How does war benefit the economy exactly?

I hear the phrase ''People go to war only for money'' a lot but I have very confused ideas as to how does war actually benefit the economy. I figure that the costs to maintain let alone deploy an army are tremendous yet humans have been doing this for millennia: if it was as disadvantageous as I naively think it is, the world would be much more peaceful.

Looking at today, the Unites States of America are often accused of being warmongers, seizing every worthwhile opportunity to go to war even though they certainly aren't the only ones but this is another story. By taking them as an example (or other civilizations if you wish), I want to know: how does it benefit them, how do they make money out of war? What's the process, what are the mechanisms, just, HOW. This is some real Metal Gear Solid 4 shit right here

I'd only like to remind you that this isn't a ''HURR DURR MURRICA IS EVUL HURR'' thread. Even though I'm not stopping you from talking about other stuff related to the topic at hand if you desire to do so, I simply would like a curiosity of mine be satisfied, that's all. Enlighten me

Most technology stems from wanting an edge in war, if there's no war there's less motivation to make the new 'thing'.  Without new 'things' the country doesn't have any signature technology to sell for boatloads to keep the economy ship shape.  It's not the only drive, but people like the internet a bloody lot don't they?

Edited by Zytan
  • Like 1

It makes money for a select group of people. It does not necessarily benefit the whole economy. It does, in some sense, keep secure a number of jobs required to support it. It does help allocate resources towards certain developments which often turn into very beneficial technologies, but those can come about in other ways. It can be used to acquire diplomatic concessions, by meeting certain goals of other countries in exchange for favorable trade treaties.

The government procures weapons and technology from the industrial military complex.  The industrial military complex provides manufacturing jobs (both main line and in parts and sub companies that make components), and they also sink capital into research and development.  R&D drive innovation, because even failed experiments (from a military perspective) may still have commercial applications.

• Like 4

Takeover the other country/civilizations and their resources, enslave/integrate the new population, Acquire new land and power

Im thinking way back when, though. Modern wars dont exactly end with taking over the other situation, usually.

Typically, I would think its risk and reward. Can you send x amount of military against the enemy and gain more than you lose?

It can be rather complicated. The whole invasion of Iraq for oil thing, for example. In WW2 the USA's failed economy profited from the war because of all the work and trade it created. The NatSoc and Fascist powers also lifted themselves out of the world finance system (that still persists today, only a small handful of nations aren't a part of it, such as North Korea) and stopped very powerful international banks from being able to profit from or otherwise exploit their countries, and you know how influential those small groups can be.

It can also inadvertently create new markets. I'm told the market for women's razors sprang up around WW2 due to the sheer amount of men that died, a new market had to be established.

Sort of.  Due to steel shortages for the war effort, Remington created and released the first electric razor for women.

Plenty of spin-offs from military R&D applications.   My car has about a dozen.  ABS brakes (first used on airplanes) backup sensors (radar), cruise control (auto pilot) the list is endless.