Cleaning fursuits?

Nao

Do I have to wash it? Because the problem with washing it is that I have nowhere to put it while it's drying I have this fursuit spray that I use called Wash Your Paws, and after every time I wear my suits I spray them down with it and then brush them. Never have had a problem with it so I see no other reason why I should. I use Folex for stains

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WASH YOUR FURSUIT! Spraying your suit can only do so much, you will HAVE to wash it every now and then!

Also, to the above guy: YOU CAN NOT USE HEAT ON A FURSUIT! NEVER, EVER expose your fursuit to extreme heat! Faux fur is made out of plastic, if you get it hot it will MELT and this results in matting that can't be fixed!!

I have written some instructions on how to wash fursuits I have made HERE: http://maplefurs.weebly.com/product-care-guide.html

You are going to have to contact your suitmaker to ask them how to properly wash your suit, OR, if they don't know how (they really should tbh), you're going to have to ask what your suit is made of, and you're going to have to inspect the construction. If your suit is not well-made, and you fear it falling apart, you're going to have to hand wash it. The instructions on my site should cover both instances, but feel free to ask me about anything specific! :)

• Like 1

Modacrylic is a poor heat conductor and may be low-temp steam cleaned (below 250F.)

Nylon (6,6) can be treated the same way. Regular Nylon-6 is less tolerant, and is typically dry chem-wash and hang-dry only.

I make many of the costume pieces for the chosen Blizzcon cosplayers that get up on stage every year, so I deal with practically every fiber type imaginable.

If you get your fur locally (or you didn't make your suit), you have no idea what it's made out of. It's better to be safe than sorry - and it is not uncommon to hear of people ruining their suits by using a hairdryer, or sometimes, even just leaving them out in the sun for too long. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WASH YOUR FURSUIT! Spraying your suit can only do so much, you will HAVE to wash it every now and then!

Also, to the above guy: YOU CAN NOT USE HEAT ON A FURSUIT! NEVER, EVER expose your fursuit to extreme heat! Faux fur is made out of plastic, if you get it hot it will MELT and this results in matting that can't be fixed!!

I have written some instructions on how to wash fursuits I have made HERE: http://maplefurs.weebly.com/product-care-guide.html

You are going to have to contact your suitmaker to ask them how to properly wash your suit, OR, if they don't know how (they really should tbh), you're going to have to ask what your suit is made of, and you're going to have to inspect the construction. If your suit is not well-made, and you fear it falling apart, you're going to have to hand wash it. The instructions on my site should cover both instances, but feel free to ask me about anything specific! :)

I have never needed to. The spray cleans it, it has alcohol in it, it's a fursuit cleaner. Folex gets rid of stains. Also my full suit has 4 different makers

Besides I have no place to put it to dry after I wash it anyways. Our washer sucks and the drain in the bathtub doesn't work

Edited by Nao

I have never needed to. The spray cleans it, it has alcohol in it, it's a fursuit cleaner. Folex gets rid of stains. Also my full suit has 4 different makers

Besides I have no place to put it to dry after I wash it anyways. Our washer sucks and the drain in the bathtub doesn't work

With all due respect, why ask how to wash if you're just going to disregard how people suggest you wash it? Just keep doing what you're doing if you think it works so much, or listen and find a way to do what they're telling you *shrug*

oops sorry... bad idea.
I have no experience with fursuits I should have kept my mouth shut.

• 2 weeks later...

If your suit is painted with airbrush paint, avoid alcohol cleaners since it can dull/get rid of it. Same goes for most Castile soaps.

For parts that are going to be constantly exposed to oils, and if it hasn't been airbrushed, you can use a gentile cleaner like wallet or Dr. Bonner's unscented liquid soap and either wash it in a machine on gentile in a pillow case, or hand wash it on warm/lukewarm and hang dry afterwards (brushing in intervals).  As for heads and spot-treating, a pH neutral solution like a teddy bear or nursery cleaner helps with spot treatment (most of the time). You can also use a few drops of Dr. Bonners, warm water, and a toothbrush to help pick up stains. I had a customer send back a head a year ago that had poo-poo and grass stains in the fur. it worked.

Shedding is normal for a suit since it is loose fur coming off the seams from the inside.

Edited by Zeke