Rabbit Rants about Personal shit.

Rabbit Head

This could be the only rant or this could be updated with different rants about all kinds of personal stuff. Mainly, this is where I talk about things I'm too afraid to bring up anywhere else. But let me talk about something I've been agonizing over, first...

I'm not one for STEM fields, I think. Especially math and I don't dream about anything like engineering or complex and hard stuff like that.

I could be good at them (well, not math), but I lack both interest and motivation whenever I have to deal with these fields. The fact that there is more and more call for people in these professions, added to the poor economy right now really scares me. Sometimes I feel what I personally want out of life seems to be contradictory to what society expects out of me. That it also simply doesn't care about my personals wants out of life like a more demanding version of a lovecraftian horror also makes me feel the pressure a bit. 

I'm an artist, at least I want to be. When it comes to occupation, creativity and telling stories and making making images for a living is definitely what I've wanted out of life since I was a kid. It's the main thing that's always held my interest above all other things. Specifically, I want to be a comic artist which is niche as fuck. Something I'm afraid and embarrassed to admit to people IRL, especially before or after showing them my artwork. I maybe could give animation a shot. 

This gives way to aaaaaaaalllllllll the expected and cliche fretting over skill, style, and popularity. I'm not bringing those up right now...  

Unfortunately, I'm in college and the area doesn't seem to have a lot of specific programs and such for art majors. (A major I'm really surprised at how embarrassed I get when I tell people. I thought I wasn't the type to be embarrassed about that kind of thing, but I am. huh.) I know what I specifically want to do, but I'm worried that going into it may not be enough to be financially successful. Or if i'll even have a job for it ready by the time I get out of college and owing a lot of loan debt.

The idea is to get a Studio Arts degree, but I've seen how vague what that degree entails. It's actually been fucking with my motivation and I'm starting to lose sight of the bigger picture. I don't see myself in the grand scheme. Especially when all this tedious general education stuff is taking away time I could be using to hone my art skills, which is something I'm VERY insecure about in play of my success as an artist.

I'm not thinking of giving up. Not in the slightest, I'll truck through but these are the nagging feelings that have been eating away at me lately.    

There are a lot of other factors and I could ramble on about this forever, but I've gotta cut this off somewhere.

Now if I could just click on the submit button.........

• Like 5

I know a lot of art majors, they're work is really difficult and the end result is usually not that rewarding, few jobs, low pay, etc... Art is a wonderful thing to study; myself I want to take a few classes before i finish my undergraduate degree because it is just amazing... though I may not have time with all my biology classes for my major.

not saying you should, but it might be a good idea to get a major in something that you can get any type of job you want, and at the same time try to continue with your art and even if you wish get an art minor, that be good especially if you need to find a higher paying job

maybe you could try Web Design since that is a good way to convert your artistic skills into something that can get you a good job. It's prolly the most profitable way to use art right now. Also nothing is stopping you from doing comics while having a regular non art job.

Going to college to get a job is a really poor idea with the ridiculous amounts of debt and cost of college, so it's good that your main reasons for getting an art degree aren't job related.

To be happy or successful, the age old quandary.  I'm not sure I can give much advice here, but if you have the option for a more traditional second major (or minor) that may be a good backup plan.  You may be happy as an artist, but you will starve for it.  Having a secondary skill could be a wise plan, even if you never (hopefully) use it.  

You want to be an artist?

Do you know the steps in the whole process of animation? Pretty sure theres jobs for artists, not just animators. They draw out the scenes, a bit like comic book, the animators take those and make it flow, in an animation. I'm not sure about the pay, but animation (I.e cartoons and movies) are a constant thing, so there are definitely companies for it out there.

Feel free to correct anything I got wrong here, but I had actually talked to a media arts teacher about this and the process animations are made.

"Stop looking for the 'right' career, and start looking for a job. Any job. Forget about what you like. Focus on what's available. Get yourself hired. Show up early. Stay late. Volunteer for the scut work. Become indispensable. You can always quit later, and be no worse off than you are today.

But don't waste another year looking for a career that doesn't exist. And most of all, stop worrying about your happiness. Happiness does not come from a job. It comes from knowing what you truly value, and behaving in a way that's consistent with those beliefs."

7 hours ago, 6tails said:

Use your artistic skills to draw propaganda posters for governments. I hear that pays well.

Or use your skills to draw posters selling designer jeans and carbonated drinks for businesses ^__^

3 hours ago, Rassah said:

Keep this one thing in mind: Regardless of our advances in STEM, technology, and whatever else, and regardless of what happens in the economy... People will still want to be entertained.

Bread and circuses never get old ;]

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wrecker said:

"Stop looking for the 'right' career, and start looking for a job. Any job. Forget about what you like. Focus on what's available. Get yourself hired. Show up early. Stay late. Volunteer for the scut work. Become indispensable. You can always quit later, and be no worse off than you are today.

But don't waste another year looking for a career that doesn't exist. And most of all, stop worrying about your happiness. Happiness does not come from a job. It comes from knowing what you truly value, and behaving in a way that's consistent with those beliefs."

Oy. I would advise the exact opposite of this. Don't settle for a job. You only have one life to live. Don't get stuck spending it on someone else. Focus on your own interest and your own happiness. Job, career, and money are terrible goals, and if you spend your life chasing them, you'll grow old regretting not doing anything with your life.

Find out what makes you happy. Explore. Try different things. Many different things. Take risks. Life is an adventure. The worst that can happen to you is you get to sleep outside for a while. That is also an adventure. Enjoy the bad times. They are a good lesson, both of what not to do, and of how to deal with situations when they come your way. Find your passion. Seize it. Pursue it at all costs. Make sure it's what makes you happy. Then find a way to support yourself with it. Even if you don't earn much from it, remember, life is for enjoying, and for doing what you want with it. As long as that's what you're doing, nothing else, including your financial situation, matters.

And if you truly grasp and master all this, you will be one of very rare and very special people in this world, having achieved what very few have, or even tried.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Rassah said:

Oy. I would advise the exact opposite of this. Don't settle for a job. You only have one life to live. Don't get stuck spending it on someone else. Focus on your own interest and your own happiness. Job, career, and money are terrible goals, and if you spend your life chasing them, you'll grow old regretting not doing anything with your life.

Find out what makes you happy. Explore. Try different things. Many different things. Take risks. Life is an adventure. The worst that can happen to you is you get to sleep outside for a while. That is also an adventure. Enjoy the bad times. They are a good lesson, both of what not to do, and of how to deal with situations when they come your way. Find your passion. Seize it. Pursue it at all costs. Make sure it's what makes you happy. Then find a way to support yourself with it. Even if you don't earn much from it, remember, life is for enjoying, and for doing what you want with it. As long as that's what you're doing, nothing else, including your financial situation, matters.

And if you truly grasp and master all this, you will be one of very rare and very special people in this world, having achieved what very few have, or even tried.

Wow, I didn't think you'd say something like that.

I fucking approve this message.

On 3/30/2016 at 5:59 AM, Endless/Nameless said:

Wow, I didn't think you'd say something like that.

I fucking approve this message.

Of course. I live this lifestyle, and wish I had started to earlier, since I heard it over ten years ago. Why didn't you think I would say something like that?

26 minutes ago, Rassah said:

Of course. I live this lifestyle, and wish I had started to earlier, since I heard it over ten years ago. Why didn't you think I would say something like that?

All the economics talk gives off a cold, calculated vibe sometimes. I thought you'd be more the type to put career/monetary goals ahead of personal fulfillment. I am sorry for that assumtion. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2016 at 8:43 PM, Endless/Nameless said:

All the economics talk gives off a cold, calculated vibe sometimes. I thought you'd be more the type to put career/monetary goals ahead of personal fulfillment. I am sorry for that assumtion. 

Well, as I, and practically every other "How to be Wealthy" book written by actual rich people (not get-rich-quick scammers), always say, the only sure way to become rich is to give others (customers, business partners) as much as you can, and to focus on your passion and interest. Money happens almost as a side effect ("the more you give, the more will come back to you" is a pretty commonly repeated mantra). Just having money as your goal is a pretty much guaranteed way to stay broke. Which pretty much screws people, cause they see others with lots of money, get envious, focus on more money as a goal, and stay broke, and no one really realizes that to have a lot of money, you basically have to have it as one of your last priorities.

But you do need to work within the law of economics and finance in the system (not political laws, but how things naturally happen), so you do need to know those too, and that can seem cold and calculated, as math usually is.

• 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Rabbit Head said:

Man, TFW when you can't stand a person, even when you try your best to be friendly with them.

I know a couple people on the internet who I can never get along with, even if I try. Not going to say who, but... Damn.

We out to 4chan, or nah?

The happiest people I know are the wives of rich men. 

They don't have to work ever. They get lots of money. They do whatever they want all day long. 

If you can marry a rich sugar mommy / daddy that's the best option there is. 

You get love, money, and time to do whatever you like. 

I would strongly suggest that making sure that even if you have fundamental doubts about the practicality of the degree, that you don't allow yourself to subconsciously create a net of complacency as a fallback to potential failures. The reality about art is that if you want to do it, you have to be insane about it. What a degree in performance and visual arts represents is proof that you're qualified to do work; that's it. Knowing that means that the rest comes from yourself. If you believe you have the capacity to improve, the best thing you can do is start assessing yourself in a way that reflects your ideal self.

I've recently switched to a much less economically stable degree (composition over education). The reason is this; doing what you love is one of the best excuses to be a workaholic. There are certainly health-related limits, most certainly, but you have the unbelievable advantage of being able to intrinsically believe what you're doing is important. If you want to succeed in any field, at some point you need to be able to comprehend and apply the idea of exceeding your given standards. That is most likely to happen in a field where you are actively able to invest yourself for more than the sake of employment.

The result of this is that you may not succeed, but you have to tell yourself that that's not the reason you would try so hard to be great at what you do. You want to be a comic artist because you love it, right? Then enjoy what you love and make it something more than you could have asked for. If the stars align, a professional medium will recognize that fact. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, #00Buck said:

The happiest people I know are the wives of rich men. 

They don't have to work ever. They get lots of money. They do whatever they want all day long. 

If you can marry a rich sugar mommy / daddy that's the best option there is. 

You get love, money, and time to do whatever you like. 

It gets kinda lonely though, I bet. Your rich hubby is off doing business all the time, going to Acapulco one week, Austin another, and San Francisco the next, hanging out with his rich business buddies, and you just get to stay home, trying to find ways to occupy yourself with the money, but not getting much companionship. Probably feel like property or a pet after a while.

(I miss my poor hubby who's stuck at home all by himself and lonely :( )

6 hours ago, Rassah said:

It gets kinda lonely though, I bet. Your rich hubby is off doing business all the time, going to Acapulco one week, Austin another, and San Francisco the next, hanging out with his rich business buddies, and you just get to stay home, trying to find ways to occupy yourself with the money, but not getting much companionship. Probably feel like property or a pet after a while.

(I miss my poor hubby who's stuck at home all by himself and lonely :( )

That's when the pool boy starts to look more attractive ^__^

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rabbit Head said:

Man, TFW when you can't stand a person, even when you try your best to be friendly with them.

I know a couple people on the internet who I can never get along with, even if I try. Not going to say who, but... Damn.

Well if possible distance yourself from them. Why expend effort trying to be friends when it doesn't benefit you and they obviously don't care?