Just Some Thoughts I Have, Ahah

LeeMessesAround

I'm going to try and be as active on this forum site as I am on the Furry Forums, but I make no real promises, I guess. I'm mainly just wanting some people to talk to, so I'm going to talk about some random things and hope somebody approaches to have a conversation about one, two, or all of the things I bring up.

I want to start drawing my fursonas more, but I don't really have much I can use them for. I drew a birthday card for my sister that has my opossum fursona on it, and I drew a ref sheet for my snow leopard bby, but that's pretty much all I've done and I feel bad. So, I suppose, maybe give me suggestions on things I should draw them doing? I'm pretty open to drawing most things, though I draw the line at heavy NSFW. Just throw ideas at me, I guess...I might even draw other people's fursonas with mine, if people would be interested in that sort of thing, and I'll post the drawings here for people to see ^^

On a different note, I'm drawing a comic. It's not furry related, but it's something I've been wanting to do for a while anyhow. I have the front cover completely finished, a sketch for the chapter one cover done, so now it's a matter of keeping myself motivated enough to draw pages that people can read...and remembering to make sure my handwriting is easy to read, ahah.

So, for those of you who also make art, what types of things do you create? Drawings, stories, something else? I'm mainly centered around drawing and occasional storytelling, though I have dabbled in other mediums like painting, sculpting, and ceramics. Sculpting was only something I did back in middle school because it was a requirement in my art class, though it wasn't something I disliked, just not something I loved either. I was in a ceramics club in middle school, and that was pretty fun. I worked with one of those spinning wheels and I made some pottery...I don't think I have any of it, but it was still a fun club. As for painting, I had to do a bit of that in my drawing class, technically, last year, and it's not something I particularly like. It's not that I dislike painting, it's just a bit too messy and hard to control for my liking. Oh yeah, I've also working with chalk and oil pastels...the chalk wasn't that bad, just super messy, but the oil pastels were a disaster, I think. I wanted to have a lot of detail in the piece I was trying to make, and I learned pretty quickly oil pastels aren't built for small little details...at least, the ones I was working with weren't. I'm sure if I was more experienced with that medium, I could've pulled off that piece, but, as somebody who works primarily in pencil and colored pencils, that didn't end well. Anyway, that got slightly off topic...to recap the question: what types of art do you guys make?

Moving on from art, I guess I'll ask about the very loved topic of school. How do you guys feel about the schooling system where you live? I, personally, think that there isn't a lot of issues with the curriculum as much as there's an issue with the teachers that are teaching. I wish that the county would be more diligent about who they're hiring, considering lunatics and people who don't know how to interact with kids are frequently slipping through the cracks. I remember my third grade teacher was just awful...I don't know why she'd sign on to be a teacher if she didn't have the patience to deal with eight-year-olds in a way that wouldn't leave them traumatized. I remember there was this kid that got scared of her to the point of fainting where she stood and wound up hitting the back of her head on the whiteboard. The kid was fine, but that doesn't change the fact that she fainted. There were many times in that class where I made myself physically sick because of how stressed she made me. I don't know. Hopefully the county is working to make sure people like that don't get hired anymore, but you never know.

Goodness, this is turning out longer than I meant it to...if you don't want to respond to any of the other crap, I guess I'll just ask how everyone's Father's Day was. Mine wasn't too great, some bull shit happened, but that's besides the point. How's everyone's day today?

• Like 2

Welcome to the forums, Lee

Don't have much to say regarding your fursona. I don't have one and wouldn't know what to do with one if I did. Probably poorly draw him drinking and call it #art (it looks bad because he's drunk!).

Comics though, I like them. I read a ton and review a handful. Have a podcast and everything like I'm legit or something. I'm not, but I pretend well. I'd recommend that, whatever you end up doing, don't hand write the words. Add them in digitally. Image put out a book twoish weeks ago that had hand-written words all over it, mostly in cursive, and man was that hard to read. Wound up stopping a few pages in because I had other books at my disposal. Lettering is just as much of an art form in comics as the writing and drawing. Sadly, it's one of those things where if you do it really right, no one will notice. If you do it wrong though, yikes. It really can hurt the overall experience.

For paragraph four, I write fiction. I've written three books and am in the throes of editing the third. I'm still sending the first two out to agents/publishers hoping that lighting will strike. It's grueling.

If you want people to talk to, I'd also recommend Discord. Lots of people here use it and we also have a server specifically for the forums too. It's not as active as it used to be, but it's something

3 hours ago, LeeMessesAround said:

So, for those of you who also make art, what types of things do you create? Drawings, stories, something else?

I draw, but I haven't drawn anything for quite some time because of school. Other than that I make videos on occasion. Really wish I could get back to that, but it's hard when you don't have a lot of good equipment and no friends

How do you guys feel about the schooling system where you live?

Not sure how things are now, but I remember the school system here being kinda meh

Goodness, this is turning out longer than I meant it to...if you don't want to respond to any of the other crap, I guess I'll just ask how everyone's Father's Day was. Mine wasn't too great, some bull shit happened, but that's besides the point. How's everyone's day today?

It was alright, but still kinda shitty

10 hours ago, Conker said:

Comics though, I like them. I read a ton and review a handful. Have a podcast and everything like I'm legit or something. I'm not, but I pretend well. I'd recommend that, whatever you end up doing, don't hand write the words. Add them in digitally. Image put out a book twoish weeks ago that had hand-written words all over it, mostly in cursive, and man was that hard to read. Wound up stopping a few pages in because I had other books at my disposal. Lettering is just as much of an art form in comics as the writing and drawing. Sadly, it's one of those things where if you do it really right, no one will notice. If you do it wrong though, yikes. It really can hurt the overall experience.

I'll take the putting words in digitally thing into consideration, seeing as I do know that my handwriting can be a bit hard to read sometimes. It'd be a bit difficult, I think, but it'd probably be worth it to make sure people can understand the story I'm trying to write out. Thanks for the advice though, I'm sure it'll help me out quite a bit. What's your podcast called? I don't think I'd submit my comic to you, unless I feel like I really need the help, but I think hearing the advice and criticisms you give to other people could help me improve a lot myself, if that makes sense.

10 hours ago, Conker said:

For paragraph four, I write fiction. I've written three books and am in the throes of editing the third. I'm still sending the first two out to agents/publishers hoping that lighting will strike. It's grueling.

Ah dang, I hope you can get those books published, man ^^ what types of fiction do you write?

8 hours ago, willow said:

If you want people to talk to, I'd also recommend Discord. Lots of people here use it and we also have a server specifically for the forums too. It's not as active as it used to be, but it's something

I draw, but I haven't drawn anything for quite some time because of school. Other than that I make videos on occasion. Really wish I could get back to that, but it's hard when you don't have a lot of good equipment and no friends

It was alright, but still kinda shitty

I do have a Discord, so I'll consider joining the server for the forums...I was actually going to include my discord account in the OP post, but I got caught up in talking about other things and forgot, ahah

Ah, I understand that. School is very important and should come first in most regards, but it sucks when it takes up all of your free time. Anyhow, what types of videos do you make?

My Father's Day wasn't the best either, as I think I mentioned in the OP post. It started out okay, my dad took the family out on the boat, but then the boat broke down and we had to get towed back to the dock, ahah ^^""" not very fun...

7 hours ago, Victor-933 said:

St1-recruitingsergeant-film-1.thumb.jpg.d0046fd0506cfc5e3644e2165382ebc6.jpg

Fresh meat for the grinder...

Welcome to the Loony Bin, I'm one of the resident shitposters; I'll leave it at that.

In light of some... recent developments... don't start no shit, won't be no shit.

I think I'll enjoy your company, considering shitposters are typically fun people to interact with, ahah

Anyway, I'll avoid starting anything with anyone. Though I sort of enjoy sitting back and watching drama unfold, being one of the people trapped inside of it tends to never be a very fun thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeeMessesAround said:

Ah, I understand that. School is very important and should come first in most regards, but it sucks when it takes up all of your free time. Anyhow, what types of videos do you make?

A variety of things. Most of what I've done though are short films/skits and informational pieces

1 hour ago, LeeMessesAround said:

My Father's Day wasn't the best either, as I think I mentioned in the OP post. It started out okay, my dad took the family out on the boat, but then the boat broke down and we had to get towed back to the dock, ahah ^^""" not very fun...

Ah that sucks :/

Hey man! Drawing sounds awesome! I actually like the idea of chracters interacting instead of being flat ideas. I'm currently (and slowly) working on a way to bring my fursona and OCs to life and work them into their own world they can interact in. Not a big dramatic story, more of a worldbuild...something I can be lax on and draw some small side events now and again within the character's lives. 

Besides that, I just draw random things most times. Random dogs or animals, other peoples characters, etc. I want to start drawing more realism as practice because Im not super happy with my style and want to get better.

If you want to do an art trade you can PM me, we can do our characters interacting :) I dont have any ideas for yours, mainly because I dont know any details about them or anything, but you can PM me that, too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LeeMessesAround said:

I'll take the putting words in digitally thing into consideration, seeing as I do know that my handwriting can be a bit hard to read sometimes. It'd be a bit difficult, I think, but it'd probably be worth it to make sure people can understand the story I'm trying to write out. Thanks for the advice though, I'm sure it'll help me out quite a bit. What's your podcast called? I don't think I'd submit my comic to you, unless I feel like I really need the help, but I think hearing the advice and criticisms you give to other people could help me improve a lot myself, if that makes sense.

Ah dang, I hope you can get those books published, man ^^ what types of fiction do you write?

The podcast is called Comics Dash. The latest episode can be streamed here http://wethenerdy.com/comics-dash-54-its-about-black-lights-and-cum/ or downloaded from iTunes. The last maybe two or three eps aren't super comic heavy because it's been a slew of bad books, which is why black lights and cum became the title. Also because it pisses off the guy who owns the site.

My first novel was high fantasy with talking animal people. If I can't publish it, I'll self pub it and market it as a furry book. Second is YA horror, which it turns out is a pretty shitty market to be in. Horror is hard to sell. Third is an action/comedy of sorts, though it's more dark than funny. It has talking toys in it.

• Like 1

A possum! Hello, there. I like possums. 

About the art, I mostly just do small doodles. Sometimes in pencil or pastel, but I've started playing with a tablet and having fun with that. Oil pastels are pretty sketchy, but you can get some detail if you're careful and do a lot of touching up. The biggest thing is to just have fun with whatever you're doing so you don't get burned out.

We do have a comic thread in the art section, by the way. I haven't contributed much there lately (no time) but it's a good place to get random silly ideas. And since you asked, considering you have a possum and snow leopard you should draw the possum riding the kitty.

76fe17f81431f9cd03adb153b91261a6.jpg

On 6/19/2017 at 3:40 PM, Vallium said:

Hey man! Drawing sounds awesome! I actually like the idea of chracters interacting instead of being flat ideas. I'm currently (and slowly) working on a way to bring my fursona and OCs to life and work them into their own world they can interact in. Not a big dramatic story, more of a worldbuild...something I can be lax on and draw some small side events now and again within the character's lives. 

Besides that, I just draw random things most times. Random dogs or animals, other peoples characters, etc. I want to start drawing more realism as practice because Im not super happy with my style and want to get better.

If you want to do an art trade you can PM me, we can do our characters interacting :) I dont have any ideas for yours, mainly because I dont know any details about them or anything, but you can PM me that, too.

World-building is super fun, I think...I'm still working on getting better at it, but it's still something I tend to enjoy

Ah, realism is fairly difficult, but I hear it's a good place to start for people who want to draw so they can get a good grasp on basic anatomy. I hope you can develop your style more and maybe we can exchange some art in PMs, just so we can get a feel for each other's style and whatnot.

I'm not sure about doing an art trade at this current point in time, I have some stuff I already owe people in terms of art that I need to get done before I put more stuff onto myself, but I'll happily discuss ideas with you just to save time for later. I'm not very vigilant about checking this site, so if you have a Deviant Art and/or Discord I could reach you at, I'll be a lot quicker with my responses.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Conker said:

The podcast is called Comics Dash. The latest episode can be streamed here http://wethenerdy.com/comics-dash-54-its-about-black-lights-and-cum/ or downloaded from iTunes. The last maybe two or three eps aren't super comic heavy because it's been a slew of bad books, which is why black lights and cum became the title. Also because it pisses off the guy who owns the site.

My first novel was high fantasy with talking animal people. If I can't publish it, I'll self pub it and market it as a furry book. Second is YA horror, which it turns out is a pretty shitty market to be in. Horror is hard to sell. Third is an action/comedy of sorts, though it's more dark than funny. It has talking toys in it.

I'll check your podcast out sometime, ahah ^^ I'm sure I'll enjoy it

Yea, fiction books in general can be a bit hard to get people to read, but I'm sure you can do it. I think the lore of the high fantasy book could be interesting to explore, so if you manage to get that book out I'd certainly at least give it a glance. I wouldn't have expected that horror would be a hard market to sell in, but I guess it makes sense. I guess you can take some solace in the fact that, though it's hard to sell books in that genre, horror that does sell sells really well. Dark comedy, I think, is the best comedy, but that's my own opinion.

All your stories sound really interesting, man, I hope you can get them published and out into the world

17 hours ago, Jtrekkie said:

A possum! Hello, there. I like possums. 

About the art, I mostly just do small doodles. Sometimes in pencil or pastel, but I've started playing with a tablet and having fun with that. Oil pastels are pretty sketchy, but you can get some detail if you're careful and do a lot of touching up. The biggest thing is to just have fun with whatever you're doing so you don't get burned out.

We do have a comic thread in the art section, by the way. I haven't contributed much there lately (no time) but it's a good place to get random silly ideas. And since you asked, considering you have a possum and snow leopard you should draw the possum riding the kitty.

76fe17f81431f9cd03adb153b91261a6.jpg

I like opossums too ^^ they're pretty cute, but sort of scary, animals, ahah

I've seen oil pastel work that is really top notch and full of great detail, but the medium generally just isn't my thing. I applaud people who can work with it, but I don't think I have the patience for it, ahah ^^"""

I'll look into the comic thread, though I'm not sure if I'll post my comic there. I'm not sure if the comics are meant to be exclusively furry related or if it can be pretty much anything, but the story I'm working to illustrate for isn't related to anthro animals, so..egh

As for the drawing idea; I really like that ;u; I will definitely do that

• Like 1

Opossums are precious wee beasties.

Strictly speaking, when it comes to story-stuff I'm mainly a prose writer, but I've been getting back into drawing recently after I realised this story I've been dinking around with since high school made more sense to me either as a comic or some kind of mixed narrative and was too weirdly structured to just be all "BOOK!" with it. Also, I love comics and sequential art in general, even if I don't read them so often as I used to.

Mostly I'm a musician, though. I've been a writer longer but music is kind of my lifeblood.

Enough about me! You seem nice and I want to know more about you but I'm not sure what to ask. Maybe... are you training to become a teacher yourself? If so, how's that working out?

6 hours ago, LeeMessesAround said:

World-building is super fun, I think...I'm still working on getting better at it, but it's still something I tend to enjoy

Ah, realism is fairly difficult, but I hear it's a good place to start for people who want to draw so they can get a good grasp on basic anatomy. I hope you can develop your style more and maybe we can exchange some art in PMs, just so we can get a feel for each other's style and whatnot.

I'm not sure about doing an art trade at this current point in time, I have some stuff I already owe people in terms of art that I need to get done before I put more stuff onto myself, but I'll happily discuss ideas with you just to save time for later. I'm not very vigilant about checking this site, so if you have a Deviant Art and/or Discord I could reach you at, I'll be a lot quicker with my responses.

Hey no worries! If you prefer it I'll instead rummage through your character info and throw ideas at you to draw them in!

....and yeah, realism is hard. It's honestly because I feel with toony style alone I might stagnate too much and if practice more from life pictures I might be better at color, anatomy, etc. (as it stands Im not all that good at art x3). i doubt I'll ever be good at it, it's not my thing. As for the "worldbuilding", I 

My DA and discord are both WolfNightV4X1, discord #3542

...I just realized since its youre thread youre probably handling multiple conversations at one :P How does it feel being pseudo-popufur? :v

1 hour ago, Vallium said:

....and yeah, realism is hard. It's honestly because I feel with toony style alone I might stagnate too much and if practice more from life pictures I might be better at color, anatomy, etc. (as it stands Im not all that good at art x3). i doubt I'll ever be good at it, it's not my thing.

Yeah, the main benefit of drawing from life is it forces you to flex muscles that you normally might not in your standard style and gives you an appreciation of new nuances and what the "rules" of reality are so you can obey or break them creatively without seeming like you don't know what you're doing. Like, when you draw in a super toony or sketchy or abstract style with weird Cubist angles or intentionally worky physics, it should work because it's clear that you at least have an intuitive understanding of what "the right way" is, and doing a lot of sketches from life or photography helps that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mandragoras said:

Yeah, the main benefit of drawing from life is it forces you to flex muscles that you normally might not in your standard style and gives you an appreciation of new nuances and what the "rules" of reality are so you can obey or break them creatively without seeming like you don't know what you're doing. Like, when you draw in a super toony or sketchy or abstract style with weird Cubist angles or intentionally worky physics, it should work because it's clear that you at least have an intuitive understanding of what "the right way" is, and doing a lot of sketches from life or photography helps that.

Yeah, youre definitely right! That's what I heard regarding "the rules", you have to know them before you can break it.

...it's not like I havent studied off of life before, been in art class so I've done bowls of fruit or chairs or people portraits. Definitely tried to takeaway from irl animal drawings and observations plenty of times. Though I know people who "git good" reeeaally delve into it. Not sure if I have the time or compulsion to do so but we'll see

13 hours ago, Vallium said:

...it's not like I havent studied off of life before, been in art class so I've done bowls of fruit or chairs or people portraits. Definitely tried to takeaway from irl animal drawings and observations plenty of times. Though I know people who "git good" reeeaally delve into it. Not sure if I have the time or compulsion to do so but we'll see

Oh yeah, same.

On 6/21/2017 at 0:33 AM, Vallium said:

Hey no worries! If you prefer it I'll instead rummage through your character info and throw ideas at you to draw them in!

....and yeah, realism is hard. It's honestly because I feel with toony style alone I might stagnate too much and if practice more from life pictures I might be better at color, anatomy, etc. (as it stands Im not all that good at art x3). i doubt I'll ever be good at it, it's not my thing. As for the "worldbuilding", I 

My DA and discord are both WolfNightV4X1, discord #3542

...I just realized since its youre thread youre probably handling multiple conversations at one :P How does it feel being pseudo-popufur? :v

I have a few furry characters I could throw at you in DMs for you to look at ^^

Yea, I had to do a self portrait in my drawing class last year and it was hard as hell, ahah. Realism definitely isn't my strong suit, but people tell me I'm fairly good at it.

I don't think you finished your thought on world-building there, ahah

Popufur, ahah, that's a good one. Anyway, it's a bit stressful, but nice at the same time ^^ I like it when people seem like they want to talk to me

I'll send you a friend request in discord and check out your deviantart ^^