Rant: My pet is in critical condition.

HoneyPoppins

My sister and I own a Shih Tzu who is 2 years old. She's been a pain in the butt for 2 years but also a source of love and affection. I just found out this morning that she's been rushed to the vet because my sister saw her urinating blood. I don't know what the cause is but my sister texted me she's in a critical state. I'm hoping it's something we can fix. My biggest fear is that we have to put her down due to this. I'm so anxious right now and I don't know how to deal with this. She's the first pet we didn't have to give away and because of this I never dealt with a pet that's been in such a critical state. 

I just need some advice or reassurance. I feel like I'm losing a child. 

20 minutes ago, Nova said:

Did your dog ate chicken bones or something like that?

Chicken bones can damage the insides of a dog.

It was none of that. The vet says it might be a kidney stone or a tumor. No proper diagnosis yet. I'm really hoping it's a kidney stone. 

My sympathies. Illness with anybody close to you, even a pet can be really hard. Trust in the doctors, and if I'm honest try not to worry too much. Your worrying won't help, but you could be doing productive things instead, stuff to take your mind off of it.

10 hours ago, HoneyPoppins said:

. She's been a pain in the butt for 2 years but also a source of love and affection. 

This is the most accurate description of raising a shih tzu ive ever heard. I raised one for about...6 or 7 years. Love her and hate her all at the same time. 

Its a terrible thing when a pet is hurt. And if you do have to put her to sleep (heaven forbid), just know itll be your final act of kindness as her parent/family member. 

Hoping she recovers. She's got a better chance since she's young. 

10 hours ago, 6tails said:

Take your dog food to the vet and have them check it over. Plenty of cheap 'health food' stuff for dogs has been malanine-laden crap and it causes this exact symptom.

You're thinking pigmenturia and not hematuria, and people might confuse them but the Vet wouldn't.. I should hope.

8 hours ago, HoneyPoppins said:

It was none of that. The vet says it might be a kidney stone or a tumor. No proper diagnosis yet. I'm really hoping it's a kidney stone. 

Yeah, I was about to ask if she's on dialysis which can get pretty darn expensive.

Hopefully it's a stone, so they ruled out a UTI and acute kidney failure. Have they done an ultrasound?

19 hours ago, Ricky said:

You're thinking pigmenturia and not hematuria, and people might confuse them but the Vet wouldn't.. I should hope.

Yeah, I was about to ask if she's on dialysis which can get pretty darn expensive.

Hopefully it's a stone, so they ruled out a UTI and acute kidney failure. Have they done an ultrasound?

It turned out to be a bladder stone. The recommended a diet that could help break down the stones. Thankfully she passed the more stubborn stones. Currently she's at the vet for observation. She's on dextrose right now and thankful to say she's more active now. Her urine still has a faint red color to it, but drastic improvement compared to the day we admitted her. 

I'm just glad she's still playful regardless of the situation.  

• Like 1

Our old Shih-Tzu (who as since passed on) had a lot of stones too. We were told it's common to the breed. It became so prevalent and problematic, they had to do a surgical bypass allowing him to pee from a slit. People mistook him for a female quite a bit after that, but the hit to his dignity (:V) was well worth the relief from the stones, I'm sure.

My aunt's dog, a black Labrador developed an infection in his paw after falling down the stairs. He was put on antibiotics but they didn't work, and he's still limping everywhere. He's going in for surgery on Monday to have his toe amputated.