions I do when I'm concentrated enough, which apparently I never realized until recently. For example, my boyfriend says I stick the tongue out when I'm playing videogames and I get very invested into it, but really it's something I never noticed nor realized, I don't even know when I actually start sticking it out.

There's another friend of mine who taps her fingers on the table whenever she's reading, I wonder if she's aware of that.

Edited by Valery91Thunder
typos
  • Like 1

I get what you mean, kinda. Like, sometimes I forget I'm a physical being in a body. Then, when I see pictures of myself or videos of myself, it feels fucking weird. It reminds me, "Hey, look, that's you. You're a person."

i get weird moments every now and then where i suddenly become aware of the fact that i'm a person with a body.  freaks me the fuck right out.  preeeetty sure i'm supposed to be an invisible thought-orb.

I've been learning a little about this in my cognitive psych class actually. The gist of it is that our senses take in stimuli indiscriminately, so our brains learn to filter out the more inconsequential things, like the sensation of your own breathing for instance. Otherwise you'd have too much stimuli to deal with at once and you'd be too overwhelmed to really concentrate on any one task or do anything productive. When you're sitting in a quiet room or trying to go to sleep or whatever, your brain isn't as stimulated as when you're working on something or out and about during the day, and so those more mundane sensations start to come back to the surface. 

• Like 2

When I was younger I had a weird compulsion to blink my eyes constantly. I think it was some kinda nervous tick, but I was definitely conscious of it. Now several years later and *bam*. Glasses. Well... I'm sitting in front of a PC all day may have had more to do with that.

When I was younger I had a weird compulsion to blink my eyes constantly. I think it was some kinda nervous tick, but I was definitely conscious of it. Now several years later and *bam*. Glasses. Well... I'm sitting in front of a PC all day may have had more to do with that.

I've been learning a little about this in my cognitive psych class actually. The gist of it is that our senses take in stimuli indiscriminately, so our brains learn to filter out the more inconsequential things, like the sensation of your own breathing for instance. Otherwise you'd have too much stimuli to deal with at once and you'd be too overwhelmed to really concentrate on any one task or do anything productive. When you're sitting in a quiet room or trying to go to sleep or whatever, your brain isn't as stimulated as when you're working on something or out and about during the day, and so those more mundane sensations start to come back to the surface. 

There's a great Peanuts cartoon about becoming aware of your tongue: making those inconsequential stimuli consequential by thinking about them.

On at least two occasions, I've been lying in bed and "become aware of my tongue." It makes for a long night.

Anyone else experience this?

What I mean by this is when you suddenly become aware of your own blinking or your breathing. Both are things you never notice yourself doing and your body just does it. Then comes that time where you're just sitting around doing nothing, bored, and you started noticing how many time you blink and you actually start blinking on purpose.

Same goes with breathing, but its a bit scarier . Especially when you start wondering if you've been breathing too fast or too slow and you try to control it but it just ends up getting you a bit panicked.

Anyone else ever experience this? Its so weird

Do you just sit around staring into space or something?