Otherkin would be a neat concept...if only it didnt get weird

Vallium

Normally it wouldn't be much different from what furry people do. People seeking out some metaphorical connection to some object or element to represent themselves. Just for fun.

I could get behind the idea of people relating to or thinking wind or plants or vampires are really cool and dressing like that or creating some persona around it because they feel a comfortable connection to it. Much like how furries bandy about saying silly things like "I have a friend who's x species". People who make a community by branching out into other things and not just animal people.

The only really weird thing about otherkin is it's more of a delusion to these people, they aren't pretending but they actually think they are this thing and not human. That's pretty much try the main difference. If the otherkin movement were just a bunch of dorks who attributed some objects/ideas to themselves with some significance for some good escapist fun, I would have considered the otherkin thing myself, but nah.

Its even worse when it bridges into gender territory but this post isn't about that.

• Like 1

I honestly don't know where one draws the line in otherkin, versus people who just find comfort in presenting themselves as a certain thing, while still retaining the fact that they are and always will be human.

Sometimes, I hear it only about spiritual shit. Sometimes, I hear it about people who literally believe they're a fucking fairy or something. And sometimes, I hear it about the latter above, not unlike (the more stable) members of the furry fandom.

I don't give a shit about otherkin until they say that they're an oppressed group.

You're not an oppressed group, you don't face oppression. You won't be denied a living space, a job, a marriage, adopting a child, or the right to live safely and walk around in public because you're an otherkin.

You are not part of the LGBTQ community and never will be. Stop claiming you're oppressed and comparing your struggles to those of different races, gender identities, and sexualities.

Thank you

Edited by Gamedog
  • Like 1

Yeah, otherkin carries a lot of negative connotation with it.  It's one thing to pretend to or even wish to be something else, but the people that think they were actually born that way or have a deep spiritual connection to that thing is a little silly.  But there are plenty of dorks like that out there who relate to or pretend to be things other than human just for fun, they just don't need a pretentious label to define themselves.

• Like 1

I'm fine with animal otherkin most of the time because they're doing it more for the spiritual side of things and that's something I can respect. but when they start going on about being oppressed or misanthropic because "humans are teh evil" that's when I've gotta leave.

but that's nothing compared to the Tumblr kin community. I have no clue when it started or why but all I know is that those kids are even more delusional and annoying.

• Like 2

I know quite a lot of otherkin and the general conensus is that although they identify as x species they don't literally think they are that thing. They know they are physically human and stuff, people who say otherwise are usually shunned as trolls or something. It's weird but it's not a delusion.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hewge said:

I believe myself to be a dragon. I have the body of a human, but my spirit and mind are that of a winged, magnificent beast ~

I mean... dragons might not exist, and never have existed... but I am a dragon. Trust me.

Intends to post on thread, reads this.  Yup, I'm running faaaar away before you lot pitchfork/torch me.

On 24.12.2015 at 4:46 AM, Hewge said:

I believe myself to be a dragon. I have the body of a human, but my spirit and mind are that of a winged, magnificent beast ~

I mean... dragons might not exist, and never have existed... but I am a dragon. Trust me.

So if your soul is that of a dragon and dragons never existed.

Does that mean you have no soul

Mind blown

I can respect someone who says they feel like a dragon, fox, wolf, or cougar.

I can even respect someone who says they don't feel human.

But, much like Gamedog, I roll my eyes when people start playing up their "oppressed victim" status, or start making lots of elaborate, nuanced, or detailed demands of other people.

Most of the therians I've met thus far IRL have been rather quiet, shy, unassuming people, actually.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

I love how otherkin always have like the soul of a dragon, a wolf, a fox, or some other "cool" animal. You never find someone who runs around claiming they're like mosquito-kin or something. Maybe their spiritual connection is through their penis or something.

List of therians I know or have atleast stumbled across:

plesiosaur. swans. sloth. angler fish. badgers. orangutans. capuchin monkeys. lemurs. domestic cow. tarantula. magpie. seal. olive baboon. sheep. bonobos.Sure you get loads of edgy wolfaboos passing through embarrassing everyone and starring in shitty freak show documentaries, but that's kinda not the whole picture.

22 hours ago, Zytan said:

Intends to post on thread, reads this.  Yup, I'm running faaaar away before you lot pitchfork/torch me.

Psssst I'd like to hope that people here respect me enough already to put their torches down for a second. IDK I'm willing to give the other side of the story regardless or else it's just an echochamber.

• Like 1

I have no qualms with them...I can "tolerate" them.

The problems that I have with the 'kin community is that there's no centralized organizations and Code of Conduct to help control the "crazies" in that subculture and prevent people from using the community to prey on the vulnerable and become a cult. 

There was also a very, very define way to tell if one's a Therian or Otherkin since one was basically a community of weres and the other was dedicated to "I have a fox, dragon, or a Compsognathus soul trapped in a human body".

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 11:07 AM, Lopori said:
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 10:37 PM, willow said:

I'm fine with animal otherkin most of the time because they're doing it more for the spiritual side of things and that's something I can respect. but when they start going on about being oppressed or misanthropic because "humans are teh evil" that's when I've gotta leave.

but that's nothing compared to the Tumblr kin community. I have no clue when it started or why but all I know is that those kids are even more delusional and annoying.

I think animal otherkin are better off as therian, imo. The main difference being therians actually have historical spiritual basis in many cultures and involves living creatures...otherkin also lumps in fictitious things and inanimate objects.

If I had assumed I had a spiritual animal connection that would be my concept of it.

but whatever, again, as long as they dont insist on pronoun usage/special treatment, its their thing.