Page 206

FenrirDarkWolf

Next to Mirissa, Kumar was Loren's most welcome—and most frequent—visitor.  Despite his nickname, it seemed to Loren that Kumar was more like a faithful dog—or, rather, a friendly puppy—than a lion.  There were a dozen much-pampered dogs in Tarna, and someday they might also live again on Sagan Two, resuming their long acquaintanceship with man.

Loren had now learned what a risk the boy had taken in that tumultuous sea.  It was well for them both that Kumar never left shore without a diver's knife strapped to his leg; even so, he had been underwater for more than three minutes, sawing through the cable entangling Loren. Calypso's crew had been certain that they had both drowned.

Despite the bond that now united them, Loren found it difficult to make much conversation with Kumar.  After all, there were only a limited number of ways in which one could say, "Thank you for saving my life," and their backgrounds were so utterly dissimilar that they had very few common grounds of reference.  If he talked to Kumar about Earth or the ship, everything had to be explained in agonizing detail; and after a while Loren realized that he was wasting his time.  Unlike his sister, Kumar lived in the world of immediate experience; only the here and now of Thalassa were important to him.  "How I envy him!" Kaldor had once remarked.  "He's a creature of today—not haunted by the past or fearful of the future!"

The first page of Chapter 37, "In Vino Veritas," of The Songs of Distant Earth by Arthur C. Clarke.

I don't have any books nearby, or many books in general, so you get webcomic dialogue instead.

Tell me, have you heard whispers in our midst - tales, rumors, anything about this son of a barren woman? Strange, don't you think?

SMPTE_color_bars_on_NTSC_vectorscope.png

Fig. 9-11 Vectorscope display on oscilloscope screen for precise checks of color amplitudes and phase angles.

The screen of the vectorscope is calibrated in IRE units and phase angle. The small squares indicate a tolerance of ±2.5 IRE units and ±2.5° in phase angle. The larger secor-shaped borders that surround each square inducate a tolerance of ±20 IRE and ±10° in phase. Target marks are shown also for burst and the I and Q signals. A vectorscope can be set up to lock in the encoder on the burst signal of one source while displaying the bars of another source. This technique allows different color sources to be matched in phase.

----------------------------------------------

Basic television and video systems, by Bernard Grob, fifth edition, page 206.