An Overwatch Thread

Onnes

On 9/1/2016 at 5:14 PM, Gamedog said:

Where is she in pic

The wiki doesn't know http://overwatch.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Female

but there are other disagreements

1 hour ago, Taikugemu said:

If there's something I hate about ranked, it's that people feel entitled to say what you should pick, and if you don't, they'll fucking harass you till the end of the game.

That's when they can shut up and learn to deal with different styles, dawg.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Taikugemu said:

If there's something I hate about ranked, it's that people feel entitled to say what you should pick, and if you don't, they'll fucking harass you till the end of the game.

I played Mercy before the latest patch.

Just saying.

9 hours ago, Punnchy said:

The wiki doesn't know http://overwatch.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Female

but there are other disagreements

That's when they can shut up and learn to deal with different styles, dawg.

Maybe you can learn to deal with my sense of humor, dawg :^)

23 hours ago, XoPachi said:

I never used McCree a day in my life until just now. Oh my fucking god... O-O;

McCree is so good. I need to get better as him in the event I can't play healer. Right now the only offense heroes I'm decent at are Reaper and Soldier:76.

14 hours ago, Deskai said:

When you know you are going to play another full season as a dedicated healer cause NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY HEALER IT SEEMS

If you're playing on PC, a few of us play together every evening. You're welcome to join us.

Just now, Eggdodger said:

McCree is so good. I need to get better as him in the event I can't play healer. Right now the only offense heroes I'm decent at are Reaper and Soldier:76.

It's hilarious just...assassinating people. I was confused on how to flank people on King's Row with him and I just saw a Pharah at half health attacking my boy in the distance
*PSHEW*
DEAD
One fucking shot in the back. I can't recall if it was just a headshot, but I didn't expect the damage at that distance.

Also, am I the only one who feels Pharah should just have the most health of the offense crowd? Like sensibly...look at her. She's African Samus. But she has as much health as a support. haha

6 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

It's hilarious just...assassinating people. I was confused on how to flank people on King's Row with him and I just saw a Pharah at half health attacking my boy in the distance
*PSHEW*
DEAD
One fucking shot in the back. I can't recall if it was just a headshot, but I didn't expect the damage at that distance.

Also, am I the only one who feels Pharah should just have the most health of the offense crowd? Like sensibly...look at her. She's African Samus. But she has as much health as a support. haha

No, a lot of people would actually agree that she needs more health. She's wearing full body armor and has no maneuverability or cover in the air.

McCree does 70 damage per shot and 140 per headshot. The damage falls off starting at 20 meters. It used to be twice that and people complained that McCree was the third sniper character (this was before Ana obviously). He actually plays best by his team/on the objective due to his consistent damage at range and his ability to shut down flankers. Supports will love you.

9 minutes ago, Eggdodger said:

No, a lot of people would actually agree that she needs more health. She's wearing full body armor and has no maneuverability or cover in the air.

McCree does 70 damage per shot and 140 per headshot. The damage falls off starting at 20 meters. It used to be twice that and people complained that McCree was the third sniper character (this was before Ana obviously). He actually plays best by his team/on the objective due to his consistent damage at range and his ability to shut down flankers. Supports will love you.

I went 20-9 my first game with him. Granted I do a lot of quickplay because I don't have much patience for League length matches and don't care to take Overwatch seriously. But still. And yeah. I noticed that he's good for supports to stop the likes of Genji and Tracer etc from picking them off. McCree and Reaper are my go to when I want to defend a Zennie or Ana. I also use McCree to pick off Mercy's (because people still...play her. lol).

• Like 1

You're not gonna get League-length matches even if a KOTH game goes 2-2, trust me. You're gonna have a match that's half the length of a normal League game at most.

Mercy did just get buffed, and she can now consistently outheal a Lucio. All she needed was a 20% increase to her heal rate.

25 minutes ago, Eggdodger said:

You're not gonna get League-length matches even if a KOTH game goes 2-2, trust me. You're gonna have a match that's half the length of a normal League game at most.

Mercy did just get buffed, and she can now consistently outheal a Lucio. All she needed was a 20% increase to her heal rate.

Naw. I played ranked before and I used to play League back in the day. I'm aware long matches in League could be 40-60 minutes, but most of mine were 20-30 and that's about as long as a lot of my OW ranked matches take. I'm not really about it.

I'd say McCree is the hero for pro players. My first game with McCree was 29-1. I have only lost 1 game ever when I play as McCree. I think the best I've ever done was 53-0. 9 out of 10 games where I'm going try hard with him some players on the other team leave. Mercy's damage boost is broken with McCree. I've been able to do 2vs5 and win with that combo. The only heroes that I struggle fighting against are Reinhardt and Roadhog but other heroes can stop them easily. I would recommend getting better at McCree if you can because all it takes is a good McCree to carry the whole team.

All we need now is a McCree skin with a backpack and Overwatch will be game of the century.

I love the salty rage when I play Bastion. Like he's at all difficult to stop by himself out in the open. He's not the most skillful and I'd say a nerf is fair, but there's worse.
Put him to sleep with Ana. Block him with Mei. Approach with Genji. Not even anything special, HIT E with Genji. Yeah, you can just not shoot, but that'll leave him open to an attack from him. Snipe him. Stun him with McCree. Sneak up and hook him with Roadhog. And the novel concept of you know, actually talking with your team makes him easy to deal with if you come up with a strategy.

I don't understand how people are so terrible at this game that they can't think of some way to stop Bastion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glowing Glass said:

I'd say McCree is the hero for pro players. My first game with McCree was 29-1. I have only lost 1 game ever when I play as McCree. I think the best I've ever done was 53-0. 9 out of 10 games where I'm going try hard with him some players on the other team leave. Mercy's damage boost is broken with McCree. I've been able to do 2vs5 and win with that combo. The only heroes that I struggle fighting against are Reinhardt and Roadhog but other heroes can stop them easily. I would recommend getting better at McCree if you can because all it takes is a good McCree to carry the whole team.

All we need now is a McCree skin with a backpack and Overwatch will be game of the century.

Your very first game? Wow, I would say you must have practiced a ton, but in fact you must have born with innate FPS abilities. You might be the first in a long line of supersoldiers in the cyber battleground. The military has likely looked at your K:D metrics and considered using your genes to create the ultimate warriors with superior reflexes and agility, as long as the task involves moving their hand a couple inches or less, or pressing a button really quickly.

Or this might be an exaggeration idk. The attitude of "carrying the whole team" doesn't lend itself well to a team-based, objective-based game where games are won and lost on strategy, team cohesion, composition and callouts rather than sikk fragz alone. I honestly hope McCree doesn't become the new Genji.

EDIT: fa9e55e4e4.png

bruh you ain't even played McCree

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Eggdodger said:

EDIT: fa9e55e4e4.png

bruh you ain't even played McCree

My stats aren't being tracked. Fucking great thanks for telling me. Now I'm going to spam blizzard asking them to fix my stats but they probably won't anyways. 

Side note: Yeah I was always good at FPS games. I've been playing them for 8 years, starting out playing the halo games. I attempted a tournament once and got far then got rekt near the end. To me overwatch even in competitive mode seems easy. I treat a 10 kd in over watch as a 1 kd in basically all other games.

Maybe I'll try another tournament someday.

the only thing ranked did was take out the serious players out of quick play

it also makes Quick play take longer to get a match set up for me.

takes about 25 seconds for a rank, 1 minute and 10 seconds for a quick play

but then again I work a night shift job so most of my folks I'm playing with are folks who either just got off work or doing a bit of gaming before work

8 hours ago, Deskai said:

the only thing ranked did was take out the serious players out of quick play

it also makes Quick play take longer to get a match set up for me.

takes about 25 seconds for a rank, 1 minute and 10 seconds for a quick play

but then again I work a night shift job so most of my folks I'm playing with are folks who either just got off work or doing a bit of gaming before work

Not necessarily. @Onnes , @Newt and I can tell you that there are a lot of goofballs in Competitive, too. It's no respite from Quick Play. This can only lead me to the conclusion that the majority of the playerbase is stupid. Except for me. I'm pretty bright, in my humble opinion.

To put competitive games in perspective: roughly 90% of the playerbase currently resides between 2000 and 3000 SR. A team's SR is the average SR of each of its members, so when forming teams a low SR player will usually be offset by a high SR player. The end result of this player distribution and matchmaking is that literally any other Overwatch player can end up in your competitive game because there's little SR differentiation and the matchmaking algorithm is fairly greedy.

• Like 1

>plays lucio
>team keeps on running off in different directions
>no one defends me thus I end up being brutally murdered
>team blames me
>game over, only one on my team to get a card 17k of healing
>other team is like "wow, bad day?"
"No...bad week of a 8 game lose streak...cause no one cares about their medics anymore...we lost to a team that HAD AN ANA AS THEIR ONLY MEDIC..."

3 hours ago, Onnes said:

To put competitive games in perspective: roughly 90% of the playerbase currently resides between 2000 and 3000 SR. A team's SR is the average SR of each of its members, so when forming teams a low SR player will usually be offset by a high SR player. The end result of this player distribution and matchmaking is that literally any other Overwatch player can end up in your competitive game because there's little SR differentiation and the matchmaking algorithm is fairly greedy.

In what I'm sure is a complete coincidence, you have to be within 1000 SR to play with your friend of a different rank... something that will never be an issue as long as the bell curve is as thick as a blade of grass. I feel like they could allow much more drastic allocations in placement (ergo granting a larger standard deviation and wider distribution as a result) and still account for the fringe players that are exceedingly good or bad. If Blizzard disagrees, they could scale skill from a range larger than 0-5000. I don't care if they make 10 more tiers to do it. I just want rank to mean something (which is what this season was supposed to address). I hope that Blizzard is collecting enough data to make an algorithm that allows a Normalized distribution that spans the entire range of SR.

Let me put it like this: do you know anybody, anybody who is Silver or Bronze? Say they wanted to Normalize the Elo system (and any competent Elo system will fall under a Normal distribution spanning the breadth of its available ranks). If a standard deviation were equivalent to, say, 500 SR, and the center of the distribution were at 2500 SR, around 16% of players should be Silver or below (Bronze spans 0-1500 SR). 16% would be Diamond, Master or Grandmaster. Only .1% of players would be Grand Master, so maybe they would slightly increase the standard deviation to increase the amount of people in that tier (or leave it as is, seeing as that is a prestigious rank already, and the Top 500 shows they like giving skilled players bragging rights.) Ideally, the middling 68.2% of players would be Gold and Platinum. A good majority of players could still play with each other and change nothing except making one's ranking more meaningful. If you were in Diamond, you would be in the top 16% of players. That would mean something.

Of course, this is going to be very hard to actualize so long as we still have a system that arbitrarily assigns additional ranking points based on "individual performance"... They need to nix that, and once the Elo system has some resemblance of one they can tighten the limit on compatible SRs for premades. There is no earthly reason a Master should be able to play with a Gold ranking player.

1 hour ago, Taikugemu said:

>Buuh Ana fucking sucks.
>Is literally the best healer of the match.

I swear, I love playing as grandma, but my teams really don't help, screaming "CHANGE" even if my heals are saving the asses.

There's always a scapegoat. Always.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Taikugemu said:

>Buuh Ana fucking sucks.
>Is literally the best healer of the match.

I swear, I love playing as grandma, but my teams really don't help, screaming "CHANGE" even if my heals are saving the asses.

I respect ana as a healer cause she can also double as a sniper or be heavily dedicated to shutting down ults which in my last match the enemy ana was shutting down ults but doing a crap job of healing their team.

Can Blizzard make a brawl where you can only say nice things to the other players? It filters out all bad words, insults, and negative words so that you can only be friendly in the chat.

Team voice chat is also absent in this brawl because otherwise people might say mean things through that.

We'll call it "Happy Thoughts". It would be an interesting experiment to see if people would play along or just try harder to get something through the cracks.

1 minute ago, Lucyfish said:

I feel like Winston is an incredibly underrated character. A good Winston can make a huge difference, attacking or defending.

He would be better if they made his peanut butter emote loop until you cancel it. I want to be able to eat peanut butter off my two gorilla fingers without throwing a whole jar away to do it.

14 minutes ago, Eggdodger said:

I know, right???

At least he doesn't throw away his Tesla cannon when it runs out of juice and pull out a new one...

My girlfriend was like "Why does Reaper drop his guns after they're empty? I'd chuck them at whoever is in front of me as hard as I can."

Playing Zarya on a bad connection is probably one of the most frustrating things one can do on Overwatch. Applying a shield, seeing it didn't register, and trying again and again.. 

This is why I can only play the piss-simple heroes. I have 20 hours as Lucio because he's the most reliable hero I can play whilst rubber-banding

end my suffering

• Like 1