Rant: politicizing gun violence

Rukh Whitefang

What blows my mind is that it took more than a day for the mass media to acknowledge that it was a terrorist attack. And President Obama as of last report keeps insisting that it was workplace violence. Thing is, all the common sense laws that he says are not in place, are in place in California. Clearly those laws didn't/aren't working.

Look I am not against background checks for purchasing a firearm, any firearm. And States need to close loopholes (such as some states don't require a background check at a gun show). But it is near impossible to regulate or even track used gun sales by gun owners. Unless you want to try and make it illegal to sell a gun used (which still won't stop people) only so much can be done with background checks. I am not for banning certain firearms because they look dangerous (Senator Feinstein...) and I am not for banning extended magazine clips. My handgun I use an extended clip not for the intended purpose of carrying more ammo (12 rounds) but because it allows for a more comfortable grip when handling the gun (using the small 9 round clip leaves my pinky finger with nothing to grip when firing the gun). I am completely against punishing the millions of law abiding citizens owning firearms because of a select group of people.

When it comes to gun laws and gun control, we don't need 'more' laws, we need to fix the ones that are already in place, then enforce those laws.

Until society decides its fed up with gun violence then nothing will change. How long will it take communities to rally together and get rid of the criminal element in them? This is a culture problem, a human nature problem. Take responsibility for your own actions, its that simple and apparently that hard. In the last 2 weeks there were 3 shootings in my city all in the areas that are considered "unfriendly". And they were all related to gang violence or drugs...

Edit: As to those saying nobody is talking about banning guns, perhaps you should watch/listen to the Press Secretary imply that very thing when talking about how people who passed background checks were legally able to purchase guns.

Edited by Rukh Whitefang

Apparently adding text after embedding a video (below the video my computer is having a hard time doing), so apologizes for the double post but I want to put up all of California gun laws and I want to know what else is common sense that wouldn't/doesn't punish, interfere with a persons right to own a gun.

State Permit to Purchase- All firearm sales must be completed through a dealer.

*Firearm purchases require a Firearm Safety Certificate and proof of residency unless the individual purchasing the firearm is active duty military or a peace officer under Penal Code Section 830. Military reservists must still acquire a Firearm Safety Certificate and proof of residency in order to purchase a firearm.

Firearm registration- All handgun serial numbers and sales are recorded by the state (registered) in the Department of Justice’s Automated Firearms System. While there is no requirement for California residents to register previously owned handguns or firearms with law enforcement, §12025 and §12031 enhance several misdemeanor offenses to felonies if the handgun is not on file in the Department of Justice’s Automated Firearms System. California §12025 states that handguns must be transported unloaded and in a locked container other than the glove compartment or utility box in a motor vehicle. A "locked container" is further defined to mean "a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device". New residents must register handguns (purchased outside of California) with DOJ within 60 days.

• As of January 1, 2014 Long gun serial numbers are now recorded, where as previously only the sale was recorded. However, it is not required that long gun owners register their firearms and it is not a crime to be in possession of an un-registered firearm.

Assault weapon law- llegal to possess, import, or purchase assault weapons and .50 BMG rifles, unless such weapons were acquired by the owner prior to June 1, 1989. While California's Assault Weapons Ban does allow individuals to obtain, transport or possess banned weapons with permission from the DOJ, the DOJ generally does not grant such permission to ordinary citizens. Legally defined assault weapons and .50 BMG rifles listed by make and model by the DOJ must be registered. Their sale and transfer is prohibited. Military look-alike rifles that are not chambered for .50 BMG and are not on the DOJ roster are legal to purchase or possess, with some restrictions in configuration – known as "banned features". Active-duty military members residing out of state and assigned to duty in California may bring personally-owned assault weapons into the state. The military member's residence must be in a state that permits private citizens to own and possess assault weapons, and the firearms must be registered with the California Department of Justice prior to the servicemember's arrival in California by submitting the registration form with a copy of the member's Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders and an authorization letter from the installation commander.

Detachable Magazine Capacity Restriction- Section 32310 of the Penal Code states: "commencing January 1, 2000, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, buys, or receives any large-capacity magazine is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or imprisonment". Thus, the offenses listed can be charged as a felony or a misdemeanor at the discretion of the prosecutor.The section continues further by explaining that: "'manufacturing' includes both fabricating a magazine and assembling a magazine from a combination of parts, including, but not limited to, the body, spring, follower, and floor plate or end plate, to be a fully functioning large-capacity magazine". Until January 1, 2014, it was only a crime to "manufacture, import, keep for sale, offer or expose for sale, or give or lend any large-capacity magazine". Assembly Bill 48 was signed by Governor Jerry Brown on October 11, 2013 and expanded previous prohibitions by making it illegal to buy or receive a large-capacity magazine or magazine rebuild kit.Peace officers (under Penal Code Section 830) and "person licensed pursuant to [CA Penal Code] Sections 26700 to 26915" are exempt this prohibition on the purchase and sale of large-capacity magazines for personal use. However, federal law enforcement officers are not exempt and must obtain large-capacity magazines through their agency.It is noteworthy that mere possession of a large-capacity magazine is not, in and of itself, a violation of the California Penal Code. That said, the City of Sunnyvale (Chapter 9.44 of the Sunnyvale Municipal Code) and the City and County of San Francisco (Article 9, Section 619 of the San Francisco Police Code) have enacted ordinances that make mere possession of large-capacity magazines a misdemeanor offense within their respective city limits. The Los Angeles City Council has passed a resolution stating they want to draft an ordinance similar to those in Sunnyvale and San Francisco but no actual ordinance has been passed.

Carry permits issued- May issue, depending on jurisdiction. County sheriff's or local Police Chief's discretion, many counties are de facto "no-issue", while others are "shall-issue" in practice. CCW permits valid statewide. Out-of-state permits not valid in California. The 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals ruled California's may-issue law unconstitutional in February 2014, but has allowed the law to remain in effect pending further appeals.[15] Some counties that have historically been very restrictive in issuing CCW permits have implemented shall-issue policies for granting CCW permits in the wake of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling, while other counties with restrictive policies have opted to continue operating under the existing discretionary criteria until a court order is issued that eliminates the requirement for applicants to show "good cause" for a CCW permit. A few counties have stopped processing CCW permits altogether and are awaiting a final ruling from the courts before they resume processing applications.

Open Carry- Long guns may be carried in unincorporated rural areas where open carry is permitted by local ordinance. In a county with a population of less than 200,000 residents, a permit to carry a handgun "loaded and exposed" may be issued by the county sheriff.

NFA weapons restricted- Possession of automatic weapons or short-barreled shotguns or rifles prohibited without DOJ "Dangerous Weapons Permit"; permission rarely granted outside of film industry. Suppressors (aka silencers) prohibited. Destructive devices are prohibited unless are designated as curios & relics, in which case a collectors permit can be obtained. The only AOWs that are permitted are smoothbore pistols and firearms with a combination of a smoothbore and rifle barrel.

Someone please explain what "common sense" laws California is missing. Its worth noting not all laws posted above I agree with.

Edited by Rukh Whitefang
  • Like 1

I wouldn't call one or two, or even a dozen, sick incidents out of a population of a few hundred million a "problem."

As you said, they're lower and middle class. Usually ones without many other options. Usually because they can't think of other options, or because they fell for the recruitment propaganda. I'm saying they're mostly not the brightest bunch. And to top it off, boot camp and the rest of their training is usually all about brainwashing them even further. How else do you explain the awful way they behave themselves in other countries we invade? So it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to convince them that they are actually protecting the people of NJ from "terrorists," and be extremely suspicious of anyone who protests. Like how they shoot unarmed people driving cars overseas because they're afraid those cars are full of terrorists and bombs.

The easiest way to impose tyrany on your own people is to convince them that you are trying to protect them from some outside threat. Happened in Germany, in USSR, and V for Vendetta had a nice overview of how that whole thing works.

It's not a dozen.  It's about one incident PER WEEK for a child accidently shooting themselves or an adult in the United States.  We can count up all of the other incidents other than firearms discharged accidently by children in the United States if you'd like though.

Also, I'm sure that all the users of this forum who are or who have been members of any branch of the United States Armed Forces are pleased to know that you believe that they are ignorant automatons, incapable of moral thought, who would turn on American citizens by simply being given the order to do so.

It's not a dozen.  It's about one incident PER WEEK for a child accidently shooting themselves or an adult in the United States.  We can count up all of the other incidents other than firearms discharged accidently by children in the United States if you'd like though.
Also, I'm sure that all the users of this forum who are or who have been members of any branch of the United States Armed Forces are pleased to know that you believe that they are ignorant automatons, incapable of moral thought, who would turn on American citizens by simply being given the order to do so.

Furrys of Phoenix that voluntarily joined the US-Armed Forces: Fuck you.

So when I look up statistics for accidental gun related deaths and that number is still significantly higher than other countries with effective gun regulations in place, youd still wanna just make the argument that its just stupid people?

Yes, I do. Stop moving goal posts from homicide and violence to "accidental," and if you're going to stick to accidental, include all types of accidents in the list, since stupid people will always find ways to kill themselves.

Unless you  are proposing a law that requires everyone to wear bubble wrap their entire lives.

on top of that why is that a realistic reason for 505 people to die in a year (based on 2013 stats)? 

Because it's none of your f'in business what stupid people do to themselves?

Wait, which law is causing more harm than good?

And what is this "some other way" you speak of? Because from here it looks like jack all is happening.

In that specific example the topic was cocaine. Drug laws do WAY more harm than the drugs themselves, and are the reason for so many non-violent people in US prisons, and for the massive violence in Mexico, South America, and parts of Middle East. In that example, just legalize it and treat the addiction illness. In regards to guns, maybe if more people were armed without the stupid stigma associated with guns, then criminals (and stupid people) would be removed from the gene pool quicker.

Or, at the very least, all those billions spent on gun bans and regulations may get spent on actually treating and preventing violence in the first place.

No sweetpea, it really doesn't. Look at Detroit.

Detroit isn't anarchy, it's like Somalia, an example of a failing state still fighting to be relevant, while being ruled by smaller rulers such as gang leaders and warlords (still states). If it was actually allowed to be anarchist, you'd see tons of businesses and private security organizations move in, as well as people wanting to avoid taxes and regulations. Anarchy isn't Madax or chaos and violence (note that Mad Max actually had mini nations and dictators, NOT anarchy).

It's not a dozen.  It's about one incident PER WEEK for a child accidently shooting themselves or an adult in the United States. 

So, 52 accidental shooting out of a population of 320,000,000?

The users who signed up to get paid to go kill people they don't even know, either directly or to assist those who do? Well, they fell for the propaganda and signed up, being told they'll be fighting bad guys. So how much of a stretch is it for them to be convinced that some of American citizens are bad guys too? Remember what we did to the Japanese? Or what the new Police branch of our military is doing to people today?

So, 52 accidental shooting out of a population of 320,000,000?

No Rassah, that's JUST the ones carried out be CHILDREN.  I was actually very clear on that, so I'm at a loss as to how you read that as how many Americans TOTAL are injured in accidental shootings in America.  Infact, I'm even at a loss as to how you'd even believe a statistic that low would be represnetive of America.  I mean hell, CANADA has more than that many accidental shootings per year.  It's like you through all reasoning skills out the window or something.

To be Clear, the Untied States sees about 15 000 injuries due to accidental shootings per year and around 500 deaths.  ...Not 52, because only an idiot would believe that kind of number.

Edited by AshleyAshes
  • Like 1

You said "Oh think of the children! One child a week!" There are 52 weeks. We have, what, 50,000,000 children? That's 52 fewer dumbass children in the world. An insignificant number.

So, what happened to you in your life, where now you think that the only way to solve problems is to get all bossy and tell others what to do, bully them around, and if they don't comply, threaten to shoot them with a gun?

Edited by Rassah

You said "Oh think of the children! One child a week!" There are 52 weeks. We have, what, 50,000,000 children? That's 52 fewer dumbass children in the world. An insignificant number.

Yeah who cares if they have no real concept of death or consequences because of their as of yet underdeveloped brains, fuck 'em!

You win the Edgy Loser award, congrats.

Edited by Clove Darkwave
  • Like 5

Yeah who cares if they have no real concept of death or consequences because of their as of yet underdeveloped brains, fuck 'em!

Children have no concept of death or consequences? Maybe if they're 2 or 3... In which case they don't even know what they're doing, so... Yeah? And the older ones who do, still fuckem? Seriously, why do you want more morons walking around this world? These are kids being raised by irresponsible, inattentive, idiot parents who are usually conservative gun nuts. You really want more of those around?

If you think I'm trying to be edgy, I'm not. I just don't like kids.

Edited by Rassah

Yes, I do. Stop moving goal posts from homicide and violence to "accidental," and if you're going to stick to accidental, include all types of accidents in the list, since stupid people will always find ways to kill themselves.

Unless you  are proposing a law that requires everyone to wear bubble wrap their entire lives.

Because it's none of your f'in business what stupid people do to themselves?

I am "moving goalposts" because you are trying to shoot down the argument that gun safety in America is shit, and your reasoning is that there is an isolated number of stupid people. 

You seem willing to make a lot of assumptions about a lot of people based on very little actual information. Most of your arguments require me to believe some preconceived notion about every single one of those people involved in the situation.

Edited by evan

Children have no concept of death or consequences? Maybe if they're 2 or 3... In which case they don't even know what they're doing, so... Yeah? And the older ones who do, still fuckem? Seriously, why do you want more morons walking around this world? These are kids being raised by irresponsible, inattentive, idiot parents who are usually conservative gun nuts. You really want more of those around?

If you think I'm trying to be edgy, I'm not. I just don't like kids.

Your lack of understanding on the mental development of children coupled with your apparent lack of attempting to be edgy while making suggestions about the intelligence of anyone else is hilarious.

Is it such a difficult to accept assumption that responsible people who know guns are dangerous and respect them are less prone to gun accidents? Do you have some sort of data to back up your assertion about gun safety being shit? Like the number of gun owners vs number of gun accidents? Out that compares accidental injuries or deaths from guns to other things (like cars, which would TOTALLY destroy your argument)?

And more importantly, do you have ideas to fdfix this issue that DOESN'T require more people with guns?

Eugenics, brought to you by Bitcoin.

Hey, if you support minimum wage, you support eugenics too. Though mine is more Social Darwinism, which is letting stupid people take themselves out of the gene pool naturally. Eugenics is forcing the cleaning through government policies and enforced actions.

Your lack of understanding on the mental development of children coupled with your apparent lack of attempting to be edgy while making suggestions about the intelligence of anyone else is hilarious.

Oh yeah, my lack of understanding. Please inform us, professor! 

By the way, still an open question to everyone. Does anyone here NOT think that the only way to solve problems is to get all bossy and tell others what to do, bully them around, and if they don't comply, threaten to shoot them with a gun? Is anyone here actually for reducing gun violence, instead of just for centralizing gun ownership among the privileged and powerful?

I don't think that being okay with children dieing because you openly dislike children, is actually called 'Social Darwinism'.

Apparently not in Rassahland lol

Anyway here you go Rassah try not to hurt yourself with them:

http://www.azftf.gov/Why/Evidence/PublishingImages/synapse-formation.gif

http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/brain/119/5/1763.full.pdf

I don't think that being okay with children dieing because you openly dislike children, is actually called 'Social Darwinism'.

No, you are right. It's not the children I'm OK with killing themselves that makes me a social Darwinist, it's idiots killing themselves. I'm just not ageist. 

Um, thanks? I actually already had that class in College.

But what is it that you want me to focus on? That children's brains are more or less fully developed by the time they are two or three, and that's the point that they start understanding concepts like consequences?

Edited by Rassah

Can we actually get back onto topic? I am still waiting for someone to explain how California's gun laws were not adequate (not that I agree with all of them), or rather what other common sense laws could be put in place that would somehow prevent someone who has no criminal record or flags in the system from legally purchasing a firearm.

Can we actually get back onto topic? I am still waiting for someone to explain how California's gun laws were not adequate (not that I agree with all of them), or rather what other common sense laws could be put in place that would somehow prevent someone who has no criminal record or flags in the system from legally purchasing a firearm.

Your thing isn't as interesting as funding baby murders with bitcoins to create a child free utopia!

Your topic has literally no satisfactory conclusion for any side in this debate.

Discussions evolve as people realize this. Right now we're laughing at Rassah's attempts to rationalize child accidental suicide and murder being okay. Laughing and maybe even crying a little.

0ccca8cf57085a93841bf514f088d35b.png

I can only assume because he can't afford a phone.

'Children are idiots, so if they kill themselves, its okay.'

All children are idiots, though.

Uh, I strongly disagree. Not all children are idiots. Some have quite a bit of common sense and are very mature for their age (I'm sure some of you here can relate), and some are dimwitted morons (I'm sure some of you can relate to being at the mercy of those). I'm only ok with idiot children killing themselves. Are we clear on that now? 

Edited by Rassah
  • Like 1

ITT: Anarcho-Capitalism causes brain death.

Possibly. My grandfather, who was the chief scientist of USSR's equivalent of DARPA, was a "last name famous" scientist (like Newton or Einstein), had multiple doctorates and post-docs, and invented formulas and wrote books that are still used in universities around the world, including in US. He also wrote a book "How Democracy will conquer Tyrany," where he came up with a bunch of social and anthropological proofs, treating cultures as units you can calculate outcomes of using statistical probabilities, but his "democracy" was effectively what we know as "voluntarism."

He died of Alzheimer's and cancer.

There's also a group that is like Mensa, but even more exclusive with even higher IQs. A recent political survey determined all the members were pretty much AnarchoCapitalist. So the smartest people in the world are AnCap. But I don't know if they have any debilitating brain illnesses. 

What are you talking about?

Rassah was a genius kid.When he was 4 years old, he could operate any firearm knowing its consequences!

You're right, but a bit off on the age. I could read books since 3, and read most of what my parents had in their kid's AND adult library by 6, I took apart all of my parent's gadgets (wind up jewelry boxes, vacuum, food processor, etc) when I was 3 or 4, and rreassembled/fixed them all when I was 4/5, but I didn't get to learn how to shoot a firearm until 7, or operate a sniper rifle until I was 8. I was quite aware of the consequences of pointing it where I shouldn't. So you were off by 3 years...

Edited by Rassah

I'm only ok with idiot children killing themselves. Are we clear on that now? 

Yes, very clear.  You have very strong opinions as to which children are unworthy of life and feel that society will suffer no burden should those 'undesirable children' be killed.  100% clear.

You're like, a terrible human being, BTW.  Like, REALLY.  You are literally on the forum advocating for the death of children whom you feel do not meet your criteria of value and you think that everyone who disagrees with you is just being antagonistic to you.  It's always weird when you get into these situations.  Like, normally when people are assholes they KNOW they are being assholes, but when you're called out for being an asshole, you seem to get confused and are unable to process the situation.  It's like seeing a child who can't figure out why the dog won't wake up and play... After they stabbed the dog with a fork until it stopped moving.

• Like 1

Uh, I strongly disagree. Not all children are idiots. Some have quite a bit of common sense and are very mature for their age (I'm sure some of you here can relate), and some are dimwitted morons (I'm sure some of you can relate to being at the mercy of those). I'm only ok with idiot children killing themselves. Are we clear on that now? 

But if it was okay if idiot children died, why are you still here?

No, all kids are idiots. "Common sense" only comes from what you are taught. When you are born, you are a clean slate. An idiot. If you are born into a family of idiocy, you will stay an idiot.

Edited by Lucyfish

Yes, very clear.  You have very strong opinions as to which children are unworthy of life and feel that society will suffer no burden should those 'undesirable children' be killed.  100% clear.

You're like, a terrible human being, BTW.  Like, REALLY.  You are literally on the forum advocating for the death of children whom you feel do not meet your criteria of value and you think that everyone who disagrees with you is just being antagonistic to you.  It's always weird when you get into these situations.  Like, normally when people are assholes they KNOW they are being assholes, but when you're called out for being an asshole, you seem to get confused and are unable to process the situation.  It's like seeing a child who can't figure out why the dog won't wake up and play... After they stabbed the dog with a fork until it stopped moving.

You are a terrible human being too, Ashley. For instance, you claim that, basically, "Accidents happen to stupid people" is the equivalent of advocating for actively exterminating stupid people in some sort of eugenics program, when in fact nothing of the sort was proposed. You are notorious for twisting words. Why? Because you are an authoritarian control freak, and it's typical for those thoroughly evil people to manipulate others by twisting words, with the goal of forcing their own control on them. If you were a politician, you would use my claim of "stupid people are accident prone" as an example of how some gun nuts want to exterminate children, pass laws that allow certain special people extralegal rights to carry guns and shoot people without recourse, so they can go around confiscating other people's guns, and then continue keeping your army of extralegal armed thugs to carry out some new crazy desire of yours. Did you hear that children sometimes drown in pools? Especially children of careless inattentive parents, and children who are a bit too dim to have a natural swimming response? Let's use that army of extralegal armed thugs to ban people from owning pools, because think of the children! Of course, you'll keep your own pool. And goons with guns. Someone has to have the job of a ruthless despot to keep people in check, right Ashley?

Edited by Rassah

No, all kids are idiots. "Common sense" only comes from what you are taught. When you are born, you are a clean slate. And idiot. If you are born into a family of idiocy, you will stay an idiot.

So, despite all the vocal protests about how stupid Republicans, rednecks, conservatives, and religious fundamentalists are running our country and making our lives miserable, you guys are going to go ahead and fight tooth and nail to protect them from themselves so they keep reproducing and making our lives miserable, instead of simply letting nature take its course?

Okay then...

I just think it's really funny how people think registration and regulation is somehow gonna HARM us. Like, oh my god, my gun has a national serial number and can be tracked anywhere in the country, FUCKING WOE IS ME.

So, despite all the vocal protests about how stupid Republicans, rednecks, conservatives, and religious fundamentalists are running our country and making our lives miserable, you guys are going to go ahead and fight tooth and nail to protect them from themselves so they keep reproducing and making our lives miserable, instead of simply letting nature take its course?

Okay then...

I don't condone killing people so... yes? Education over extermination, brah.

Idiot children require education so they don't grow into idiot adults, not death. That's just fucking sick.

Rassah, you are human garbage. I will literally smile when I find out you have died.

Everyone, something just occurred to me... Rassah just said that I am the authoritian God-King of the forum and I attempted to rebut how silly that was.  My stance has changed on this:

Yes, I am the God-King of The Phoenix Forums who controls all and I expect the rest of you to fall in line as Rassah has! :V

...But I don't have any authority or control in this situation and no means to archive such that I am simply not utilizing. O.o

But you do and you are! You are attempting to take control of this situation in an attempt to make yourself be the right, superior person in this debate, basically white knighting against a cause that was never actually proposed, and trying to turn the debate against me by actively recruiting others to follow your point of view and unite behind you. And you don't even notice it...

Okay then...

That the child is not punished for the sins of the parent is one of the guiding principles of modern western culture. We may not always uphold that commitment in effect, but we still try.