Killing Floor 2

Kaizy

Anyone here play KF/KF2?

Didn't see a thread for this one and I'm always looking for more people that play.

It's one of my favorite games, and Tripwire has put a lot of work and quality into their games, especially Killing Floor.

1 hour ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

I used to love the first one, sunk in a decent amount of hours in it. Haven't touched the second one, any good?

I'd say so. Like I said, Tripwire does put good work into their games, and they've been working on KF2 nonstop since the beta. It's pretty much just as addictive and fun as KF1.

2 hours ago, Luca said:

I really like KF2 so far, It's coming along nicely. I always like to play it buy I try not to over do it whole the contents still kinda skim, you know?

I haven't gotten to play as much as I would have liked to since it came out, so I've been on a binge this week. But yeah, that's how I felt when it was first in beta. Currently, I feel like with 7 classes and a bunch of maps/weapons, there's enough content to where it feels like a full game.

2 hours ago, Onnes said:

Are these still worth picking up? I was too busy to ever get into the first one.

It's on sale, so if you have $20, and like wave-based team FPS games (or FPS games in general), then yeah, definitely worth it.

26 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

Eh, it's alright. It seems like it should be more fun that the first one, but it's not really doing it for me. Maybe it'll be better once they finish it properly and stop buggering around with stuff. Gunslinger was a disappointment too.

the balance/meta kinda ruins it for me

29 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

Eh, it's alright. It seems like it should be more fun that the first one, but it's not really doing it for me. Maybe it'll be better once they finish it properly and stop buggering around with stuff. Gunslinger was a disappointment too.

I actually like gunslinger, but I always liked big fuckoff hand cannons.

3 minutes ago, Sir Gibby said:

the balance/meta kinda ruins it for me

Yeah there are totally a lot of things they need to adjust, like demo. Demo is in a really shitty spot right now. The starting gun is absolute garbage even by starting gun standards, C4 isn't nearly as useful as pipe bombs, and literally both the bosses have explosive resistance so you're near worthless on boss waves.

Speaking of bosses, Hans also needs to be tweaked because he's kind of dumb right now. His guns and grenades don't do shit but his melee is insanely strong. 

Just now, Mentova said:

I actually like gunslinger, but I always liked big fuckoff hand cannons.

Yeah there are totally a lot of things they need to adjust, like demo. Demo is in a really shitty spot right now. The starting gun is absolute garbage even by starting gun standards, C4 isn't nearly as useful as pipe bombs, and literally both the bosses have explosive resistance so you're near worthless on boss waves.

Speaking of bosses, Hans also needs to be tweaked because he's kind of dumb right now. His guns and grenades don't do shit but his melee is insanely strong. 

Commando got nerfed for no reason

Tripwire thinks that if something actually works in the game, it needs to be nerfed. Now not a single perk is particularly exceptional and they're all equally mediocre. BALANCED. I prefer KF1 for this reason.

10 minutes ago, Sir Gibby said:

Commando got nerfed for no reason

Tripwire thinks that if something actually works in the game, it needs to be nerfed. Now not a single perk is particularly exceptional and they're all equally mediocre. BALANCED. I prefer KF1 for this reason.

Yeah I have no idea why they nerfed commando. Its not like it was super OP or anything. 

I still love the game even with the balance problems though. 

Just now, Sir Gibby said:

gittin gud and carrying

babysitting as medic

Pretty much what it consisted of, hence the boredom.  I don't mind being the personal medic for a player when the player doesn't run around like a headless chicken.

Just now, Zytan said:

Pretty much what it consisted of, hence the boredom.  I don't mind being the personal medic for a player when the player doesn't run around like a headless chicken.

it's really a game you play with friends

outside of forums I made a lot from KF1 pubs I have a shitload of HoE achievements now

Just now, Zytan said:

Suppose, most of the people I met on KF1 were immature or there was a language barrier so I never got to know anyone who played it.

depends when you got into the game

early in the game's life the community was awesome, but ever since there was a TF2 crossover the playerbase had been slowly but surely descending into total shit

Just now, Sir Gibby said:

depends when you got into the game

early in the game's life the community was awesome, but ever since there was a TF2 crossover the playerbase had been slowly but surely descending into total shit

Probably that then, I got the game about 2 years ago.  Hopefully KF2 won't die down too quickly so I can finally get into an FPS.  How come the TF2 characters killed it?

6 minutes ago, Zytan said:

Probably that then, I got the game about 2 years ago.  Hopefully KF2 won't die down too quickly so I can finally get into an FPS.  How come the TF2 characters killed it?

The TF2 playerbase is known to be full of idiots and it was easy to spot them because they used the pyro costume. Basically they had absolutely no idea how to co-op, how all the Perks interwined with each other, struggled to think outside of the TF2 meta, raged fleshpounds/scrakes as Firebug, tried to play as one-man-armies, were extremely arrogant, unfriendly, and childlike, and would do stupid shit like "I only play Suicidal to level my class!" which ruins a match as one lapsing player on the top difficulty pretty much ends it until they leave, as the difficulty scales significantly based on the number of players. (Hell on Earth got added much later)

Free weekends were always like this and were tolerable, but they happened so frequently and Tripwire made some bad decisions that scared off a lot of older players so the playerbase was eventually replaced. The "old people" usually play on their own passworded servers, at least thats what me and my teams did for a long while. The "bad" players cropped up so often in Sui/HoE games that take only one or two people to ruin, so it was just... frustrating after a while.

Edited by Sir Gibby

2 minutes ago, Sir Gibby said:

The TF2 playerbase is known to be full of idiots and it was easy to spot them because they used the pyro costume. Basically they had absolutely no idea how to co-op, how all the Perks interwined with each other, struggled to think outside of the TF2 meta, raged fleshpounds/scrakes as Firebug, tried to play as one-man-armies, were extremely arrogant, unfriendly, and childlike, and would do stupid shit like "I only play Suicidal to level my class!" which ruins a match as one lapsing player on the top difficulty pretty much ends it until they leave, as the difficulty scales significantly based on the number of players. (Hell on Earth got added much later)

Free weekends were always like this and were tolerable, but they happened so frequently and Tripwire made some bad decisions that scared off a lot of older players so the playerbase was eventually replaced. The "old people" usually play on their own passworded servers, at least thats what me and my teams did for a long while.

Ouch, perhaps I avoided the worst of it as I only play on Normal :S Never knew TF2 to be so malignant, worst I ever had was typical server AA or that guy who plays too much and likes stomping newbs as a demo.

Just now, Zytan said:

Ouch, perhaps I avoided the worst of it as I only play on Normal :S Never knew TF2 to be so malignant, worst I ever had was typical server AA or that guy who plays too much and likes stomping newbs as a demo.

Normal is where you find the worst of it, IMO. It slows down as you go higher up the difficulty levels, but HoE is where a small amount becomes very bad. I suggest you go Hard or Suicidal for pubs. HoE is not worth playing outside of friend games.

Hard isn't actually that hard, it just requires you to better understand your perks' quirks/niches as well as drop a few bad habits like taking an AA12 as a sharpshooter, like a lot of newbies do for some reason. I'd say Hard is the more median difficulty than Normal is.

1 minute ago, Sir Gibby said:

Normal is where you find the worst of it, IMO. It slows down as you go higher up the difficulty levels, but HoE is where a small amount becomes very bad. I suggest you go Hard or Suicidal for pubs. HoE is not worth playing outside of friend games.

Hard isn't actually that hard, it just requires you to better understand your perks' quirks/niches as well as drop a few bad habits like taking an AA12 as a sharpshooter, like a lot of newbies do for some reason. I'd say Hard is the more median difficulty than Normal is.

I'll bear that in mind, I tend to just sit back with an SMG healing/shooting and tanking angry scrakes/fleshpounds.  Seems to work out alright, the finer details I'm not aware of, but as a medic I'm not sure if they concern me.  Guessing the jump from beginner to normal is much larger than normal to hard if it's not a big deal.

1 minute ago, Zytan said:

I'll bear that in mind, I tend to just sit back with an SMG healing/shooting and tanking angry scrakes/fleshpounds.  Seems to work out alright, the finer details I'm not aware of, but as a medic I'm not sure if they concern me.  Guessing the jump from beginner to normal is much larger than normal to hard if it's not a big deal.

I won't get too comfortable with tanking, this isn't an MMO. The closest thing to tanking in KF is stunlocking scrakes as Berzerker. In higher difficulties you can get rekt extremely fast by fleshpounds, the medic armour just gives you more insurance while other people can get one-shotted. Usually to deal with big guys it takes a 1-on-1 focus from either a Support, Sharp, Zerk doing their combos (Demo counts unless its a Scrake) while Medic piles on heals and Commando keeps the way clear, so the hard-hitters don't need to multitask.

When playing on higher difficulties you find that the large zeds end up being a distraction while the small zeds take advantage. I've seen more people die to sanic-speed HoE Gorefasts than fleshpounds cos not only do they move faster, but are spongier than ever and hit hard. Twice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Quick protips to keep in mind, though this is KF1 and I dunno if more classes are in KF2 (I assume there are.)

Support and Berserker are meant to tank. Berserker is short-range melee tank and the katana alt-fire stuns scrakes with headshots.Support is mid-range/CQC with varying shotguns, the hunting shotgun alt-fire is devastating as a headshot, and the AA-12 makes for a good mass-damage to a fleshpound or scrake with the damage boost. The HSG-12 as support is a good medium-range weapon, keep it on tight spread. Medic, sit back with your medic guns, headshot small shit and keep your teammates healed. Firebug, light scrakes on fire, light up the invisible whores so your non-commando friends can spot 'em too, and just handle smaller stuff.  Demolitions, you're all explosives, stay back and drop with the M-79 or the 6-round launcher, especially for the fleshpounds, you + support class can wipe out anything in tandem with absolute ease, even the Patriarch is a mere bitch against a team of support and demo on HoE difficulty.

To contrast with your setup, my team usually doesn't have a Demo, Bug, or Zerk. Our primary heavyhitter is a single Sharpshooter with the Xbow with a Support as the secondary with standard shotgun and Hunty for the grenade combo (no AA12). Medic does heal duty, while Commando deals with virtually all the trash thanks to near-infinite ammo and lightspeed reloads. A twitchy Commando can expect to get at least 900 kills, so the damage dealers can do their combos with no interruptions and the healthbar vision proves useful in prioritising targets to save wipes when someone fucks up. I prefer it to firebug thanks to more ammo, and sharpshooters hate it when the hitboxes get fucked up by the burning animations. The other two slots can be anything, we don't get 6 man games often anymore.

Also for shits and giggles, try a 6-man Commando team on HoE. Levels don't matter. The wall of bullets is impenetrable and big guys get turned into swiss cheese. Patty gets the worst of it because his cloak becomes useless.

11 hours ago, Kaizy said:

I haven't gotten to play as much as I would have liked to since it came out, so I've been on a binge this week. But yeah, that's how I felt when it was first in beta. Currently, I feel like with 7 classes and a bunch of maps/weapons, there's enough content to where it feels like a full game.

I'll probably feel closer to that way when my sharpshooter class is back. I was a devout one on KF 1 and Gunslinger is good for now, but I miss my x-bow and lever actions

Edited by Luca

Just now, Luca said:

I'll probably feel better when my sharpshooter class is back. I was a devout one on KF 1 and Gunslinger is good for now, but I miss my x-bow and lever actions

Sharpshooter needs to get in fast. I have no idea why tripwire is bothering to try balance the game when the game's number-one damage dealer isn't even in. In KF1's life, a lot of the balance was formed around that guy. He used to be depressingly OP in 2010, where an Xbow shot could decap a scrake immediately on a 6 man suicidal.

And then people got really pissed off when Tripwire added the M99 which did the same thing.

6 hours ago, CrazyTundraWolf said:

Thought about picking this game up now it's on sale, looks pretty fun.

Do you need a high end computer to run it or will it run on mid-low systems?

For what it's worth my computer's pretty shit but i can run the game without any problems.

2 minutes ago, Sir Gibby said:

Sharpshooter needs to get in fast. I have no idea why tripwire is bothering to try balance the game when the game's number-one damage dealer isn't even in. In KF1's life, a lot of the balance was formed around that guy. He used to be depressingly OP in 2010, where an Xbow shot could decap a scrake immediately on a 6 man suicidal.

And then people got really pissed off when Tripwire added the M99 which did the same thing.

Well they haven't really put a super good amount of effort balancing in KF2 yet. It kinda does seem like they're holding off until they have most of the classes in. If they did none at all though they'd have a huge amount of backlash...

I agree with a lot of the class balance issues. Certain classes feel really good, while others feel like they're lacking. Gunslinger feels like it really needs some sort of buff, the Demo starting weapon isn't horrid if you know where to use it, but it's honestly pretty bad, and I'm still adamant about Medic needing healing XP buffs because 2XP a pop is so tediously low for a healing class, even if you're spamming darts like a fucking lunatic.

Though regardless, the game still feels solid, I'm just hoping they do a lot of rebalancing when all the classes are finally released.

• Like 1

Just played my first game, I knew from the off I was gonna play as the fire bug but it doesn't really feel very satisfying burning the zombies alive with my flamethrower, but maybe I've just been spoiled by TF2 and it's hitsounds.

Got to the final boss and he scared the shit out of me when he grabbed me and spawned those guys by cloning me or whatever , I'm such a pushy when it comes to surprising shit :v

37 minutes ago, Zytan said:

Ah, I thought I was just missing something as a medic... insane exp for medic wep kills and a 10th for actual healing :S Bloody Tripwire

Allow me to rant about Medic.

Medic is my main class, so this has been pissing me off to no end. I play a very healing focused medic, you know like the class is meant for, and the healing nets you almost no XP whatsoever unless your team is incredibly reckless and taking too much damage. If you play with a group who knows what they're doing, your healing is basically going to be almost non-existent and you're barely going to make any progress on the levels. This makes playing "combat medic" better for gaining XP, but this fucks up the medic's role because it's not the tanky medic from KF1, KF2's medic is much more of a support role. So you're this useless squishy person with no really high damage weapons trying to be top of the board to get XP and when combat medics play like this, they neglect healing their teammates and it gets everyone killed. I see it all the fucking time and I get incredibly frustrated when I see people trying to play combat medic in KF2 like they would in KF1 because it just doesn't work the same. You can't tank, your med grenades and healing aren't good enough on their own to prevent you from dying, you don't have any of the same perk bonuses that made combat medic possible in KF1, but people still do it. Combat medic is just shit, but it's the best way of getting XP because they won't up the XP gained from healing.

They really need to up the effectiveness of healing and XP gained from it. Med grenades heal in weird pulses and it makes them nearly worthless in stressful clutch situations because someone dying stands in it, gets a pulse of 10 HP, and then no more healing for another like 3-5 seconds, and then they just get fucking murdered. It's a mess. There are certain parts of the class that work well, but XP and healing effectiveness need so much reworking. XP gained from damage and kills as medic should be reduced and healing XP should be increased much more significantly than it is.

23 minutes ago, CrazyTundraWolf said:

Just played my first game, I knew from the off I was gonna play as the fire bug but it doesn't really feel very satisfying burning the zombies alive with my flamethrower, but maybe I've just been spoiled by TF2 and it's hitsounds.

Got to the final boss and he scared the shit out of me when he grabbed me and spawned those guys by cloning me or whatever , I'm such a pushy when it comes to surprising shit :v

I've actually been enjoying Firebug a lot in KF2, more so than KF1. It was the only class I had almost no time invested into in KF1 (iirc, I was level 3), and I just couldn't figure out what to do with em. I'm still not clear on the Firebug's role but I'm assuming it's akin to that of a Demo, where you're just crowd controlling.

• 2 weeks later...

People not knowing how dangerous a medic in KF2 is. Sure our job is to heal but we can become the biggest tanks...just to become the biggest tanks we have to become selfish somewhat. free armor and the ability to not only heal ourselves rapidly but also repair our own armor...I'm still waiting for a nerf for us medics but it seems Trip just looking at everyone else

3 hours ago, Deskai said:

People not knowing how dangerous a medic in KF2 is. Sure our job is to heal but we can become the biggest tanks...just to become the biggest tanks we have to become selfish somewhat. free armor and the ability to not only heal ourselves rapidly but also repair our own armor...I'm still waiting for a nerf for us medics but it seems Trip just looking at everyone else

The title's a little misleading isn't it xD

On 1/18/2016 at 7:41 AM, 6tails said:

Holy shit. The 'fix' is to run KF in Windows 7 UNDER WINDOWS 7 COMPATIBILITY MODE.

What the ever-living fuck?

Yeah the most recent patch fucked up the game's launcher, so there's a few workarounds until they put out a real patch for it.

22 hours ago, Deskai said:

KF2 Medics can't actually "tank" like they could in KF1. It's more of an "off-tank". They don't have the huge damage resistances that they did in KF1, but the movement buffs are still present, so they're awful at tanking but they can kite anything besides Patriarch and Fleshpounds very effectively on almost all difficulties.

Honestly, the bonus armor/cheap armor perk is only good until you hit level 20, then it's better to take both armor regen perks so you're giving everyone +5 armor with each dart/syringe and saving the team money on having to buy armor. If you don't do that in the higher difficulties, people will usually just boot you from the lobby because just the single +2 armor darts usually don't do much and the team takes the "cheap armor for yourself" as the selfish perk when the higher difficulties are supposed to be much more team-focused.

Medic doesn't really need any nerfs, it's in a solid state currently. What they DO need is a buff to healing XP and a reduction in killing XP because people are too focused trying to play combat medic and neglecting the core mechanic of the class, which is healing.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2016 at 1:50 PM, Kaizy said:

Yeah the most recent patch fucked up the game's launcher, so there's a few workarounds until they put out a real patch for it.

KF2 Medics can't actually "tank" like they could in KF1. It's more of an "off-tank". They don't have the huge damage resistances that they did in KF1, but the movement buffs are still present, so they're awful at tanking but they can kite anything besides Patriarch and Fleshpounds very effectively on almost all difficulties.

Honestly, the bonus armor/cheap armor perk is only good until you hit level 20, then it's better to take both armor regen perks so you're giving everyone +5 armor with each dart/syringe and saving the team money on having to buy armor. If you don't do that in the higher difficulties, people will usually just boot you from the lobby because just the single +2 armor darts usually don't do much and the team takes the "cheap armor for yourself" as the selfish perk when the higher difficulties are supposed to be much more team-focused.

Medic doesn't really need any nerfs, it's in a solid state currently. What they DO need is a buff to healing XP and a reduction in killing XP because people are too focused trying to play combat medic and neglecting the core mechanic of the class, which is healing.

yes we are closer to off tank, but at level 25 we get 200% regen on our syringe, 175 in armor, and 50% more healing from the syringe makes us able to stay in the fray.

also do people not know you can actually switch skills between rounds though its more before you kill the last zed you switch your skills so when the in between round starts you'll have those skills. I always start off with combatant in the first round before takingon armament in the next ones mostly due to medics have no problem when it comes to money as we get the most money. I will agree that they should put more exp towards healing to actually have medics heal but in the end i'm surgically attached to a berserker who taking on the boss with darts,grenades and syringes shots

12 hours ago, Deskai said:

yes we are closer to off tank, but at level 25 we get 200% regen on our syringe, 175 in armor, and 50% more healing from the syringe makes us able to stay in the fray.

also do people not know you can actually switch skills between rounds though its more before you kill the last zed you switch your skills so when the in between round starts you'll have those skills. I always start off with combatant in the first round before takingon armament in the next ones mostly due to medics have no problem when it comes to money as we get the most money. I will agree that they should put more exp towards healing to actually have medics heal but in the end i'm surgically attached to a berserker who taking on the boss with darts,grenades and syringes shots

Switching between abilities is pretty common these days actually, although I didn't think about using Combatant in the first wave and switching, that's actually clever, though only if you're in the game from Wave 1-2. Your team is gonna need that armor regen after that. I'll have to give that a try though, I'm surprised I hadn't thought of that.