Make Phoenix Great Again

Terminal7

Just thought it was a good idea to have a list of community guideline for new members to look at. 

This isn't a rulebook, nor is it the official cite rules - just a general idea of this forum's etiquette. 

Also, any goals you guys want to set for this forum can be written here. 

Furry Trump will build us a great wall – and nobody builds walls better than Furry Trump, believe me – and He’ll build them very inexpensively. He will build a great, great wall on our unsecured border, and He will make the spambots pay for that wall. Mark my words.

I am sorry. 
On a more serious note, maybe we could try to be a little less gross at times? Maybe?? Possibly??? Idk..... It'd be nice to see some newcomers in here a little more often, and to be able to actually keep a few more regularly active users... I'm always surprised when I look at older threads and see just how many people have left/been inactive in only 6 months. But I guess maybe that's better than getting a bunch of losers in here...

1 hour ago, Endless/Nameless said:

Furry Trump will build us a great wall – and nobody builds walls better than Furry Trump, believe me – and He’ll build them very inexpensively. He will build a great, great wall on our unsecured border, and He will make the spambots pay for that wall. Mark my words.

Will that wall have enough glory foxholes?

• Like 2

@Toboe They're going to be built. It's not even—believe it or not—it's not even a difficult thing to do. He's going to beat FA, SoFurry. He's going to beat /r/Furry with foxholes. Everybody’s got to be covered. He doesn’t care if it costs him yiffs or not. Everybody’s going to be taken care of much better than they’re taken care of now. He will be the greatest furry site administrator that God ever created. 

Edited by Endless/Nameless
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Endless/Nameless said:

I am sorry. 
On a more serious note, maybe we could try to be a little less gross at times? Maybe?? Possibly??? Idk..... It'd be nice to see some newcomers in here a little more often, and to be able to actually keep a few more regularly active users... I'm always surprised when I look at older threads and see just how many people have left/been inactive in only 6 months. But I guess maybe that's better than getting a bunch of losers in here...

Fucking seriously.

• Like 4

It's naive to come to a furry forum and expect to be able to control the weirdness and if you're expecting to do so, you're on the wrong forum.

Even if you magically got everyone already here to tow the line, new people joining have a pretty high chance of being weird just on account of that being acceptable in the fandom as a whole.

Part of interacting on a something as public as a forum is encountering people you dislike. There's no removing that.

2 minutes ago, Cingal said:

It's naive to come to a furry forum and expect to be able to control the weirdness and if you're expecting to do so, you're on the wrong forum.

Even if you magically got everyone already here to tow the line, new people joining have a pretty high chance of being weird just on account of that being acceptable in the fandom as a whole.

Part of interacting on a something as public as a forum is encountering people you dislike. There's no removing that.

New Phoenixed Forums Global Site Rule: Users who cannot contain their "Furry Weirdness" are no longer protected by any site rule except this one.

9 minutes ago, Clove Darkwave said:

New Phoenixed Forums Global Site Rule: Users who cannot contain their "Furry Weirdness" are no longer protected by any site rule except this one.

I think what you're looking for is a chatroom, not a public forum.

18 minutes ago, Cingal said:

I almost feel like the fandom being weird isn't really an excuse to be overrly sexual and gross all the time for no reason. most of us are adults and there's a time and place for that kind of discussion. but it doesn't need to be present in every thread 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Cingal said:

I don't disagree. Nor am I calling for a crackdown. I'm just a little concerned that some of the crap that goes down here might be scaring people off. Maybe that's not so bad, survival of the fittest and all that; but I just hope this place will continue to thrive over time. I like it here. 

6 minutes ago, Clove Darkwave said:

Pretty sure you've got those two purposes swapped.

Chatroom = You can filter out who you want.

Public forum = Anyone can join.

If you want a place in which only people you like can talk, a chatroom is what you want.

5 minutes ago, willow said:

I almost feel like the fandom being weird isn't really an excuse to be overrly sexual and gross all the time for no reason. most of us are adults and there's a time and place for that kind of discussion. but it doesn't need to be present in every thread 

Excuse? No. Explanation? Yes.

The fandom has a very open attitude towards being all lewd and weird with each other. As such, the majority of people joining the forum are going to be like that.

Having harsh rules on stuff people regard as inoffensive and part of general discourse would probably scare more people off than it'd attract.

Personally, I typically avoid being all weird and stuff, but, given we have an entire section dedicate towards "Do what you want", I can't help but recognize the demand for such things.

@Cingal About a year ago, I tried to deal the yiffy nature of the fandom by discussing it with some of the members here. Trying to get them to change is not worth it. Besides,  I don't set the rules here, only the admins and mods. Maybe my wording is bad and "guidelines" isn't the right word to use , but I feel that the members here act differently than other communities. What members think  is okay should be clear but not constricting.

Silencing potential voices and perspectives is pointless on a forum.  That's just common sense. 

Edited by Terminal7

3 hours ago, Terminal7 said:

Just thought it was a good idea to have a list of community guideline for new members to look at. 

This isn't a rulebook, nor is it the official cite rules - just a general idea of this forum's etiquette. 

Also, any goals you guys want to set for this forum can be written here. 

Don't be uptight. 

Have a sense of humour. 

Accept that it is okay for people to have a different opinion than you. 

Post early. Post often. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cingal said:

Excuse? No. Explanation? Yes.

The fandom has a very open attitude towards being all lewd and weird with each other. As such, the majority of people joining the forum are going to be like that.

Having harsh rules on stuff people regard as inoffensive and part of general discourse would probably scare more people off than it'd attract.

Personally, I typically avoid being all weird and stuff, but, given we have an entire section dedicate towards "Do what you want", I can't help but recognize the demand for such things.

yes but that doesn't mean it needs to be integrated into every conversation or that you need to be extremely explicit with these things. and not everyone really wants to read that all the time 

but I never said anything about being stricter

1 hour ago, #00Buck said:

Don't be uptight. 

Have a sense of humour. 

Accept that it is okay for people to have a different opinion than you. 

Post early. Post often. 

I actually legit like this. 

Just now, Lemon said:

I actually legit like this. 

Thanks. 

We don't need more rules around here. We just need people to apply their sense of humour and a dash of empathy. 

I also like how people are surprised when I say something that actually makes sense. 

Although I'd like to believe that people attribute these things to luck instead of actual intelligence. 

1 minute ago, #00Buck said:

Thanks. 

We don't need more rules around here. We just need people to apply their sense of humour and a dash of empathy. 

I also like how people are surprised when I say something that actually makes sense. 

Although I'd like to believe that people attribute these things to luck instead of actual intelligence. 

I'm not surprised. You and I may not agree on lots of things but I aint gonna be surprised when you make a good point. I saw your comments on, "all or nothing" re: underage users and lewd crap on the forums. I agreed then, I agreed now. 

1 minute ago, Lemon said:

I'm not surprised. You and I may not agree on lots of things but I aint gonna be surprised when you make a good point. I saw your comments on, "all or nothing" re: underage users and lewd crap on the forums. I agreed then, I agreed now. 

True we may disagree on many things but we can always agree to disagree. That is what makes for civilized conversation and a good conversation is one of life's great pleasures. It means you don't have to grind the other person down until they quit talking. Most people I know who claim they "won" an argument didn't win anything. They just talked louder and longer than the other person who eventually gave up. 

Much like on this forum my friends in real life are mostly on the left politically. This is simply because of the geographic location I live in. Also some of my interests line up with people on the left. Many of my interests do not line up at all with theirs. I often have to remind them that I'm in the room when they start trashing certain people or ideas. They tend to forget that I'm on the opposite spectrum politically. Mostly because having fun and sharing our common interests takes priority over arguing. 

The exceptional circumstance is when I catch one of them doing something that actually breaks with their core beliefs. I'll accept almost any kind of behaviour as long as it is consistent. But hypocrisy is scary when it creeps beyond the idea stage and starts to become action. That's when I tend to step in and my friends always thank me afterwards. People get so emotional they often forget who they really are and what they stand for and need a bit of a reminder.

But you can't do this if you stop talking. 

Stopping conversation or preventing conversation is a huge tactic I see people apply constantly these days and it does far more harm than good. 

• Like 2

The nature of the fandom tends to be more accepting of weirdness. It's only natural that a forum based on the fandom will be the same. Trying to make it otherwise would be a futile waste of time, however hilarious it might be.

Telling people to contain their weirdness just shows you lack a sense of humour, or are trying to take yourself or the forums too seriously. There have been plenty of serious topics here and they have been treated accordingly by the members without too many problems. While I do agree that certain rules and policies could use a tweak, I do not think the general feel of the forums needs to change.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FlynnCoyote said:

The nature of the fandom tends to be more accepting of weirdness. It's only natural that a forum based on the fandom will be the same. Trying to make it otherwise would be a futile waste of time, however hilarious it might be.

Telling people to contain their weirdness just shows you lack a sense of humour, or are trying to take yourself or the forums too seriously. There have been plenty of serious topics here and they have been treated accordingly by the members without too many problems. While I do agree that certain rules and policies could use a tweak, I do not think the general feel of the forums needs to change.

Still, like ArielMT said, there is a difference between weird and gross. 

But I totally agree on the rest of it. We don't need reform. I just wonder sometimes if the forum will be able to sustain itself over time, with such a seemingly small number of members actually sticking it out. (damn your dirty minds)

1 minute ago, Endless/Nameless said:

Yeah kinda sorta but when topics delve into discussing which gay sex positions would make for the least touching-of-balls, that subjectivity becomes significantly smaller. 

I understand the gist of what you're getting at, but with more obscure subject matters it's going to be a lot more difficult and unreasonable to expect everyone to know where the line stops. Especially with fetishes that don't actually involve anything sexual by default.

People will be weirded out, people will be grossed out, people will be both at once. The thing we have to keep in mind is that it's not worth taking seriously, it's not worth getting upset over but the line is worth being reminded  of now and then.

Just now, FlynnCoyote said:

I understand the gist of what you're getting at, but with more obscure subject matters it's going to be a lot more difficult and unreasonable to expect everyone to know where the line stops. Especially with fetishes that don't actually involve anything sexual by default.

People will be weirded out, people will be grossed out, people will be both at once. The thing we have to keep in mind is that it's not worth taking seriously, it's not worth getting upset over but the line is worth being reminded  of now and then.

Yes, I completely agree. 

• Like 1