Rant - Potentially SJW Friend

AyGee

Welp, and I've also been told to "check my privilege" because I didn't toe the line with SJWs and feminists.

I've gotten more skilled at "dialoguing" with them without automatically triggering their alarms, but lots of people still confuse disagreeing with their solution to a problem with disagreeing with them about the problem itself.

Most people have a very black-and-white view of cultural appropriation as it is, so they wrongly assume it's all about keeping Nice Things away from the Mean White Males because they're meanies.

49 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I'm gay myself and was given a talking-down-to because I said that I didn't want university outreach teams to specifically target gay people.

This stuff gets on my nerves.

Gay pandering is also at thing in my town. 

One Christmas there was a christmas tree decorating event/contest, everyone had a theme for their tree. There was a doughnut tree made by a kindergarten class, a tree with flowers made of painted pine cones that was themed "dreaming of spring" all kinds of neat creative trees with backstories and ideas. And then there was a pride tree full of  generic sparkles and rainbow ornaments, it was a garish eyesore that a bunch of local (mostly heterosexual or "bicurious") college kids put together and my well meaning but sometimes ignorant classmates kept nudging me towards THAT tree. "look that's YOUR tree!" and even the people hosting the event had to stop and make sure everyone was aware of the pride tree. Naturally because it was the pride tree it won a prize even so there were obviously better trees with more effort put into their themes and designs. Their justification was that the pride tree deserved to win because gay awareness or whatever. The irony here was that members of the local gay community had not themselves worked on the pride tree, one couple had made their tree a tribute to drama/theater and some others had helped paint pine cone flowers for the spring tree and I can guarantee there were other LGBT members who worked on trees not covered in slapped on rainbows and pictures from pride parades.  

When people found out that I'd voted for the "dreaming of spring" tree (I really liked the story that went with it and I always give points when people put lots of time and effort into a project) and not the pride tree some of them flipped their shit. 

Honestly I'm getting kind of sick of being pandered too and I'm getting tired of people telling me I need to support something because it's LGBT no matter how ugly, shallow or devoid of artistic merit it might be. Cause over quality, ideology over art. Let's go ahead and give a garbage tree the prize because symbolism > creativity.  

I have nothing against Pride Symbolism and the like but I myself do not glitter or sparkle or rainbow in my daily life, not my clothing, my home or even the art I make use those elements enough for me to feel justified casting a vote for a tree covered in all of that. I don't feel like my lack of rainbow colors makes me any less LGBT. If I had been invited to make a tree I would not have made a pride tree, I would have picked a theme that related to one of my passions, music, art, the sea, Krampus, high fantasy, something that reflects me as a person. Which is exactly what most of the LGBT community actually DID DO for this event. But it got over looked because the pride tree was making a statement. There's actually something a little soul crushing about knowing that there's no escaping the rainbow if you're LGBT. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lucyfish said:

It's like, people don't want me to be not racist. They want me to be racist in their favor.

Not being racist is bad, but being racist in favor of black people is good.

It's all so confusing to me.

Because being in favor of black people is what normal people are.