Do furries have crappy lives?

#00Buck

People bleeding from their ass and lonely over dead pets.

The regular suicide threats.

Flunking out of school. 

Living in your parents basement. 

Grinding poverty and crappy minimum wage jobs. 

Physical, psychological, and sexual abuse. 

Diagnosed and medicated for multiple mental illnesses. 

Most people on this forum seem to have a pretty rough existence. 

Is this just the normal furry condition?

I'm sitting in my apartment eating authentic gorditas and drinking barrel-aged beer while prepping for an academic conference and occasionally posting random things on the internet.

Life's pretty good.

Negative things draw far more attention than positive things, and there's no rule or taboo against personal rants/complaints on these forums that would upset that imbalance.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Onnes said:

I'm sitting in my apartment eating authentic gorditas and drinking barrel-aged beer while prepping for an academic conference and occasionally posting random things on the internet.

Life's pretty good.

Negative things draw far more attention than positive things, and there's no rule or taboo against personal rants/complaints on these forums that would upset that imbalance.

You seem to be the exception. Most people here seem to be in a different place.

For one thing we already know the forum users are mostly late teens to mid twenties at most. 

I guess young people overall have less money as they are mostly students or work minimum wage since they are an age when they should really be in school. 

6 minutes ago, MuttButt said:

I'd say that for the most part, people in general tend to have fairly crappy lives on average. The furry fandom might draw in more of those people than normal just by its accepting nature, and also because it can be an escape from reality. 

I agree with this, but I think in addition being part of a close/intimate community gives people a place where they feel comfortable to talk about the bad stuff that's going on/has gone on previously.

• Like 2

Save for times when I feel the need to let it all out, life is great. I work at a library and the only thing I deal with on a regular basis are people who steal bibles and masturbators 

I don't post my problems on the net often. How I deal with it is going to an open Kung Fu studio on sparing nights and beat the shit out of people. :D

1 minute ago, Alexxx-Returns said:

I agree with this, but I think in addition being part of a close/intimate community gives people a place where they feel comfortable to talk about the bad stuff that's going on/has gone on previously.

So if furry a place where people can comfortable tell random strangers about the most horrible things in their lives? 

1 minute ago, DevilishlyHandsome49 said:

My life was pretty off before I was a furry, so....

Same thing?

1 minute ago, Zeke said:

Save for times when I feel the need to let it all out, life is great. I work at a library and the only thing I deal with on a regular basis are people who steal bibles and masturbators 

I don't post my problems on the net often. How I deal with it is going to an open Kung Fu studio on sparing nights and beat the shit out of people. :D

I'm sure your victims will be creating user profiles shortly. 

3 minutes ago, Alexxx-Returns said:

That's true! For many people, their furry friends are among the only people they can be honest with about their issues. 

I've talked about this before, but furfaggotry (similarly to many other fandoms and 'fringe' communities) naturally attract lonely, damaged people.

To give a kind of average scenario to illustrate what I mean, imagine "Fishfucker" is a nerdy freshman in like high school or something with below-average social skills. Because he's a sperg, he doesn't really have any friends and escapes to the internet like most people in his demographic do to cope with crippling loneliness.

In his search for a community, Fishfucker naturally stumbles into furfaggotry because it's kinda everywhere and finds acceptance. Now another broken shell of a human being has joined our lovely little community to do lord-knows-what. Lucky us.

Obviously it's a bit more complicated than that, and I'm not exactly one to talk about people having shitty lives but that's the gist of it.

• Like 3

Just now, MuttButt said:

That's true! For many people, their furry friends are among the only people they can be honest with about their issues. 

Are you saying that people don't talk about their bleeding anal wounds from random gay sex on the NASCAR forum? 

Just now, #00Buck said:

Are you saying that people don't talk about their bleeding anal wounds from random gay sex on the NASCAR forum? 

You keep referencing bleeding assholes specifically, I don't suppose there was a very...special thread I missed? lol

2 minutes ago, MuttButt said:

You keep referencing bleeding assholes specifically, I don't suppose there was a very...special thread I missed? lol

Someone new just joined and one of their first posts is about how anal sex made their ass bleed a whole lot. 

https://phoenix.corvidae.org/topic/1906-i-just-really-want-to-post-this/

Edited by #00Buck

8 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

You seem to be the exception. Most people here seem to be in a different place.

For one thing we already know the forum users are mostly late teens to mid twenties at most. 

I guess young people overall have less money as they are mostly students or work minimum wage since they are an age when they should really be in school. 

School is expensive and one of the major causes of some people's woes.

6 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

Do you deal with the early 20's age group much? Because I'm sure that many of them would spend their days complaining regardless of their actual circumstances. I have to regularly interact with undergraduates from upper class backgrounds admitted to a prestigious university, and I have to keep my eyes from rolling out of my skull on a daily basis due to all the 'woe is me' talk I'm subjected to.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

School is expensive and one of the major causes of some people's woes.

Yeah but that is normal woes.

Going to the strip joint and feeling bad about it is not normal. 

For someone who claims to not be gay you should be aroused by the sight of a room full of beautiful naked women.

This is the kind of above and beyond the normal stuff I'm talking about. 

3 minutes ago, Onnes said:

Do you deal with the early 20's age group much? Because I'm sure that many of them would spend their days complaining regardless of their actual circumstances. I have to regularly interact with undergraduates from upper class backgrounds admitted to a prestigious university, and I have to keep my eyes from rolling out of my skull on a daily basis due to all the 'woe is me' talk I'm subjected to.

Yeah I get what you're saying. But I'm sure you're not being told tales of rape and incest. 

Around here the normal complaint involves horrible things that go way beyond normal teenage complaints.

Edited by #00Buck

3 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

I've talked about this before, but furfaggotry (similarly to many other fandoms and 'fringe' communities) naturally attract lonely, damaged people.

To give a kind of average scenario to illustrate what I mean, imagine "Fishfucker" is a nerdy freshman in like high school or something with below-average social skills. Because he's a sperg, he doesn't really have any friends and escapes to the internet like most people in his demographic do to cope with crippling loneliness.

In his search for a community, Fishfucker naturally stumbles into furfaggotry because it's kinda everywhere and finds acceptance. Now another broken shell of a human being has joined our lovely little community to do lord-knows-what. Lucky us.

Obviously it's a bit more complicated than that, and I'm not exactly one to talk about people having shitty lives but that's the gist of it.

unfortunately, yeah, I'll agree with this. You find the same kinds of people into anime or any community where you don't really have to do anything to belong. If you belong to a group where you have to develop a skill or practice something (homebrewing, programming, martial arts, painting, whatever) a lot of those "damaged" people might try it out, fail once, and withdraw back into their shell. In the long run you're left with individuals who can stick with things, but I guess that still doesn't rule out the hardcore spergs.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

For someone who claims to not be gay you should be aroused by the sight of a room full of beautiful naked women.

Not necessarily.

Just because there's a naked chick doesn't mean someones automatically turned on. There's loads of different factors that are taken into account when the brain decides if it's aroused, and the inherently seedy atmosphere of your average strip club (or feelings of exploitation depending on your politics) turns off lot of people, myself very much included.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

Garth is a Surgeon/Medical Practitioner

I'm a Chef

Yellow_Fox is an Engineer

Muln is a Bank Supervisor.

I think we're good

Yeah, but you're not average on this forum. I think you are one of the oldest people here if I remember correctly from the age thread.

All these people would have to be older except the chef. You can pull that off at an early age.

The more pertinent question is are these people actually happy?

Are they deeply damaged people on the inside? 

Furries have a bit of an escapism culture surrounding the fandom I think. A large portion of people use these characters as a way to create in their mind an escape, a sort of idealized version of themselves or the world where everything in their lives are the way each person wants them to be to get away from a poor life for a little. This might also be why video games and other nerdy stuff are so beloved in places like this. So perhaps that might explain it a bit.

13 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

This is the kind of above and beyond the normal stuff I'm talking about. 

I wouldn't say I felt bad about it. Just that I didn't enjoy it and hated being there, and that was my little rant for the day. Its not as if I will forever be traumatized over the fact that I went to a strip club. And I mean its not like I don't like the idea of being surrounded by beautiful naked women. That's just not my idealized way of being put in such a situation. I like things to be more personal and less uncomfortable. Also less sleazy. I'm picky and context is important. I'm not going to say I'm normal but...

Edited by Battlechili
  • Like 1

Just now, 6tails said:

My life, other than me being not entirely organic, is pretty good. I can work in just about any field I choose, at most any time I desire, I've got my man, and I've got my cats, and I've got all the weed I can tolerate.

I think furries are more open in general and have no major barriers to voicing some of their issues.

You are also far older than average. But yes you do seem to be a pretty content person so good for you. 

2 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Not necessarily.

Just because there's a naked chick doesn't mean someones automatically turned on. There's loads of different factors that are taken into account when the brain decides if it's aroused, and the inherently seedy atmosphere of your average strip club (or feelings of exploitation depending on your politics) turns off lot of people, myself very much included.

Surround any straight male with enough tits and ass and they will have a physical reaction. 

The only way I can see this not working is if the strippers are hideously ugly. 

You can't look at a vagina in a "classy" way. It's just too biological and primal for that. 

5 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

You are also far older than average. But yes you do seem to be a pretty content person so good for you. 

Surround any straight male with enough tits and ass and they will have a physical reaction. 

You can't look at a vagina in a "classy" way. It's just too biological and primal for that. 

I wonder how much Da Vinci and the other ren masters jerked off to their own paintings. And as far as furry artists, I wonder if Louis Wain ever jerked it to his psychedelic cats.

8 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

I think you're hideously oversimplifying something as unbelievably complicated as human attraction.

Like @Battlechili said, context is immensely important and is the reason why most people don't jerk it to pictures of naked women in camps during the Holocaust or something. Unless that's their fetish of course, in which case I stopped being surprised a long time ago.

Edited by PastryOfApathy
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

depends on the person but it's actually a pretty common reaction to feel uncomfortable in a strip club. especially if you've never been to one. and some people just can't get into them at all.

1 minute ago, PastryOfApathy said:

I think you're hideously oversimplifying something as unbelievably complicated as human attraction.

Like @Battlechili said, context is immensely important and is the reason why most people don't jerk it to pictures of naked women in camps during the Holocaust or something. Unless that's there fetish of course, in which case I stopped being surprised a long time ago.

1 minute ago, Pignog said:

I wonder how much Da Vinci and the other ren masters jerked off to their own paintings. And as far as furry artists, I wonder if Louis Wain ever jerked it to his psychedelic cats.

I'm willing to bet that I masturbate far less than either of you. 

1 minute ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

There are all of people who are happy, they just don't say it. 

It's like when people always look at the bad side of things.

People are way more likely to complain about inconveniences and bad things in their lives than they are to talk about how they're content and happy. It's also human nature to focus on negatives, so I'd say you're spot on. On top of that, I personally am oftentimes nervous to talk about positive and happy things in my life because I don't want to make anybody feel envious, or feel like I'm gloating or anything like that. I spent a lot of time wondering whether I should post my most recent thread in rants and raves, but I ultimately decided that the sub could use a little bit of positivity. Most people seemed to appreciate it luckily :3

• Like 1

Just now, Lucyfish said:

The average quality of life has been decreasing steadily for years. Being a young person in today's day and age isn't easy, and it's just getting harder.

Didn't you move in with your drug dealer right before you got fired from your minimum wage job making pizza? 

Just now, #00Buck said:

Didn't you move in with your drug dealer right before you got fired from your minimum wage job making pizza? 

Nah that was way before, and I didn't get fired, I left that job because it was a run down shithole of a pizza joint run by an abusive woman.