How do I get motivated to study?

Alexxx-Returns

I need to study. I have a literal mountain of studying to do and if I don't get it finished before the holiday is over I'll fail my degree.

I can't get motivated to study. Whenever I think about it I just... go numb and force myself to do something else. I don't know what my problem is this time. I had no problem studying last time around. I mean... it's even really fun when I get motivated to DO it. But when I get motivated to it's like 1AM and I have to be in bed soon.

Anyone got any tips for getting motivated and staying motivated and not being distracted? I tried going out to my car for the day to study but I spent more time coming in the house to pee than I did studying. And Dad kept locking the door so I had to wait to be let in every time.

• Like 2

If it's the internet or video games distracting you, turn off the computer. If you need to, pack it up for the rest of the semester. Print off any digital stuff you need, handwrite your notes and drafts, and type up any final copies in your school's library/computer lab.

Sit down right now, this minute, and organize your reading and deadlines on a calendar. Write out a calendar on lined paper if you don't have one. Tape this up in plain view above your workspace as a constant reminder of what's coming. Now set out what you can realistically get done today, tomorrow, the rest of the week in order to make those deadlines. Then get cracking.

tl;dr: remove unnecessary distractions from your life, organize and manage your time, set small daily goals, put in the work.

• Like 1

I don't know the solution, but I sure can relate.

During my last stretch of high school, I'd sit down, look at my math assignment....

30 minutes later I'd realize I was still staring at it blankly.

I knew perfectly well what to do, I just couldn't bring myself to get in that box.

You can lead the brain to school but you can't make it think.

36 minutes ago, Pignog said:

If it's the internet or video games distracting you, turn off the computer. If you need to, pack it up for the rest of the semester. Print off any digital stuff you need, handwrite your notes and drafts, and type up any final copies in your school's library/computer lab.

Sit down right now, this minute, and organize your reading and deadlines on a calendar. Write out a calendar on lined paper if you don't have one. Tape this up in plain view above your workspace as a constant reminder of what's coming. Now set out what you can realistically get done today, tomorrow, the rest of the week in order to make those deadlines. Then get cracking.

tl;dr: remove unnecessary distractions from your life, organize and manage your time, set small daily goals, put in the work.

I'm gonna do this. Especially the deadline bit. I need to have that exam pressure hanging over me. We don't have that on this degree, only finals. I'm not used to that.

14 minutes ago, Endless/Nameless said:

I don't know the solution, but I sure can relate.

During my last stretch of high school, I'd sit down, look at my math assignment....

30 minutes later I'd realize I was still staring at it blankly.

I knew perfectly well what to do, I just couldn't bring myself to get in that box.

You can lead the brain to school but you can't make it think.

See my brain can think but it just doesn't wanna go to school. I gotta tie a leash to it and drag it and even then it's taken like 10 hours to even pick up my tablet and get started.

• Like 1

Oh! One thing that helps is forcing yourself to wear 'outside' clothes. You get up at around noon or so, take a shower, eat a good brekkie with coffee, then put on outsidetm clothes. Even shoes. Sit yourself at the dining room table, or at a cafe or library nearby, and work. Music that doesn't have singing in it helps. Classical, instrumental, the dub of step. What have you. 

Other general advice to stay sane so you don't burn out: Make some time for exercise and socializing with friends (I realise this can be really hard if you're also holding down a job while in university). Eat a nutritious diet, avoid energy drinks and junk food. Also get enough sleep and avoid all-nighters (again easier said than done come crunch time). Think of an overnight study session as borrowing time from your future self at a terrible cost; 8 hours in a sleep deprived state is going to be less productive than 8 hours fresh. All of these things sound obvious but they really will improve your performance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlynnCoyote said:

Just think of the words on the pages as poisonous king cobras. If you take your eyes away from them, they'll kill you.

That's how you become mentally ill. 

Not how you study. 

If you even do this once in your life and then do shrooms you will run into traffic and die. 

Actually just put yourself in a room alone with nothing but your study materials, no phone, no computer, maybe a watch or clock and some food. Eventually even studying will appeal more than staring vacantly into space. I have a serious problem with this too. If you need to have a computer, straight up disable your wifi. Don't even give yourself the opportunity to be distracted, because if you're anything like me you'll always take it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zaraphayx said:

Remind yourself that your entire future hinges on your ability to read and comprehend things now unless you want to work a job where you wear a name-tag and dorky uniform for the rest of your life.

That's just paid cosplay for losers. 

• Like 1