Final Fantasy

aeroxwolf

1 hour ago, Battlechili said:

angry fennekin.png

Whoops, I actually meant to say Square, not the Japanese as a whole.  Call it a Freudian slip.

Meh, honestly PC isn't worth it considering many games arrive much later than the console versions that are either broken, or capped to console specs.  I'm getting a Neo once it comes out, you enjoy crying about FF15 not coming to PC.  '3'

Oh I know. That's why some of the characters' faces in the HD version look kind of off, right?

You mean this?

I think it's mostly Tidus who looks off.  He had a skinnier, more angular face in the PS2 original, while his face is a tad bit rounder now.  I just want to see the laughing scene at 4K.

Well I'm currently playing Final Fantasy X now after all these years and I feel as if I can appreciate it a lot more now than I could then, at least story-wise anyways. Tidus seems a lot more understandable as a character, rather than just the whiny annoying teenager I once found him to be. His reactions to the religion around him must be very strange. Seeing just a sign for victory in his Blitzball as a form of prayer in modern Spira....This game almost has an anti-religious tone to it. Its showing how time evolved something trivial into a religious practice. And Tidus, considering who he is and where he comes from, the religion must be very restrictive and strange.

Also visually, the game is gorgeous, and I actually like some of the changes this remaster has musically. Also as a port this is fantastic and is definitely the best PC port Square has put out. There's a HUGE amount of setting choices and bonus options available to the player. Some of them are a little cheaty so I don't use them, but its cool that they're there.

359870_20160514191014_1.png

359870_20160514153224_1.png

That said, I have mixed feelings about the game itself. So far its mostly non-stop cutscenes, and the few gameplay segments in between are extremely easy. Its jarring going into this game after some of the previous games I've been playing. I also don't care for the sphere grid as a form of leveling.

Ooh, a FF thread. xD
I been playing this series since it first came out on the old NES.(along with Dragon Warrior/Quest)
Then FF 2 and 3 on SNES(which was really badly translated versions of 4 and 6 in Japan)
Also lots of remakes, most being on PS1, and GBA(game boy advance).

I played every major FF game since.
Played FF XI for about 11 years.

Currently I am playing FF XIV (the MMORPG one)

Big top favs for me, in no particular order.
IV, V, VI, IX, XII(mainly for the battle system), Tactics, the adventure games(on GB).

I am not going to list the ones I didn't care for as that always seems to bring up hate issues.
Tho the ones not listed, are either ones I didn't care for, or neutral feelings.

I always love to see what new way there going to do the battle system, tho I am very undecided for FF XV.
Played the demos, tho will wait for the actual game to be released to decide.

Sweet news. ARR was pretty fun from what I played and its cool to see PSO2 is getting some of its content. That said, I don't think ARR's character designs are all that memorable or stick out, or at least they didn't stick out to me, so such costumes in PSO2 doesn't mean too much to me.

But this DOES make me curious about SEGA and Square Enix's relationship with each other. I wonder if any PSO2 content will make its way into ARR.

5 hours ago, Battlechili said:

Sweet news. ARR was pretty fun from what I played and its cool to see PSO2 is getting some of its content. That said, I don't think ARR's character designs are all that memorable or stick out, or at least they didn't stick out to me, so such costumes in PSO2 doesn't mean too much to me.

But this DOES make me curious about SEGA and Square Enix's relationship with each other. I wonder if any PSO2 content will make its way into ARR.

They've done tons of crossovers so it doesn't exactly mean much. It's really just to pander and get more people interested which is why they have a fuck ton of weeb anime crap in the game. Sometimes its cool, usually when they do stuff for their own IP's like the Sonic events every anniversary and the Virtual-On event.

Not exactly Final Fantasy, but Square Enix's phone game "Heavenstrike Rivals" was ported to PC. The game is worth mentioning since the character designs are drawn by Ryoma Ito (Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, A2, and Revenant Wings) and the music is done by Ryo Yamazaki (Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn).

I kind of like it, but at the end of the day it has some of the issues that come with freemium games on phones.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/441020/

21 hours ago, yell0wf0x said:

Man. I'm loving the music. 

The music is pretty but the video itself....Honestly, FFXV looks really ugly when its not showing off interior areas and/or machinery. Night time scenes don't look too bad either, but I think that might be due to it masking some of the flaws and having really good lighting. The game needs some anti-aliasing. Also not really sure what's going on at 1:47. 

Got FFX/X-2 Remaster myself just recently. Had no idea it was even coming out, I only found out because I was browsing games on Twitch trying to find one to watch and saw it. So I clicked it, watched... Had to wrestle with myself if I was going to take the plunge or not since money is kinda tight, but I managed to get it from G2A for ~$21, which is cheaper than the pre-purchase price was. The only thing I didn't like about it on PS2 was the insane grinding required to get the top stuffs, but as it the case with most PC games, there are hacks out for it already to solve that issue, so now I get to play it mostly grind-free and just enjoy the story and the epic fights. Though, I will admit I wish I hadn't cheated SO much initially, because some of the fun fights were made extremely trivial and it won't get challenging again for a little while yet. I should have tried just a little bit of cheat to start and see what that got me, only doing a little bit more each time to keep even with it, rather than doing a lot at one time.

I'm also not caring too much for the expert sphere grid. I'm probably going to end up starting a new game after my current one finishes and I plan on going back to the original sphere grid. The expert one is kinda nonsense, everyone is ending up going the same way and becoming bland because that's just the better way to go. On the flip side, I can use some characters in different ways than they were intended, but also keeping some where they were intended.

Also, there's already some retex mods out there that help it look even sharper and for those bitching over 30FPS, there is a guy working on it, but he says it will take months minimum.

I finally got to play the Platinum Demo on a family member's PS4. It was very whimsical and had a fun sense of childlike charm!. I enjoyed myself overall. Graphically it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, and overall FFXV looks quite good. That said, it suffered from occasional framerate drops and was in dire need of anti-aliasing.

The gameplay was okay but its a bit TOO simple. I don't like how you can just hold a button and let the game play itself to a degree. The attacks also don't feel as weighty as it should; it feels more like FF Type 0 than it does Kingdom Hearts, and that's not a good thing. The music was beautiful but for a lot of it it seemed as if it was too far in the background; the sound effects overpowered it by a large margin, especially when it rained. I was also disappointed how you can't teleport wherever you want, but only on designated teleport areas. Really put a damper on what I thought was going to be an extremely explorable world, even as small as the Platinum Demo is. Still cool overall though. I enjoyed myself. Rainy areas are really comfy.

5 hours ago, Kinare said:

Got FFX/X-2 Remaster myself just recently. Had no idea it was even coming out, I only found out because I was browsing games on Twitch trying to find one to watch and saw it. So I clicked it, watched... Had to wrestle with myself if I was going to take the plunge or not since money is kinda tight, but I managed to get it from G2A for ~$21, which is cheaper than the pre-purchase price was. The only thing I didn't like about it on PS2 was the insane grinding required to get the top stuffs, but as it the case with most PC games, there are hacks out for it already to solve that issue, so now I get to play it mostly grind-free and just enjoy the story and the epic fights. Though, I will admit I wish I hadn't cheated SO much initially, because some of the fun fights were made extremely trivial and it won't get challenging again for a little while yet. I should have tried just a little bit of cheat to start and see what that got me, only doing a little bit more each time to keep even with it, rather than doing a lot at one time.

I'm also not caring too much for the expert sphere grid. I'm probably going to end up starting a new game after my current one finishes and I plan on going back to the original sphere grid. The expert one is kinda nonsense, everyone is ending up going the same way and becoming bland because that's just the better way to go. On the flip side, I can use some characters in different ways than they were intended, but also keeping some where they were intended.

Also, there's already some retex mods out there that help it look even sharper and for those bitching over 30FPS, there is a guy working on it, but he says it will take months minimum.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! FFX/X-2 HD Remaster is really fun. It is very much a constant grind-fest with the seemingly never-ending random encounters. Its something that's really frustrating about traveling in X, and in that sense I think the game discourages exploration, which is kind of a bummer. I didn't really care for the sphere grid on the whole as an idea tbh. Seems over-complicated.

I didn't really care for the sphere grid on the whole as an idea tbh. Seems over-complicated.

I definitely think the normal sphere grid was a great way to go. It gives you some options if you don't like totally linear progression, which I don't. However, the expert sphere grid (in my opinion) provides too much freedom so characters lose the individuality they had before. For example, I've basically got all my attack damage dealers going down Auron and Wakka's skill paths (the exception being Kimahri, who I have turned into a battle mage of sorts) because why not have every one of them with Breaks and status effect attacks? It just makes sense since they're so useful, and it's so much easier to do on expert - no teleport sphere's required, you can go that route right out of the gate.

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/ff12_tza/

Rough translation of the site I found elsewhere: "
FINAL FANTASY XII INTERNATIONAL ZODIAC JOB SYSTEM, a game based on the 12 installment in the series of Final Fantasy with reconstructed game design and newly added systems will be released in HD.

We are currently developing FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE with further system improvements and modern technology to be the ultimate moving fantasy RPG, on par with native PS4 games."

EDIT:

Some info:
-based on FINAL FANTASY XII INTERNATIONAL ZODIAC JOB SYSTEM
-Background, character model, fonts and all 2D parts are higher resolution
-Movie scenes are higher resolution
-Uses current-gen graphics tech
-7.1 surround sound
-higher quality audio
-Japanese and English voice 
-Option between original BGM and newly recorded BGM
-shorter loading time
-auto-save feature
-turbo mode

World of Final Fantasy has a new trailer out and was announced to release worldwide on PS4 and Vita October, with its NA release October 25, Japanese release October 27, and its EU release October 28.

Jesus Christ. Square Enix announces a new FF thing every couple of minutes. Where are they keeping this money? Isn't Nomura working on like 3 games? Is he just like...a program? Nomura.exe? Just right click and open him as administrator and he makes like 18 games at once for Square? Props to him though.

3 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

Jesus Christ. Square Enix announces a new FF thing every couple of minutes. Where are they keeping this money? Isn't Nomura working on like 3 games? Is he just like...a program? Nomura.exe? Just right click and open him as administrator and he makes like 18 games at once for Square? Props to him though.

FF XII HD is outsourced and FF7 remake is a side project (with CC2 helping them)

2 hours ago, Imperial Impact said:

FF XII HD is outsourced and FF7 remake is a side project (with CC2 helping them)

Who is it outsourced to? I haven't heard anything about Virtuous touching it like they did X/X-2. You sure it isn't in-house like they did the KH games?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

PFFFFTTTTHRRMMPPH!!!

"We want to give you the best game ever so we're gonna delay it by a measly 2 months."

Tabata, you're good. haha I don't think anyone who actually wants a good game will be upset by this. I was expecting them to say it will be delayed to like....late next year. This is fine by me. More polish for an already swell game, the better.

• 2 weeks later...

A new phone game called "Dissidia Final Fantasy: Opera Omnia" was announced.

I think it actually looks kinda cool. If it isn't online based, I'd totally love for it to get a PC/3DS/Vita port.

Also Ace from FF Type 0 was announced to be a part of the normal Dissida game:

3 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

The FF7 remake looks like it could be fun. Never thought they'd be able to make FF7 fun.

FF15 looks pretty cool too, albeit very suspiciously Xenoblade-y.

What worries me about these two games is that the FFVII Remake's combat looks suspiciously like Crisis Core's combat. Which, I guess Crisis Core was okay, but there doesn't seem to be an actual jump button based on the trailers. That would limit the types of attacks you can do. Square Enix hiring CC2 to help with the combat is also really odd, as CC2's typically not good at doing the gameplay aspects of games (Solatorobo, Asura's Wrath).

FFXV on the other hand....you can hold the X button to attack without doing anything and your character just automatically attacks towards the enemy. And if the Platinum Demo was any indication, jumps are extremely stiff and weighty, so you won't be able to really get in any aerial combos. Combat also looks like doing combos will have turning away from an enemy at times and screwing with the camera.