Fallout 4 Thread

DevilishlyHandsome49

See, that is my problem with the Fallout games. They are massive and there are tons of things to do and explore, but it all just sorta blends together in a very mediocre and forgettable way.

The glitchy world constantly kills any sort of immersion, the characters are all pretty flat and lack any real emotions and Bethesda simply can't animate people properly, it is always so obvious that they just follow a strict script. And the plot is always forgettable. 

It's a weird world with wacky weapons to dick around with, that is all the series has going for it in my opinion.

It's a problem with Bethesda games period. I don't think I have a single, particularly memorable moment from any of their games. Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout 4? None of them even compare in terms of badassery to Mass Effect or Dragon Age. Because that's not what Bethesda aim to do. They just create a world you can dive into, amuse yourself with, and enjoy. Unlike Bioware, who try to actually create those moments of "Hey, that was really cool."

• Like 1

It's a problem with Bethesda games period. I don't think I have a single, particularly memorable moment from any of their games. Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout 4? None of them even compare in terms of badassery to Mass Effect or Dragon Age. Because that's not what Bethesda aim to do. They just create a world you can dive into, amuse yourself with, and enjoy. Unlike Bioware, who try to actually create those moments of "Hey, that was really cool."

They tackle the opposites sides of the spectrum to each other, which is why I enjoy the games both companies produce for different reasons.

I wonder what it would be like if they ever collaborated on a game?

Edited by Naesaki

They tackle the opposites sides of the spectrum to each other, which is why I enjoy the games both companies produce for different reasons.

I wonder what it would be like if they ever collaborated on a game?

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

OVERLOAD.

CRITICAL SYSTEM FAI-

giphy.gif

Guys halp I legit can't decide what faction I wanna work for. :c

Well lets see the Brotherhood of Steel are a bunch of genocidal racists and the Institute's ideology is just filled with holes you could drive a tank through.  That really only leaves two choices the Minutemen who seem generally concerned with helping others and the Railroad which is the only group that wants to help the Synths achieve freedom.

Guys halp I legit can't decide what faction I wanna work for. :c

I figure siding with the Minutemen is ultimately the best option I think for the Commonwealth.

Institute have no true goals other than to keep advancing science and hiding in the shadows, they claim its for the good of the world yet they don't really explain beyond it.

The Brotherhood have fallen into zealotry like their western counterparts, feels like a slap in the face to everything Lyons tried to achieve, but I feel it could be turned around with them as not everyone in the brotherhood is truly comfortable with their ideology shift.

The Railroad, they have a noble goal but they don't really have a plan for after all is said and done, ideally they need to side with the Minutemen to balance them out.

Edited by Naesaki

How can you justify siding with the Institute.  They are murderers and thieves that don't take any time at all to consider the consequences of their actions.  They are the perfect example of why science must always be tempered by morality.

I don't know how spoiler text works on here but SPOILERS DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT PLOT SPOILERS

The problem is that pretty much every other ending involves you murdering the fuck out of all the scientists and destroying all of their work which could be incredibly valuable for rebuilding. Not to mention literally nuking the commonwealth... again. :V This is why I donno who to side with. The institute does some fucked up shit but their research is incredibly important and at least SOME of the shit they do and general distrust of the surface makes sense (their HELLO EVERYONE WE ARE UNDERGROUND SCIENTISTS WITH ANDROIDS stuff did not go well when they tried to actually help people). I mean if you work for them you DO end up leading them, which means you could just assume your character demanded they stop doing the fucked up stuff. This is one thing that really irritates me. You never got to call them out on the messed up stuff. You either are 100% for it or against it. You can't be like "your research is amazing but can you like, be a bit more moral about it plz?". The railroad has good intentions but they're also kinda crazy themselves and the leader is a bit of a control freak from what I've heard (I hear she gets pissed off if you do work with the minutemen or something for basically no reason?) So basically in the end it kinda boils down to "protect a bunch of important scientific advances that was obtained through shady means vs blow everything the fuck up back to the stone age so robots can be free". 

Edited by Mentova
  • Like 2

How can you justify siding with the Institute  [put any fraction here].  They are murderers and thieves that don't take any time at all to consider the consequences of their actions.  

At least Institute:

1. creates and develops new technologies, unlike Brotherhood of Steel which just parasitize on heritage of Enclave
2. not so fanatical, if you compare them with other fractions

3. have the coolest headquarters

Edited by Vitaly

This is why I fucking hate Bethesda's Fallout games, I mean from a main questline standpoint since they're still fun if you just kinda pretend that doesn't exist. But they can't write a decent story to save their fucking lives.

I haven't played FO4 much (PC shitting the bed and all) but I can't imagine it doesn't have all the same issues as FO3, namely boring black and white factions with zero depth (seriously I mean NV wasn't perfect but you could actually make an argument for each side) and boring-as-shit story in general. Like why can't they just commission the NV guys to all the writing or something, not that that stupid pseudo Mass Effect conversation system helps much.

At least I have to go to Boston tomorrow since I got some business right around Fenway Park so that's kinda funny I guess.

• Like 1

This is why I fucking hate Bethesda's Fallout games, I mean from a main questline standpoint since they're still fun if you just kinda pretend that doesn't exist. But they can't write a decent story to save their fucking lives.

I haven't played FO4 much (PC shitting the bed and all) but I can't imagine it doesn't have all the same issues as FO3, namely boring black and white factions with zero depth (seriously I mean NV wasn't perfect but you could actually make an argument for each side) and boring-as-shit story in general. Like why can't they just commission the NV guys to all the writing or something, not that that stupid pseudo Mass Effect conversation system helps much.

At least I have to go to Boston tomorrow since I got some business right around Fenway Park so that's kinda funny I guess.

Honestly it feels a lot better this time around. The brotherhood aren't goody two shoes anymore and are back to being kinda douchey and the institute is basically a giant shade of gray. Still not as good as NV though, minus the legion. Seriously its like impossible to argue in favor of them other than they're actually more secure than the NCR I guess :V

I actually love how gray the game is this time around. Leaves a lot more suspense for future dlc to show if the decision you made will really bite you in the ass. Im doing one playthrough for minuteman and one for the institute.

Also, thank you all for being very careful with spoilers :3

@Mentova click the eye icon and that should put on the spoiler bar over whatever text you write

Honestly it feels a lot better this time around. The brotherhood aren't goody two shoes anymore and are back to being kinda douchey and the institute is basically a giant shade of gray. Still not as good as NV though, minus the legion. Seriously its like impossible to argue in favor of them other than they're actually more secure than the NCR I guess :V

You can, it's just not very apparent unless you do a shit-ton of digging (which is one of my problems with NV). They're assholes no doubt, but they canonically unified the entirety of Arizona. Unlike the NCR which is plagued by bureaucracy and corruption, they're the only faction whose proven to able to create an actually ordered society, albeit a horrifically sexist ass backwards one full of slaves. But stability is stability, and under Caeser everyone has purpose and can live without fear of being murdered by raiders or something.

Of course that's irrelevant because Mr. House is the only correct choice anyways.

Edited by PastryOfApathy

I watched an entire gameplay walkthrough because I'm to much of a poor fag to afford something decent to play it on, and I was not impressed. I swear it was less thought out than FO3. Glad I didn't waste my money. Like what they done with the power armor though.

You can, it's just not very apparent unless you do a shit-ton of digging (which is one of my problems with NV). They're assholes no doubt, but they canonically unified the entirety of Arizona. Unlike the NCR which is plagued by bureaucracy and corruption, they're the only faction whose proven to able to create an actually ordered society, albeit a horrifically sexist ass backwards one full of slaves. But stability is stability, and under Caeser everyone has purpose and can live without fear of being murdered by raiders or something.

Of course that's irrelevant because Mr. House is the only correct choice anyways.

Yeah basically the only thing you can argue for pro-legion, but I'd prefer the NCR to those bastards because even if they are corrupt, they're not crazy slavers run by a crazy dude with brain cancer. :V Plus the NCR had those bitchin' rad AR-15s with wood furniture and the cool ranger dudes. I never went with Mr. House because he seemed like the kinda guy who would betray you. :V

I actually love how gray the game is this time around. Leaves a lot more suspense for future dlc to show if the decision you made will really bite you in the ass. Im doing one playthrough for minuteman and one for the institute.

Also, thank you all for being very careful with spoilers :3

@Mentova click the eye icon and that should put on the spoiler bar over whatever text you write

Thanks, edited it in :D

Edited by Mentova

1 hour ago, Amiir said:

GNNNG. MUST GET THIS GAME. GAMING RIG, HERE I COME

Even though they are mega jury rigged and stuck together with duct tape the current set of mods are also working rather well, can't wait to see what the G.E.C.K can do now

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2015 at 7:23 AM, Kaedal said:

Don't even bring up the abomination that is Tactics. It had nothing in common with the Fallout franchise except that it used the same assets and setting. It was an absolute atrocity, and I'm surprised they didn't dig every copy of it into the ground.

I've only just started playing Tactics, what is wrong with it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mehhh, it looks more of the same shit to be honest. Helping poor defenseless folks (or robots in this case)? I already heard that one too many times in the same game. I played Fallout 4 for nearly 100 hours now and I'm frankly getting quite bored :/