fandoms

Vallium

Here's a short ramble that would be apt for the things we dont understand thread

A lot of people seem to have a strong hatred for fandoms, or the idea of fandoms, or specific fandoms

And for anyone like that here that'd be pretty hypocritical, seeing as this is the furry fan-dumb

I mean, all it is is a community of people surrounding a particular interest in one subject. Together with everyone collaborating you get art, jokes, memes, stories, gatherings, and the like. Creativity abounds. 

I guess apparently these people can get obnoxious? Well...I guess anyone with niche interest can be. But again, blaming an entire community for an obnoxious few kind of ruins the fun of the entire thing.

I can see why it'd be even more annoying if youre an outsider that isnt part of it, especially if you have a displeasure for the subject scores of people fawn over

Anyways, the entire concept of fandoms is fun. Seems a bit bitter and grumpy to get mad about the whole thing

• Like 2

When people hate on their own fandom there is probably a good reason for it. It's natural to become somewhat jaded about certain aspects over time and it's usually by those that are aware that an issue exists and is not being dealt with accordingly.  

over the years I've really started to limit my interaction with fandoms tbh. I like doing fandom related things and interacting with people on occasion, but I'm not as into as I used to be a few years ago. this is partially because I've seen a lot of really stupid shit happen because of fandoms. a lot of arguing over stuff that, in retrospect, doesn't really matter that much. it's not as fun as it used to be. so I just don't get involved that much

that being said, I don't think fandoms are inherently bad, but I also feel that fandoms garner the reputations they do because of how people treat others who aren't associated with their group. or even some who are :/

Edited by willow
  • Like 5

There is no such thing as a pure fandom.

34 minutes ago, Endless/Nameless said:

The fandomers ruined Undertale for me.

raw

It's the the pastimers vs the lifestylers.

I can't even finish Undertale because I can't stand the sight of it anymore

Fandoms are a bittersweet relationship. People love fandoms because common interests and such, but all fandoms are full of idiots, that's just a sad fact of life.

I've been through enough of them to see fandoms in their prime and at their absolute worst, and all I can say is, don't let the fandom dictate how you feel about the source material. Yeah, sometimes the fandom is annoying, they make public embarrassments of themselves, and are just overall unpleasant, but if there's one thing I've learned is that the fandom can rarely ruin the source material. So I don't believe in that "the fandom ruined X for me" because chances are they've done nothing to the source material, you just let the fuckos in the fandom get to you.

Just tune em out and enjoy your shit. That's how I still remain in this shitty fandom.

• Like 1

Being a fan of something is great.

Where fandom becomes dicey and potentially unhealthy in my book is when your identity largely revolves around a single movie, TV show, book, comic, or franchise.

When your identity revolves so much around that movie, TV show, book, comic, or franchise that you're actually willing to attack people for their opinions on it or go to war with another fanbase, you've officially crossed the event horizon of sanity.

I steer clear of a lot of "fandoms" because of how tribalistic and monomaniacal people get about the thing they enjoy.

• Like 1

@TrojMonomaniacal... that's a good way of putting it.

I tend to be put off by fandoms that rely heavily on a canon of work. The real draw for me are the possibilities, implications, personality conflicts, storytelling, design, etc. Memorizing and reciting obscure factoids, which are so central to most fandoms, doesn't do much for me. I've always been more interested in using my imagination and playing with ideas.

The freedom to be different, or at least not tied down by another person's script, is one thing I like about the furry fandom. Although some appear to be trying to establish a furry canon, the creative DIY spirit lives on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xaende said:

@TrojMonomaniacal... that's a good way of putting it.

I tend to be put off by fandoms that rely heavily on a canon of work. The real draw for me are the possibilities, implications, personality conflicts, storytelling, design, etc. Memorizing and reciting obscure factoids, which are so central to most fandoms, doesn't do much for me. I've always been more interested in using my imagination and playing with ideas.

The freedom to be different, or at least not tied down by another person's script, is one thing I like about the furry fandom. Although some appear to be trying to establish a furry canon, the creative DIY spirit lives on.

I enjoy the treasure trove of shared jokes, memes, tropes, and references that come from having consumed various types of media. I also enjoy exploring the ideas and themes in these stories, and discussing their cultural significance and impact.

But, I notice that I don't like to focus on any one thing for too long, because my brain naturally makes connections to other things I've read, seen, heard, or experienced, and so I want to keep moving on to new topics and associations.

My tolerance for reminiscing or rhapsodizing about what Batman did or Fluttershy said that one time is limited---I like a little bit of that--especially as an "opener" with a new person--but a little of that goes a long way, and I lose interest after a while.

I notice that I don't possess a strong desire to express my fandom enthusiasm or fandom identity through consumption--that is, I don't feel the need to have MLP plushies, Deadpool shirts, or a Batman throw rug. I have a few items of furry swag, but I don't even feel the need to consume or buy ALL OF THE FURRY THINGS. I can like things without having to collect or own all of the swag associated with them.

• Like 1