Do furries have crappy lives?

#00Buck

Just now, Lucyfish said:

Nah that was way before, and I didn't get fired, I left that job because it was a run down shithole of a pizza joint run by an abusive woman.

See. This is exactly what I'm talking about. 

2 minutes ago, Terminal7 said:

I joined after reaching my lowest point. Life has been better since.

Again this proves my theory. 

5 minutes ago, Hewge said:

Life is neato !

I missed this post. Someone has a good outlook here. 

Just now, PastryOfApathy said:

Is this really the best time to hold a dick measuring contest? It's not even fair anyways since I'm naturally not a very sexual person for a variety of personal reasons anyways.

We already had the penis measuring thread a long time ago.

1 minute ago, Lucyfish said:

Being homeless for a period of time and not wanting to work for abusive people is what you're talking about?

Bruh. lol

That isn't a shitty situation? 

1 minute ago, #00Buck said:

That isn't a shitty situation? 

It is a pretty shitty situation, but that's what's common these days. The couple generations before ours doesn't give a flying turd about making life accessible for the younger generation. They have this attitude of "We could survive it, so should you" even though the very grand majority of those people have never faced said hardships. I know neither of my parents have ever been remotely near homeless, and they never had trouble getting jobs because when they were younger the job market was a lot more vast and open. It's just not healthy to be twenty-something years old in 2010+.

I wouldn't say that I've encountered very many struggles in my life, so I guess I can't really talk, but honestly life is just what you make of it. There are miserable millionaires and joyful paupers. You play the hand you're dealt, and it's your outlook that makes the difference. Besides, you only get one of these so why waste it?

Here's the pattern I see.

The older people on the forum seem to be pretty happy, have some money, and have careers. 

Everyone else as in the younger people who are the majority of forum users seem to have a far worse time in almost every category. 

Maybe it does get better as time goes on?

Or maybe when most people become happy as they become older they leave furry behind and never come back. 

• Like 1

It's not that I am super happy but things are ok... tolerable to say the least

57 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

People bleeding from their ass and lonely over dead pets.

The regular suicide threats.

Flunking out of school. 

Living in your parents basement. 

Grinding poverty and crappy minimum wage jobs. 

Physical, psychological, and sexual abuse. 

Diagnosed and medicated for multiple mental illnesses. 

Most people on this forum seem to have a pretty rough existence. 

Is this just the normal furry condition?

Surprisingly, only low income applies to me, but that is a major factor. If that is your view is miserable life, then I am living a good life at the moment

*looks up at the forum, sitting on her new couch, using her laptop, munching Poutine flavored potato chips, relaxing after a 'mere' 9hr day at work, after listening to her GF go nuts because she's getting a free Kickstarter edition of the Consumer Oculus Rift*.  I'd say everything's super over here. ^^

1 minute ago, MuttButt said:

I wouldn't say that I've encountered very many struggles in my life, so I guess I can't really talk, but honestly life is just what you make of it. There are miserable millionaires and joyful paupers. You play the hand you're dealt, and it's your outlook that makes the difference. Besides, you only get one of these so why waste it?

I admire people who been to hell and back with their head held up high. 

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

*looks up at the forum, sitting on her new couch, using her laptop, munching Poutine flavored potato chips, relaxing after a 'mere' 9hr day at work, after listening to her GF go nuts because she's getting a free Kickstarter edition of the Consumer Oculus Rift*.  I'd say everything's super over here. ^^

*Throws "Envy" bricks at you*

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

There are several people on the forum in particular who seem to get pleasure out of making the low wage earners on the forum feel even worse about how poor they are. 

In their case it seems like they are attracted to the fandom because it gives them people who they can feel more successful than. 

Just now, #00Buck said:

There are several people on the forum in particular who seem to get pleasure out of making the low wage earners on the forum feel even worse about how poor they are. 

In their case it seems like they are attracted to the fandom because it gives them people who they can feel more successful than. 

I'm mostly here for the girls with penises and the male wolves with penises. ^_^  However there is one high income earner I seem to be quite good at upsetting. :3

Edited by AshleyAshes

Just now, #00Buck said:

See. This is exactly what I'm talking about. 

Again this proves my theory. 

What theory? That people in bad spots in their lives often look towards escapism and online communities for support? Sure, I agree with that absolutely.

Look, you can point out "oh didn't so and so happen lol your life is shit" all you want. But everyone gets dealt a different hand in life and everyone has different motivations for being here. I could write a novel about the shitty things I've been forced to deal with that have for better or for worse made me who I am but quite frankly no one fucking cares, everyone has problems and mine aren't special.

My life isn't happy by any means, but I do what I can to change that like everyone else because I'm not going to spend my life being miserable if I can help it. And as it so happens, this place and the community have helped me in that goal in ways I can't adequately describe.

Just now, #00Buck said:

The older people on the forum seem to be pretty happy, have some money, and have careers. 

Everyone else as in the younger people who are the majority of forum users seem to have a far worse time in almost every category. 

Or maybe when most people become happy as they become older they leave furry behind and never come back. 

Older people are generally happier because they've already dealt with the issues that come with being a young adult, regardless of generation. Also the older you are, the more life experience you have making it easier to appreciate what you have.

Furfaggotry is what you make of it. It's as positive or as negative you make it to be so it's your choice which one you want it to be.

5 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

One does not simply leave the Fandom >=3

1 minute ago, PastryOfApathy said:

What theory? That people in bad spots in their lives often look towards escapism and online communities for support? Sure, I agree with that absolutely.

Look, you can point out "oh didn't so and so happen lol your life is shit" all you want. But everyone gets dealt a different hand in life and everyone has different motivations for being here. I could write a novel about the shitty things I've been forced to deal with that have for better or for worse made me who I am but quite frankly no one fucking cares, everyone has problems and mine aren't special.

My life isn't happy by any means, but I do what I can to change that like everyone else because I'm not going to spend my life being miserable if I can help it. And as it so happens, this place and the community have helped me in that goal in ways I can't adequately describe.

Older people are generally happier because they've already dealt with the issues that come with being a young adult, regardless of generation. Also the older you are, the more life experience you have making it easier to appreciate what you have.

Furfaggotry is what you make of it. It's as positive or as negative you make it to be so it's your choice which one you want it to be.

Yeah, as evidenced by having to drive to another state to work a crappy retail job. 

2 minutes ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

One does not simply leave the Fandom >=3

Yeah, but according to the age poll of the people who did the poll there were only six over the age of thirty.

So where are all the furries going when they get old. 

They must be leaving the fandom. 

There are plenty of happy people in the fandom, and even more unhappy people outside of the fandom. I don't really understand what point it is you're even trying to make? Are you saying that you think being a furry is some kind of mental affliction? That being a member of the fandom somehow makes you miserable?

So this thread is just going to be you picking random out-of-context snippits of our lives that we've willingly shared and telling us our lives suck.

Cool.

No. There are other people on the forum who already do that with far more skill than I ever could. 

8 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

It's like people in WoW who go into normal dungeons in Mythic gear to show how fantastic they are and tell the others either as new level 100s or still grinding for gear that they are pathetic trash for not doing as much as they are. :V

Just now, MuttButt said:

There are plenty of happy people in the fandom, and even more unhappy people outside of the fandom. I don't really understand what point it is you're even trying to make? Are you saying that you think being a furry is some kind of mental affliction? That being a member of the fandom somehow makes you miserable?

Nah he's probably just having a shit day and needs to stroke his dick to the misery of others. Either that or he's suddenly become self-conscious about being a furfag or something.

Just now, Zeke said:

It's like people in WoW who go into normal dungeons in Mythic gear to show how fantastic they are and how the others either as new level 100s or still grinding for gear are trash. :V

Yup. I don't think these people really belong in the community because they don't care about the people they are talking to.

They just care about making themselves feel like they are better than everyone else. 

3 minutes ago, MuttButt said:

Yeah, in the fandom. 

I'm talking about this forum. 

People here mostly seems to have crappy lives. 

Are you saying this is not the case because look around.

There are even people in this thread admitting they have crappy lives or came into the fandom when they hit rock bottom.

Yup. I don't think these people really belong in the community because they don't care about the people they are talking to.

They just care about making themselves feel like they are better than everyone else. 

Or they cannot get the satisfaction with their current group or climb higher to get the respect they deserve, so they have to take a few steps back.

Just now, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

-Shrug-

Only shows furries are still people

Overwhelmingly young people. 

Certainly not old people. 

Just now, Zeke said:

Or they cannot get the satisfaction with their current group or climb higher to get the respect they deserve, so they have to take a few steps back.

Exactly. They can't look big time on a forum for investors because they really only have an average amount of money.

So they look for a place with people who have far less than them so they can feel like they are something special. 

Yeah, in the fandom. 

I'm talking about this forum. 

People here mostly seems to have crappy lives. 

Are you saying this is not the case because look around.

There are even people in this thread admitting they have crappy lives or came into the fandom when they hit rock bottom.

But what is your point?

I've had it pretty damn good

In fact I feel sorta out of place around other furfags when they talk about all the fucked up shit that's happened to them.

I do my best to try and empathize but it's tough to do sometimes when you've had a pretty rad life.

Just now, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

B-but I only do that to help newbies. I SWEAR! look at my heals! 

There are those that do help newbies without being "your DPS sucks" because you are still in last patch's gear farming for new stuff. Same goes for people having money and not using their well-off status to shit on others for working and going to school, or just getting into the job market. 

1 minute ago, Zerig said:

In fact I feel sorta out of place around other furfags when they talk about all the fucked up shit that's happened to them.

I do my best to try and empathize but it's tough to do sometimes when you've had a pretty rad life.

Exactly. Having a rad life is not normal among the people in this forum. 

2 minutes ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

B-but I only do that to help newbies. I SWEAR! look at my heals! 

I know you're a team player. 

Just now, #00Buck said:

Exactly. Having a rad life is not normal among the people in this forum. 

Having a rad life is not normal among most young people, though.

I don't think being a furry has anything to do with it, really. I'm on non-furry forums and the tale is exactly the same there.

Just now, Lucyfish said:

Having a rad life is not normal among most young people, though.

I don't think being a furry has anything to do with it, really. I'm on non-furry forums and the tale is exactly the same there.

I'm on non-furry forums and the tale is the total opposite. 

People are generally happy. 

Just now, #00Buck said:

Read the thread title. 

Okay? The answer which literally anybody could have told you, is some do some don't. Like every single community to ever exist, some people are happier than others. It's just how demographics work.

I still don't understand what the point of this thread is outside of you pointing out the obvious and taking potshots at people for admitting to having personal problems.

3 minutes ago, Zerig said:

Nothing wrong with that. The last thing I ever want is people feeling alienated because they have the audacity to be happy.

Just now, Lucyfish said:

I'm wondering what forums you're on then, because I've seen tons of hardship on furry and non-furry forums alike.

Forums for sports, outdoor activities, hobbies. 

Lots of people having a good time. 

Nobody talking about being sexually abused or ass blood. 

okay now this is just getting stupid

4 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

Antho characters go back to ancient Egypt.

the furry fandom has only been around since the 70's or 80's

I'm on non-furry forums and the tale is the total opposite. 

People are generally happy. 

and most of the people I follow on Tumblr have shit lives. very few of them are furries.

Okay? The answer which literally anybody could have told you, is some do some don't. Like every single community to ever exist, some people are happier than others. It's just how demographics work.

I still don't understand what the point of this thread is outside of you pointing out the obvious and taking potshots at people for admitting to having personal problems.

Nothing wrong with that. The last thing I ever want is people feeling alienated because they have the audacity to be happy.

No. Very few people here have rad lives. Most people here are miserable. 

5 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

Antho characters go back to ancient Egypt. 

In pop culture antrho cartoon characters pre-date Star Trek, Star Wars, Anime, and every other fandom. 

Lol trust me, I know the whole spiel. I'm aware anthro animals have been a thing for forever. But we didn't call it the furry fandom until the 80's. There were no forums, conventions, websites, or anything of the sort dedicated to the concept.

Forums for sports, outdoor activities, hobbies. 

Lots of people having a good time. 

Nobody talking about being sexually abused or ass blood. 

Furry forums are more community-based though, rather than hobby-based. People aren't here to talk about a specific hobby and nothing else, they're here to talk to other people as a community. Opening up about your problems isn't really something you do on a football forum.

Go to a community forum like Facepunch and you'll see tons of young people opening up about their problems within community-based sections, like the LGBT threads.

Just now, MuttButt said:

Lol trust me, I know the whole spiel. I'm aware anthro animals have been a thing for forever. But we didn't call it the furry fandom until the 80's. There were no forums, conventions, websites, or anything of the sort dedicated to the concept.

So where are the furries from 1980 - 2005?

Did they just disappear from the planet?

There's a tech forum I hang out on elsewhere.  Most of the posts are not that interesting, but every week or so someone is like 'How much is my brand new high end PC worth!?  Because I just built it but now I have to sell it to make rent money!' or something similar.  I always wonder how those short sighted purchases happen. O.o

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

There's a tech forum I hang out on elsewhere.  Most of the posts are not that interesting, but every week or so someone is like 'How much is my brand new high end PC worth!?  Because I just built it but now I have to sell it to make rent money!' or something similar.  I always wonder how those short sighted purchases happen. O.o

Yeah, but how much complaining is there about working minimum wage, living in your mom's basement, your dog dying, getting molested etc. 

I bet that forum does not even have one tenth of the dysfunction that this one does.