Passover!

AshleyAshes

I'm not Jewish but Passover means Passover Coke.  For those not in the know, some Jewish sects do not consume corn during Passover, so Passover coke is made with cane or beet sugar rather than High Fructose Corn Syrup but it's way cheaper than Mexican Coke.  (Well, it's expensive to get Mexican Coke in Canada).  Gunna save these for when friends are over. :D

passover.jpg

Edited by AshleyAshes

13 hours ago, Käpt'n said:

Finally! Something religion is actually useful for! O_O

But I find it interesting that they actually make a different kind of coke for that time of the year.

My understanding is that while Coca-Cola is certified Kosher (Every can has a Kosher mark on it, the Nazi's took some issues with this, yadda yadda yadda, now Fanta is a thing!) but Coca-Cola was a popular drink for children during Passover in place of whine, there were concerns as to weather it was suitable for Jews during Passover and some pressure was applied, and now Coca-Cola cooperates to have Passover certified products available in some markets.  That said, you couldn't get this at EVERY store in Toronto, it'd be at big box Grocery stores that accommodate the Jewish faith and smaller stores in Jewish communities.  I'm surrounded by synagogues so yeah.  Also makes for a very quiet neighborhood. :)

9 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

My understanding is that while Coca-Cola is certified Kosher (Every can has a Kosher mark on it, the Nazi's took some issues with this, yadda yadda yadda, now Fanta is a thing!) but Coca-Cola was a popular drink for children during Passover in place of whine, there were concerns as to weather it was suitable for Jews during Passover and some pressure was applied, and now Coca-Cola cooperates to have Passover certified products available in some markets.  That said, you couldn't get this at EVERY store in Toronto, it'd be at big box Grocery stores that accommodate the Jewish faith and smaller stores in Jewish communities.  I'm surrounded by synagogues so yeah.  Also makes for a very quiet neighborhood. :)

In my country children still drink whine. :3 If they have been very good.

It's a bit nutty that, believing that they are the chosen people of the creator of the universe, that they believe he would give a toss about what kind of soda they drink, but there you go. 

24 minutes ago, Saxon said:

In my country children still drink whine. :3 If they have been very good.

It's a bit nutty that, believing that they are the chosen people of the creator of the universe, that they believe he would give a toss about what kind of soda they drink, but there you go. 

I'm more curious as to how corn isn't acceptable for passover when corn is a new world food that wasn't introduced to the old world until looking after their religious texts were set in stone.

11 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I'm more curious as to how corn isn't acceptable for passover when corn is a new world food that wasn't introduced to the old world until looking after their religious texts were set in stone.

I suspect the Tora forbids consumption of cereals over passover, or something to that effect. So corn would be included in that category. 

I think the idea is meant to be a bit of self-sacrifice to commemorate and reenact the plight of Jewish slaves who fled during the plagues of Egypt, in which the Jewish god besotted the Egyptians  with various nasties and murdered their innocent first born sons O_o , so I doubt the idea behind the passover is actually very relevant given that they're guzzling coke. 

Edited by Saxon