What is Net Neutrality?

Nova

Net Neutrality as a principle is the idea that ISPs must treat all traffic equally. Legally, in the US it seems to have been a reclassification of internet services.

I'm not sure what all the hullabaloo is though because it has only been a thing since the last quarter of 2014. It was never an actual "law" anyway, more just an arbitrary reclassification by unelected officials. Funny how people only complain about that aspect when those unelected officials are doing things they don't like.

IMO it's just more of the typical hyperventilating and doomsaying -- besides, the twenty years of internet before the ruling didn't have the dumb shit people are screeching about...

28 minutes ago, Victor-933 said:

Net Neutrality as a principle is the idea that ISPs must treat all traffic equally. Legally, in the US it seems to have been a reclassification of internet services.

I'm not sure what all the hullabaloo is though because it has only been a thing since the last quarter of 2014. It was never an actual "law" anyway, more just an arbitrary reclassification by unelected officials. Funny how people only complain about that aspect when those unelected officials are doing things they don't like.

IMO it's just more of the typical hyperventilating and doomsaying -- besides, the twenty years of internet before the ruling didn't have the dumb shit people are screeching about...

True, but ISPs could still provide preferential treatment for certain companies/sites in the future if they aren't already.

The obvious solution for regular people is to simply stop their patronage of media companies like Disney to weaken them but that obviously won't happen. At this point in the US I'm not sure that even that would work; eg Netflix has seen negative cash flow since 2014 which has been getting worse over time but they're still operating.

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/nflx/financials/cash-flow

Similar circumstances for other media companies like SNAP and Twitter.

Some background info: In the US, the congress will vote to repeal net neutrality in December, after Thanksgiving day and Black Friday. The proposition has been lingering for a while and it has been rejected a few times in the past under different names and forms. This proposition has outraged many people online so naturally you have heard about it.

---

Net Neutrality is what is preventing this from taking place.

140809-net-neutrality.png

Customers would have to pay for more for their already (and in certain areas, sloppy) expensive internet access as the ISPs could attempt to excuse "but premium costs extra" kind of bullshit, on top of the basic fee for getting a mere husk of internet access at crawling speeds. I may be pessimistic about this but I can definitely see it as a frightening possibility and knowing human greed, a very real and likely possibility too.

When the ISPs have a stranglehold over their customers, they can do whatever they like (which are VERY unlikely to be in the favor of a customer), especially if there were no federal level regulations treating internet access like the utility it is.

Now the forces of true capitalism in US could prevent this from happening as customers could juts flock to a rivaling ISP but the fact of the matter is, most places in US only have one competitive local ISP to "choose" from. When it comes to ISPs, US is dominated by a select few monopolies.

---

Not only this, if Net Neutrality were to be repealed, the ISPs could attempt to throttle, if not downright censor or block sites and companies they disagree with, rival with or sites that haven't paid egrogeous sums of money into fat pockets of ISP shareholders, just because the ISPs can now ask for it. Needless to say, that is a SERIOUS threat to the freedom of  the internet. Internet is not meant to be controlled. It'd sad to see one of largest inventions/experiments in the history of humankind to be hijacked by politicans and corporations.

While I am here, the US citizens can call and message  their senator in hopes of turning their head around and voting against the repeal for net neutrality

And for everyone, you can sign petition here for free
https://www.change.org/p/save-net-neutrality-netneutrality

Edited by Snagged
added some background info
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Snagged said:

Net Neutrality is what is preventing this from taking place.

140809-net-neutrality.png

This is the kind of hysterical fearmongering I'm talking about. Like I said, the twenty years of internet before NN didn't have this shit so why do you think it would happen now?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Victor-933 said:

This is the kind of hysterical fearmongering I'm talking about. Like I said, the twenty years of internet before NN didn't have this shit so why do you think it would happen now?

They had shit like this.

Google Wallet got blocked by carriers. Comcast blocked BitTorrent use and pretended they didn't. This kind of shit happened.

It only wasn't worse because there was legislation that kept ISPs and carriers from doing worse things because they were afraid they'd get hit with legislation that would completely shut down the little things they were doing. They did get stopped in 2015, not 2014, because people in power were willing to put a stop to it by reclassifying ISPs as telecoms services.

And if you don't remember with the Comcast thing, people in the Bush government and media suggested tiered pricing just like that as a solution to the issue; it could have happened then, and we have a government that is more likely to allow it now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MalletFace said:

They had shit like this.

Google Wallet got blocked by carriers. Comcast blocked BitTorrent use and pretended they didn't. This kind of shit happened.

It only wasn't worse because there was legislation that kept ISPs and carriers from doing worse things because they were afraid they'd get hit with legislation that would completely shut down the little things they were doing. They did get stopped in 2015, not 2014, because people in power were willing to put a stop to it by reclassifying ISPs as telecoms services.

And if you don't remember with the Comcast thing, people in the Bush government and media suggested tiered pricing just like that as a solution to the issue; it could have happened then, and we have a government that is more likely to allow it now.

Pretty sure the BitTorrent thing was more because of rampant piracy and the RIAA/MPAA bullying ISPs into acting as an enforcement arm of their media cartel. Don't act like Comcast or the government made those decisions arbitrarily and of their own volition.

And for the record I don't disagree with NN as a concept. My issue is with its implementation. Part of me thinks that since the internet is so integral to modern society it should be under the purview of elected officials, not appointed ass-kissers with zero accountability.

• Like 1