Special Report on Sexuality and Gender

Jtrekkie

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/number-50-fall-2016

I guess I'm doing it right. Anyway, misquotations of this report are making the rounds but it remains an enlightening look at the current state of research written for the layman. Probably the most important point here is that there is not yet a rigorous understanding of human sexuality at this time, nor are there the precise definitions of what sexuality or sexual orientation refers to, but there are many lines of research promising greater understanding. In that light past research into the subject should be heavily scrutinized going forward. 

"Editor’s Note: Questions related to sexuality and gender bear on some of the most intimate and personal aspects of human life. In recent years they have also vexed American politics. We offer this report — written by Dr. Lawrence S. Mayer, an epidemiologist trained in psychiatry, and Dr. Paul R. McHugh, arguably the most important American psychiatrist of the last half-century — in the hope of improving public understanding of these questions. Examining research from the biological, psychological, and social sciences, this report shows that some of the most frequently heard claims about sexuality and gender are not supported by scientific evidence. The report has a special focus on the higher rates of mental health problems among LGBT populations, and it questions the scientific basis of trends in the treatment of children who do not identify with their biological sex. More effort is called for to provide these people with the understanding, care, and support they need to lead healthy, flourishing lives."

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

"McHugh, the University Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry at Johns Hopkins Medical School, writes this week that the very idea of transgender identities... is a “meme...”

This is a man I can trust.

"His column, which suggests that this meme is a 'pathogen' destroying society..."

I mean, there are definitely worse memes than transgender people. He should diagnose the Harambe fanatics with a disorder.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eggdodger said:

"His column, which suggests that this meme is a 'pathogen' destroying society..."

I mean, there are definitely worse memes than transgender people. He should diagnose the Harambe fanatics with a disorder.

But we could easily weaponize transgendered people. It's how we're going to stop ISIS.

2 hours ago, Eggdodger said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/harambe-memes-cincinnati-zoo-gorilla-shot-dead-rip-a7203356.html

• Like 1