Wii U emulation is making amazing progress

TrishaCat

Cemu 1.50 released yesterday to the public and people are already testing it with amazing results.

Twilight Princess HD for example is fully playable at this point, and it runs at full speed most of the time.

And Super Mario 3D World:

This is really starting to look like it'll be the next Dolphin with regards to how well it emulates games, too! 

I really like following emulation progress as emulators get updated because its really interesting to see how games go from extremely buggy/not playing at all to working almost like an original console. There's so much work that goes into making emulators that seeing them progress is somewhat enlightening as to what sort of progress is being made. Seeing increased fixes in lighting, more things properly showing on screen, less framerate drops, etc. is just wonderful. And I love the idea of emulation, as it helps increase the longevity of older games to keep them alive forever. Anyone else think this progress is really cool? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Imperial Impact said:

why the fuck would you download Twilight Princess?

>download

People could just rip it from their own Wii U copies. No need to pirate it. (I don't want people to confuse emulation with piracy)

Also because Twilight Princess is the best 3D Zelda. Not to mention Twilight Princess HD means HD MIDNA

9 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

>download

People could just rip it from their own Wii U copies. No need to pirate it. (I don't want people to confuse emulation with piracy)

Also because Twilight Princess is the best 3D Zelda. Not to mention Twilight Princess HD means HD MIDNA

So you can experience the disappointment of 2006?

8 minutes ago, Imperial Impact said:

So you can experience the disappointment of 2006?

I didn't have internet back then so I had no ability to be disappointed. Just went to the store one day and saw Twilight Princess on the shelf.

I imagine it must've been disappointing for people who got hyped by the E3 trailer though.

I liked TP's dungeons a lot. Arbiter's Grounds and Snowpeak were really well built and unique dungeons, and the items you got in them were very different from the usual Zelda fare items. I loved the ball and chain. Its a shame the spinner wasn't used as much as it could have, but it was at least neat in idea and there were a few optional places in Hyrule where it came in handy. Plus I found the character focus of TP to be impressive. Was nice having a sidekick with a personality for a change. Midna's got that sass and yet she grows to care for the Hyrule she claims to hate as time passes. Then there's the relationship between Link and Colin and how he idolizes Link....That stuff was cool in my opinion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

I didn't have internet back then so I had no ability to be disappointed. Just went to the store one day and saw Twilight Princess on the shelf.

I imagine it must've been disappointing for people who got hyped by the E3 trailer though.

Awful games that came out 2006

New Super Mario Bros. DS

Sonic 2006

Zelda TP

Final Fantasy 12

Tales of the Abyss

Tales of Phantasia GBA

WEW LAD

• 3 months later...

What's with Nintendo and having all their consoles being (relatively) super easy to emulate? I mean the original Xbox is fucked in terms of emulation 15 years after its release, yet the Wii U already has one game near-perfect in less than 5.

Not that I'm complaining, I'm always gonna need my Ninty fix.

7 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

Holy shit.

its been 3 months

3 MONTHS and WW HD has gone from massive lag to nearly always fullspeed.

inb4 Xenoblade Chronicles X and Bayonetta 2 are fully playable on CEMU by early next year. Or maybe Decaf will overtake it, as apparently there are two Wii U emulators now.

2 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

What's with Nintendo and having all their consoles being (relatively) super easy to emulate? I mean the original Xbox is fucked in terms of emulation 15 years after its release, yet the Wii U already has one game near-perfect in less than 5.

Well, not all of them. N64 emulation is still pretty screwy.

• 2 months later...

Well folks, this is it.

We're finally here:

(this second video had sound issues so sound was turned off)

Obviously not perfect but now even games like XBX and Bayo 2 are playable at fullspeed.

by early next year

I was apparently not generous enough.

New prediction: These games will be running perfectly before New Year's.

4 minutes ago, Imperial Impact said:

I miss XCX

Being the kind of game it is, I'd expect it has lots of content beyond the main story. Why not go back and play it some more? Or perhaps restart and play a new game with a new character?

Just now, LazerMaster5 said:

Or if you want, I could emulate Star Fox Assault for the GCN instead.

I would say to emulate Star Fox Command, but I already have a physical copy.

Naw, play what you want. I just can't help but to jab at major disappointments.

I also had an excuse to post that picture. y;

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Mr. L said:

WiiU wmulation making suck progress is NOT a good thing. It's pirate heaven. And a lot of people become pirates when it's easy. At some point it'll happen and not matter like in 5 years but for now it's eh

The Wii U has ceased production and is soon to be replaced. Piracy is going to be less and less of an issue as sales for it become more and more a non-issue for Nintendo.

Furthermore, emulation does not equate to piracy. One could use their Wii U to rip their own Wii U games and then emulate them. There are even measures in place for Cemu to help push this. Additionally, emulation is important for preserving video games. Consoles don't always have backwards compatibility and lose support over time. Sometimes licensing issues hurt re-releases or its just too expensive or something. While not a Nintendo title, an example of this is the game "Scott Pilgrim vs the World: The Game". This game was a pretty good beatemup, and its no longer sold anywhere. It was on the Xbox 360 and PS3. Thanks to emulation efforts, that game is not lost and can still be played today thanks to the work of RPCS3 and Xenia developers.

• Like 1

tbqh, I like emulation because it means I don't have to spend a shit tonne of money trying to buy the console I have no TV to play it on :D

I wonder about the 3DS emulator... last time I watched it (which was a few months ago), it wasn't making nearly as great progress as the WiiU one. (Indeed, DS emulators for me are still borken sometimes, while epsxe, Dolphin and PCSX2 work fine.)

Just now, FenrirDarkWolf said:

I wonder about the 3DS emulator... last time I watched it (which was a few months ago), it wasn't making nearly as great progress as the WiiU one. (Indeed, DS emulators for me are still borken sometimes, while epsxe, Dolphin and PCSX2 work fine.)

Not too long ago, Citra developers added something to their emulator to make most games run significantly faster. Its not perfect and still is making slow progress, but Citra is coming along.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Battlechili said:

The Wii U has ceased production and is soon to be replaced. Piracy is going to be less and less of an issue as sales for it become more and more a non-issue for Nintendo.

Furthermore, emulation does not equate to piracy. One could use their Wii U to rip their own Wii U games and then emulate them. There are even measures in place for Cemu to help push this. Additionally, emulation is important for preserving video games. Consoles don't always have backwards compatibility and lose support over time. Sometimes licensing issues hurt re-releases or its just too expensive or something. While not a Nintendo title, an example of this is the game "Scott Pilgrim vs the World: The Game". This game was a pretty good beatemup, and its no longer sold anywhere. It was on the Xbox 360 and PS3. Thanks to emulation efforts, that game is not lost and can still be played today thanks to the work of RPCS3 and Xenia developers.

Okay that makes sense. Yes ai understand a need for emulating otherwise there'd be so much less experience of great ilder games, and my favourite mods of like mario 64 and the kaizo mario world. Plus my favourite game Melee would barely exist withiut emulation. I just thought it was too soom but your points make sense. All I cared is that nintendo didnt lose profit, and since they stopped producing they wont be making 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr. L said:

Okay that makes sense. Yes ai understand a need for emulating otherwise there'd be so much less experience of great ilder games, and my favourite mods of like mario 64 and the kaizo mario world. Plus my favourite game Melee would barely exist withiut emulation. I just thought it was too soom but your points make sense. All I cared is that nintendo didnt lose profit, and since they stopped producing they wont be making 

Nintendo's already going to lose profit anyway from their stupid business practices anyway.

I'm still salty about what they did to rareware.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LadyRadarEars said:

Nintendo's already going to lose profit anyway from their stupid business practices anyway.

As much as I agree, I think there's a possibility that Nintendo knew something about Rareware that we didn't. It just makes no sense why they would sell off one of their best developers unless there was some predictable outcome like Rareware showing signs of weakening due to internal conflicts or something. I know Microsoft put a vice grip on their balls after acquiring them, but I have a feeling something fishy was going on beforehand.

Or maybe it's plausible that Nintendo was so pissed off about the release of Conker's BFD that they got rid of the company out of resentment...

10 hours ago, Battlechili said:

Not quite. Nintendo is known for milking their older games by re-releasing them for each of their new systems. There's also the Virtual Console, or eShop, whatever it is now.

9 minutes ago, Socketosis said:

As much as I agree, I think there's a possibility that Nintendo knew something about Rareware that we didn't. It just makes no sense why they would sell off one of their best developers unless there was some predictable outcome like Rareware showing signs of weakening due to internal conflicts or something. I know Microsoft put a vice grip on their balls after acquiring them, but I have a feeling something fishy was going on beforehand.

Or maybe it's plausible that Nintendo was so pissed off about the release of Conker's BFD that they got rid of the company out of resentment...

Not quite. Nintendo is known for milking their older games by re-releasing them for each of their new systems. There's also the Virtual Console, or eShop, whatever it is now.

Third party devs have been fleeing them for a while now, because they have such strict requirements (usually forcing devs to go along with whatever gimmick they're testing on the new console/handheld at the moment, even if the game itself would suffer for it.) Rareware wasn't doing anything fishy, Nintendo just cut ties with them, and made sure they couldn't take any new IPs with them from upcoming games they were developing (like star fox adventures, which was originally going to be a rareware IP on n64, which nintendo contract-bullied them into making it for the gamecube and making it a star fox game.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LadyRadarEars said:

Isn't that Microsoft's fault?

They don't do this with everything, however.

On 11/28/2016 at 10:11 AM, Socketosis said:

*slides in* they didnt sell em off

RARE at the time was a THIRD party, they expected Nintendo would buy them to make them FIRST party for all the stuff they did for them...it didnt happen.
Microsoft saw this and bought them up as they saw potential of RARE, this is why when RARE became part of Microsoft the only thing they took with em was Conker and Banjo and Kazooie as those are their IPs

Folks gotta remember: Nintendo gave VERY LITTLE FUCKS for third parties back then

though they end up realizing they cant rely always on their first parties or even second parties  to make games, they gotta let those third folks in. Though it still down that first parties belonging to a console tend to not make games for rivals.

37 minutes ago, Deskai said:

*slides in* they didnt sell em off

RARE at the time was a THIRD party, they expected Nintendo would buy them to make them FIRST party for all the stuff they did for them...it didnt happen.
Microsoft saw this and bought them up as they saw potential of RARE, this is why when RARE became part of Microsoft the only thing they took with em was Conker and Banjo and Kazooie as those are their IPs

Folks gotta remember: Nintendo gave VERY LITTLE FUCKS for third parties back then

though they end up realizing they cant rely always on their first parties or even second parties  to make games, they gotta let those third folks in. Though it still down that first parties belonging to a console tend to not make games for rivals.

Actually:

"Rare became a prominent second-party developer for Nintendo, who came to own a large minority stake of the company. During this period, Rare received international recognition and critical acclaim for games such as Donkey Kong Country, GoldenEye 007, Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, and Conker's Bad Fur Day." - Wikipedia