SSD died

Rukh Whitefang

So, I upgraded to a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB back in December. And it worked great, stabilized several issues I was having gaming wise. But on Saturday in between being out of town nearly all day it killed itself. It doesn't even load the OS, just BSOD. I know some of the people that work for Geek Squad at Best Buy so I took it there to see if it could even be read (as I don't have a spare PC to swap the SSD into). And it failed to be read. Not corrupted, like the whole 1TB partition doesn't even exist. I have no idea how that even happened on a 7 month old SSD.

I'm busy restoring a backup from my external drive into my old HD drive. First available backup failed. Its missing a ton of files. So trying the 2nd newest restore point. Hopefully that works and it only sets me back to the 10th of July. Has anyone heard of an SSD failing like this? The guys at Geek Squad were quite surprised by this failure.

1 hour ago, Rukh Whitefang said:

So, I upgraded to a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB back in December. And it worked great, stabilized several issues I was having gaming wise. But on Saturday in between being out of town nearly all day it killed itself. It doesn't even load the OS, just BSOD. I know some of the people that work for Geek Squad at Best Buy so I took it there to see if it could even be read (as I don't have a spare PC to swap the SSD into). And it failed to be read. Not corrupted, like the whole 1TB partition doesn't even exist. I have no idea how that even happened on a 7 month old SSD.

I'm busy restoring a backup from my external drive into my old HD drive. First available backup failed. Its missing a ton of files. So trying the 2nd newest restore point. Hopefully that works and it only sets me back to the 10th of July. Has anyone heard of an SSD failing like this? The guys at Geek Squad were quite surprised by this failure.

This is generally how SSDs die.  They don't so much 'start having problems' as they just suddenly give up the ghost.  While of a cheaper model, my Patriot Blast 960GB SSD died after 11 months... It's a replacement died in 6 months.  I wonder of Patriot will get tired of sending me new ones for free. :) 

Though I moved to a Samsung 850 EVO myself as Samsung is a more reliable brand and they back up their drive with a 5 year rather than 3 year warranty even if that doesn't promise that it'll be bullet proof.  The good news is that you can at least RMA your drive and Samsung will freely replace it.

If anyone's curious, the 3rd Patriot drive is now just a dedicated Steam drive in an HTPC since I'm unwilling to trust it with anything but game installations.  But should it die, mark my words, Patriot is going to be sending me a fourth one. :o

3 hours ago, Rukh Whitefang said:

It actually sounds almost like the Master Boot Record (MBR) may have become corrupted. I had that happen once (although on a mechanical HDD) and it was exactly as you described -- since the MBR holds information defining the partitions. Take it to an actual computer shop (and not minimum wage high schoolers like Geek Squad) and see what they say (unless you've already reformatted -- in my case it drove me to finally say "fuckit" and upgrade from Windows 98 to XP).

EDIT: In fact, depending on OS and if you have the recovery discs, there's a chance you can fix it yourself.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3113585/windows/how-to-repair-windows-master-boot-record-and-fix-your-bricked-pc.html

...of course this is just assuming it is in fact a corrupt MBR.

My EVO 840 will be three years old next month... You guys are making me nervous >__>
I don't have any important data on it, except, well, my OS and all my tools. But all of that can be reinstalled very easily.

But still, that would suck HARD if it just dies.

Tough break. Sounds like your SSD might have been defective from the start; it happens. I say that because my 840 EVO is 14 TB in and still going strong, and it was said that Samsung fixed the degradation bug that plagued the 840 EVO in later models; but you probably already knew that.

Claim on warranty, call it a day.

...meanwhile my offbrand laptop SSD has outlived two computers...

tumblr_inline_org7yjiwjc1r2cpqh_250.gif.7e45b5c4dd08281520e29406009dd0a1.gif

@Rukh Whitefang I still say it sounds like Master Boot Record corruption. Should look into that before shitcanning it. If it works you get your shit back, if it doesn't you don't lose anything more than you already have.

That sucks, man.

Admittedly, I haven't seen many SSD failures, but none of the ones I have died as slowly as a spinning-platter HDD.  Even my old workstation's IBM Deathstar had more time (1-3 hours) between "something seems off" and total beyond-readable failure.

23 minutes ago, Lopaw said:

And this is why I'm not touching SSDs for some time, even though a lot of people use them more nowadays.

Generally speaking, SSDs are supposed to have a much longer life cycle than traditional HDDs, but you need to really do your research to find the best ones. I was a bit skeptical at first when I bought mine, but the performance difference compared to the best HDD is unreal. I'd put it up there with one of the best upgrades I've made. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Generally speaking, SSDs are supposed to have a much longer life cycle than traditional HDDs, but you need to really do your research to find the best ones. I was a bit skeptical at first when I bought mine, but the performance difference compared to the best HDD is unreal. I'd put it up there with one of the best upgrades I've made. 

If I did go with one as part of a new build I'd probably have a smallish SSD as a boot drive and just stick everying else on a RAID 1 setup.

I'd figure a lot of SSD failures are because it's still rather hard to make the special floating gate MOSFETs used to form the memory cells in the things. Wear levelling is meant to make the cells last longer.

11 hours ago, Lopaw said:

And this is why I'm not touching SSDs for some time, even though a lot of people use them more nowadays.

That was my reasoning too, but I was having serious load time issues. It can take 5 minutes to be able to open firefox from when I turn on the PC. Not to mention load times for games.

17 hours ago, Victor-933 said:

...meanwhile my offbrand laptop SSD has outlived two computers...

@Rukh Whitefang I still say it sounds like Master Boot Record corruption. Should look into that before shitcanning it. If it works you get your shit back, if it doesn't you don't lose anything more than you already have.

Well, if it is fixable Samsung will fix it and then ship it back, if not they will send me a new one.

• 4 weeks later...

SSD's are only good for so many RW operations until they plug themselves up with stuck electrons and call it quits. Least with mechanical drives, you can swap the platters into a functional one and hope for the better...

I wouldn't trust a SSD for critical storage that endures many access operations.

But yeah, on top of their limited life cycle (like any form of storage), there's quite a few that are just plain put together like crap. Junk quality parts, poor connections, yadda yadda.

I do still have an OCZ Vertex that I practically had to saw half my arm off to afford kicking around, and it's doing alright, oddly enough. Some drives see over a petabyte worth of transfer before they say fuck the world, guess its a hit and miss kind of thing.

SAS FTW