Are you ready for finals week?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Are you ready for finals week?

• Yes!
    • Kind of?
    • Nope
    • I don't have to take those (LOL)

Hey good people,

So I'm wondering who else here has to deal with finals week? What're you studying (or hoping to study)? What class are you most worried about? I'm here at Georgia Institute of Technology, studying nuclear engineering, and I'm honestly most worried about Electromagnetisim, that or Radiation Detection. Shout out to everyone who's dealing with the stress of finals!

201604_1158_fdbfc_sm.jpg

I go to Mississippi State University

Classes I have finals for are:

• Architecture Appreciation
  • Digital Devices
  • Intro to Formal Languages and Automata
  • Calculus II
  • Intro to Logic

I studied a teensy bit for Digital earlier today, as I have an exam at 8AM for it, but I'm guaranteed at least a B in the class regardless of how I do on the final so I'm not too worried. Its weird. Most of my classes are either easy/I'm doing well in, or, in the case of Intro to Formal Languages, I'm doing so poorly in I have little hope of passing. So in most cases I din't feel the need to study much. Because of how weighted the final is, if I make an 80 or higher on my Formal Languages exam, I can still pass the class but....Well, that's just not realistic. Not that I won't try though! I'll still be studying. Unfortunately.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

I go to Mississippi State University

Classes I have finals for are:

• Architecture Appreciation
  • Digital Devices
  • Intro to Formal Languages and Automata
  • Calculus II
  • Intro to Logic

I studied a teensy bit for Digital earlier today, as I have an exam at 8AM for it, but I'm guaranteed at least a B in the class regardless of how I do on the final so I'm not too worried. Its weird. Most of my classes are either easy/I'm doing well in, or, in the case of Intro to Formal Languages, I'm doing so poorly in I have little hope of passing. So in most cases I din't feel the need to study much. Because of how weighted the final is, if I make an 80 or higher on my Formal Languages exam, I can still pass the class but....Well, that's just not realistic. Not that I won't try though! I'll still be studying. Unfortunately.

Ahh, My classes for this semester are.

Radiation Detection

Fluid Mechanics

Electromagnetism

Statistics

Engineering Economics

And I have a class that's called ME4698 that's an audited course for a research position. As of right now I'm bound for at least two A's and two B's. Though Fluid mechanics is right on the edge of a B or C, so hopefully a B. I'm assuming you're a computer science or engineering major there? Also what year are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm a fifth year senior, but I won't be graduating till the spring of 2018. Mostly because I'm getting a second degree in general engineering and a minor in chemistry.

I'm currently pursuing a graduate degree in European history, so no finals for me, just two decently long and research intensive papers.

Specifically, a 15 page research paper on China's role in World War 2 in my East Asian course, and a 12 page historiography paper on the later half of the Chinese Civil War in my Cold War course.

The paper for the Cold War class has the added fun of requiring an Annotated Bibliography, in which the professor has specified he wants every single work we can find on the subject included with a summation of its major arguments, with 20 annotated sources the absolute minimum acceptable...

e-3031023.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Osrik said:

I'm currently pursuing a graduate degree in European history, so no finals for me, just two decently long and research intensive papers.

Specifically, a 15 page research paper on China's role in World War 2 in my East Asian course, and a 12 page historiography paper on the later half of the Chinese Civil War in my Cold War course.

The paper for the Cold War class has the added fun of requiring an Annotated Bibliography, in which the professor has specified he wants every single work we can find on the subject included with a summation of its major arguments, with 20 annotated sources the absolute minimum acceptable...

e-3031023.png

That last bit sounds horrible. Even the research paper that I was a co-author on, that got published in a scientific journal, only had 13 references. I'm still just an undergrad, so I've got 4 finals this semester, so lot's of fun :(. I've already started the process of severely lacking sleep Ha! So where do you go to grad school at? How difficult is grad school compared to undergrad? Going for your masters or PhD? Lastly what'd you want to do with a degree in European History?

4 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

I work at a university library, so I get to help all those preparing for them, as well as papers, and watch from a safe distance!

Ahhh, that must be an interesting job. I knew a couple of students that worked at my previous college's library. There were a few horror stories of them walking in on people in the back sections late at night doing things (exactly what you'd think). What major do you see the most of? Also what's your favorite/least favorite part of the job?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, U-235 said:

That last bit sounds horrible. Even the research paper that I was a co-author on, that got published in a scientific journal, only had 13 references. I'm still just an undergrad, so I've got 4 finals this semester, so lot's of fun :(. I've already started the process of severely lacking sleep Ha! So where do you go to grad school at? How difficult is grad school compared to undergrad? Going for your masters or PhD? Lastly what'd you want to do with a degree in European History?

That's pretty cool!

I think some people over-do references; it's skillful to draw upon a small amount of literature in order to demonstrate the points of an argument that might be contested. That way people may actually read the references. If there's 75 of them, people will give up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, U-235 said:

Ahhh, that must be an interesting job. I knew a couple of students that worked at my previous college's library. There were a few horror stories of them walking in on people in the back sections late at night doing things (exactly what you'd think). What major do you see the most of? Also what's your favorite/least favorite part of the job?

It has proved to be a curious job! I was an English major, focus in writing and American lit (20th century), so not the most practical degree (almost have a BA in psych, as well). So here I am as a library 'tech' as they call them. And yep, though it hasn't happened to me, people have been spotted doing various things in the stacks, both together, and solo! It seems to be almost a rite of passage, it would seem. Well, I exaggerate, but yep, it happens.

Favorite part? That would have to be a few things: The atmosphere of a large university in general and meeting people who are actively engaged in talking about things from a broad number of perspectives, and the diversity; this is just outside of DC, in Maryland. So just the odd conversation has always been an aspect I like; small talk that gets big, you might call it? hard to explain, exactly! That, and being able to read any book we have, and, if we don't, borrow it free, via Inter-library Loan, such that, if I latch onto an author, I can read everything they wrote, and then, decide if I wanna buy a copy, to re-read. This is a major benefit, as I tend to latch onto an author, and want to read everything by them.

Least favorite? The pay! Hard to get much of a raise, at a state job, so that can kinda get ya down, as the cost of living goes up, and yer pat doesn't...and, I have a long commute, but I tend to read on the train.

Hey...and thanks for asking. You sure are a friendly sort!

(Oh...most common major...hard to say! Engineering, public policy related majors, environmental sciences, things related to diplomacy; lots of people majoring in various languages (Chinese, Arabic, Korean) )

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

It has proved to be a curious job! I was an English major, focus in writing and American lit (20th century), so not the most practical degree (almost have a BA in psych, as well). So here I am as a library 'tech' as they call them. And yep, though it hasn't happened to me, people have been spotted doing various things in the stacks, both together, and solo! It seems to be almost a rite of passage, it would seem. Well, I exaggerate, but yep, it happens.

Favorite part? That would have to be a few things: The atmosphere of a large university in general and meeting people who are actively engaged in talking about things from a broad number of perspectives, and the diversity; this is just outside of DC, in Maryland. So just the odd conversation has always been an aspect I like; small talk that gets big, you might call it? hard to explain, exactly! That, and being able to read any book we have, and, if we don't, borrow it free, via Inter-library Loan, such that, if I latch onto an author, I can read everything they wrote, and then, decide if I wanna buy a copy, to re-read. This is a major benefit, as I tend to latch onto an author, and want to read everything by them.

Least favorite? The pay! Hard to get much of a raise, at a state job, so that can kinda get ya down, as the cost of living goes up, and yer pat doesn't...and, I have a long commute, but I tend to read on the train.

Hey...and thanks for asking. You sure are a friendly sort!

(Oh...most common major...hard to say! Engineering, public policy related majors, environmental sciences, things related to diplomacy; lots of people majoring in various languages (Chinese, Arabic, Korean) )

Of course! I love to get to know people and learn more about what makes them tick and makes them happy! Plus I want to make more friends in this fandom since I don't really know many people here yet. My mom was an English major actually, she's a lawyer now. 

2 hours ago, U-235 said:

Grad school is a pretty different experience compared to undergraduate classes; most of the work in all the classes I have had so far has been the reading, with each class assigning a book a week, it can get to be quite a timesink. The format of the classes is also quite different, they are almost entirely discussion based, with the professor only occasionally interjecting or posing questions throughout the 3 hours of the class (overall, I prefer the lecture format of most of my undergraduate classes). I would say that it is certainly more difficult on a weekly basis, given the amount of work needed to be prepared for the class discussions, but overall 2 graduate classes is not as much work as 5-6 undergraduate (though the work that there is is held to a higher standard).

Though I initially planned to enter professorial work within history, at this point I'm probably going to try to become an intelligence analyst with the FBI or a defense contractor/private company, as history majors are highly sought after in these positions based on our skills with research and analysis.

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

That's pretty cool!

I think some people over-do references; it's skillful to draw upon a small amount of literature in order to demonstrate the points of an argument that might be contested. That way people may actually read the references. If there's 75 of them, people will give up.

I think that, at least in history, the extensive and exhaustive system of reference is to some extent necessary; it serves both as a defense for the author as well as an assurance to the reader that the work is based on fact (whether or not the reader agrees with the author's interpretations and analyses of said facts, however, is another story). With limited citation, it quickly becomes impossible to verify the authenticity of the author's refernces without extensive outside research, making the author's arguments easy to tear apart while also allowing unscrupulous historians and others to make baseless arguments to the general reader.

Popular history provides a good example of the problems of limited citation; you have people like Bill O'Reilly who write "history" books that gives credence to baseless conspiracy theories and straight up lies, which are heavily criticized by historians for their inaccuracies, while the general public lacks the specialized knowledge to see the lies they are being presented with.

The annotated bibliography I have to do, however, is in my view largely pointless; I will only be using 5-10 sources in my actual historiography paper, but will need to include likely over 40 sources and descriptions in the bibliography...

I'm only taking two classes at the community college, so I don't get to experience the full brunt of finals week just yet. Diff Eq is actually pretty simple (really the worst part is all the arduous algebra), so most of my study time will be dedicated to Physics 1.

Good look to you guys on your finals though. Y'all are super hard-working.

1 hour ago, Osrik said:

Grad school is a pretty different experience compared to undergraduate classes; most of the work in all the classes I have had so far has been the reading, with each class assigning a book a week, it can get to be quite a timesink. The format of the classes is also quite different, they are almost entirely discussion based, with the professor only occasionally interjecting or posing questions throughout the 3 hours of the class (overall, I prefer the lecture format of most of my undergraduate classes). I would say that it is certainly more difficult on a weekly basis, given the amount of work needed to be prepared for the class discussions, but overall 2 graduate classes is not as much work as 5-6 undergraduate (though the work that there is is held to a higher standard).

Though I initially planned to enter professorial work within history, at this point I'm probably going to try to become an intelligence analyst with the FBI or a defense contractor/private company, as history majors are highly sought after in these positions based on our skills with research and analysis.

I think that, at least in history, the extensive and exhaustive system of reference is to some extent necessary; it serves both as a defense for the author as well as an assurance to the reader that the work is based on fact (whether or not the reader agrees with the author's interpretations and analyses of said facts, however, is another story). With limited citation, it quickly becomes impossible to verify the authenticity of the author's refernces without extensive outside research, making the author's arguments easy to tear apart while also allowing unscrupulous historians and others to make baseless arguments to the general reader.

Popular history provides a good example of the problems of limited citation; you have people like Bill O'Reilly who write "history" books that gives credence to baseless conspiracy theories and straight up lies, which are heavily criticized by historians for their inaccuracies, while the general public lacks the specialized knowledge to see the lies they are being presented with.

The annotated bibliography I have to do, however, is in my view largely pointless; I will only be using 5-10 sources in my actual historiography paper, but will need to include likely over 40 sources and descriptions in the bibliography...

That seems to be the general thing I hear about grad school. It's what my research adviser told me when I asked her about grad school. Granted she went to it for mechanical engineering and I'm going for nuclear, but I'd imagine the outlying principals are about the same. Also it's interesting because my dad majored in History and worked for the FBI for a while as an analysts. He's a Lawyer now though.

1 hour ago, Kosha said:

How I feel:

Seems like a reasonable response to Finals.

28 minutes ago, pothocket said:

I'm only taking two classes at the community college, so I don't get to experience the full brunt of finals week just yet. Diff Eq is actually pretty simple (really the worst part is all the arduous algebra), so most of my study time will be dedicated to Physics 1.

Good look to you guys on your finals though. Y'all are super hard-working.

I remember the days of Diff Eq. I actually got a B in that course. It wasn't too bad, just making sure you know what form you're dealing with, and how to deal with it. Also physics I shouldn't be too bad. What're you majoring in? 

15 minutes ago, U-235 said:

I remember the days of Diff Eq. I actually got a B in that course. It wasn't too bad, just making sure you know what form you're dealing with, and how to deal with it. Also physics I shouldn't be too bad. What're you majoring in? 

I'm still in high school, but I'll probably end up in either pure math or comp sci. I'm honestly not to sure about the job prospects of a math major, but the doctorate path seems really appealing to me. I guess I still have time to think that through.

Physics is actually turning out to the hardest science/math course I've taken so far, although that's probably partly because it's my first physics course.

• Like 1

In my MIG class I already did the short circuit weld test and I am working on my pulse weld test. Still working on my overhead welds. Open note, open book written test on Wednesday, should be easy.

I'm not sure if there are any tests in TIG. I should ask tomorrow.

I'm doing terrible in just about all of my classes. I just have a lot of work to do. 
I have other exams, 2 powerpoints, 5 essays, and a database project that need to be done by the end of next week. About IT: I'm just not really feeling it and Philosophy has been more enjoyable (but I can't see a career in it).

While I want to sing "In the End" at the top of my lungs, I know exactly why I'm in the situation I'm in and it's not impossible to fix. Two weeks of hell, here I come!

320sw0sw7847.gif

3 hours ago, pothocket said:

I'm still in high school, but I'll probably end up in either pure math or comp sci. I'm honestly not to sure about the job prospects of a math major, but the doctorate path seems really appealing to me. I guess I still have time to think that through.

Physics is actually turning out to the hardest science/math course I've taken so far, although that's probably partly because it's my first physics course.

My friend has a degree in Mathmatics, though it's only a bachelors so I'm not sure how his experience will relate to yours. The prospect for mathematicians is always high as long as engineering and science in general is in high demand. I know nuclear firms consult them all the time for optimization equations. But don't worry you've got plenty of time, and don't be afraid of changing majors. I was going to originally be a Business major, then Chemical engineering, and finally I decided I'd just go for it and do what I've always wanted to, nuclear engineering.

2 hours ago, LazerMaster5 said:

In my MIG class I already did the short circuit weld test and I am working on my pulse weld test. Still working on my overhead welds. Open note, open book written test on Wednesday, should be easy.

I'm not sure if there are any tests in TIG. I should ask tomorrow.

Good luck with that! I suck at most things with welding so I'd likely fuck it up pretty badly lol.

2 hours ago, Silo said:

I'm doing terrible in just about all of my classes. I just have a lot of work to do. 
I have other exams, 2 powerpoints, 5 essays, and a database project that need to be done by the end of next week. About IT: I'm just not really feeling it and Philosophy has been more enjoyable (but I can't see a career in it).

While I want to sing "In the End" at the top of my lungs, I know exactly why I'm in the situation I'm in and it's not impossible to fix. Two weeks of hell, here I come!

320sw0sw7847.gif

Ahh that was how my first semester at Georgia Tech. My grades were on the edge and I had to work my ass off to just pass one of my classes. So I feel you there my friend. What's your major if you don't mind me asking? 

8 hours ago, U-235 said:

Ahh that was how my first semester at Georgia Tech. My grades were on the edge and I had to work my ass off to just pass one of my classes. So I feel you there my friend. What's your major if you don't mind me asking? 

Currently, it's Computer Information Systems. I don't really know if I want to continue with that major.