RTS games, man. I can't, I just... can't. I want to but goddamn.

Basically I've tried learning this genre and I guess I made a somewhat similar thread before but fuck it. I just can't keep track of all that shit on the screen, I can't build things fast enough and I can't spam units to defeat the enemy before they spam me first so I gotta save scum like a motherfucker and it seems like a hopeless fucking cause, AUGH. And I'm usually GOOD at video games, I've beaten Doom II on nightmare mode for fuck's sake.

Which is a shame, because at least Red Alert is fun, I love it, but I'm so terribad at RTSes. I dunno what to do, I watch videos on YouTube to learn strategies but they still seem to manage it so effortlessly while I still suck hard, regardless of wether I play on normal or hard.

I need a Jedi master or someone. Somebody please make me your padawan, I'm going fucking crazy. ;w;

Also:

kgCd8Re.png

kill me plz

Fact: RTS is the only genre that's actually difficult. You've just become overly used to casual games, and garnered a false sense of your own skills :v

Really, though. RTS games are hard. It's why they're not very popular these days. I still recommend you give Starcraft II a try. A real try. For some reason I feel you'd enjoy it a lot if you gave it a good chance.

Starcraft is one of, if not the best RTS out there. Outside of that though, Starcraft has the biggest community out of any other RTS around. You'd be able to find more people able to give advice and help out. And trust me - the Starcraft community is surprisingly willing to help each other to learn and improve. Not forgetting to mention all the good streamers that can also be super helpful!

For RTS games though, the best method of improving is to just... practice. And have fun. Like with any thing!

Also - fk ponies

Edited by Hewge

That's not a bad thing. If they're good games then there will be tons of guides and community support for them. What games do you play?

I've been obsessing over the Command & Conquer series 'cause that was the RTS I played the most as a kid before I just kinda lost interest in the genre and stuck to console games.

I did beat the first one but fuck me is was it hard. I'm on Red Alert now and I think it's the 5th or 6th mission that is driving me fucking crazy. >w<

C&C GENERALS IS BEST C&C

Really? I was only going to play the freeware ones 'cause they're the only games that strike me as remotely interesting... well, maybe also C&C3 and Red Alert 3 but I'm not sure why the spinoffs are interesting? I'm still a n00b to the franchise.

We should all play C&C together, it'll be fun.

But how, C&C isn't on Steam and origin blows chunks. CnCnet, maybe?

Really? I was only going to play the freeware ones 'cause they're the only games that strike me as remotely interesting... well, maybe also C&C3 and Red Alert 3 but I'm not sure why the spinoffs are interesting? I'm still a n00b to the franchise.

C&C:G was just really well made. I admit I'm not much of a C&C vet to say why it's so great but other than that I think Red Alert 2 is the most popular one.

Can you even digitally download it anywhere...

I have my physical copy with Zero Hour. That's 4 discs!

Can you even digitally download it anywhere...

Tiberian Dawn (original CNC), Red Alert and Tiberian Sun are freeware and can be found here: http://cnc-comm.com or cncnet.org.

Red Alert 2 is a bit trickier but currently it's an On The House Deal on EA's origin story... but that also means it's the hardest game to run rofl.

Sadly it won't make me suck less at the campaign in the C&C games because it's not authentic to the originals but otherwise it seems like a cool app, yeah. Even has Dune 2000 which is a bit hard for me to run in Wine (I'm a Mac user).

Edited by Kellie Gator

Well, because Hewge won't stop pestering me about it I'm trying to download the free version of Starcraft II... which is apparently 20gb holy fucking shit.

I should upgrade my hard drive someday but SSDs are pricey and I got cons and name changes to worry about. ;w;

...and now we're back to the pony pic in the first post.

I just stick to Advance Wars and Fire Emblem, but only because Fire Emblem is just Advance Wars with swords. I can't do strategy honestly. Typically, I just don't find them fun at all, but I was never too good at the tactical sort of strategy.

I get booty blasted by Advance Wars though.

I'm Swedish so I guess we're good to go. :3

My battle.net is kelliegator

Ah cool, what's your # number on the end?

If you're willing to deal with me we can also suck together. :3 

Also the best way to play is to just select all units and attack command the enemy base. 

1. Press F2
2. Hold shift and select all miners
3. Press A
4. Click somewhere around the enemy base
5. ???
6. Cry

• Like 1

So I just tried Starcraft II, it was actually kind of awesome but I dunno how I'm supposed to memorize everything since all three factions work differently and the game in general has a more complex system than the old 90's RTSes I'm used to playing. :S

Yessss! I told you! Like others have said, just pick a race you think you'd like, and play it a lot! Check out their forums for advice and guides. I'd recommend checking this guide out.

Also - That feel when you were the one preaching Starcraft, but end up not being able to play with anyone. I'd get like 500ms on the EU servers :[

Original starcraft or gtfo plz

I have fond memories of command and conquer when it originally came out. Flame tanks, full motion video mission briefings, scorpions and lazers. And never forget the lowly technician, with whom i once finished a mission because the only living enemy was a harvester that was out of tiberium to go after. Also try total annihalation or supreme commander. 

I have fond memories of command and conquer when it originally came out. Flame tanks, full motion video mission briefings, scorpions and lazers. And never forget the lowly technician, with whom i once finished a mission because the only living enemy was a harvester that was out of tiberium to go after. Also try total annihalation or supreme commander. 

On a related note I can recommend Zero-K, it's basically a great open-source RTS similar to Supreme Commander but it has additional features such as terraforming.

Unlike SC2 it also has great controls: you can put buildings and units on repeat order (great for repeat building units), line/formation movement (no more clicking 50 times to get your units to un-ball themselves), easy line/block designations of mass building sites, etc.

But do not try Planetary Annihilation, and not because it's hard :S  Glad to see someone else played TA, was beginning to feel like the only one

What is wrong with PA? Most fun I've had with an RTS in years. The expansion fixed a lot of problems it had, I'll admit.

• Like 1

What is wrong with PA? Most fun I've had with an RTS in years. The expansion fixed a lot of problems it had, I'll admit.

Oh has it?  I only played vanilla from the beta for a few months after; I didn't want to spend more money on it for fear of further disappointment, I might look into it, thanks.

Oh has it?  I only played vanilla from the beta for a few months after; I didn't want to spend more money on it for fear of further disappointment, I might look into it, thanks.

Yeah, the Titans they added made it easier to assault people who are turtling, thus making it so that the end-game doesn't just turn into a constant nuke fest.

Yeah, the Titans they added made it easier to assault people who are turtling, thus making it so that the end-game doesn't just turn into a constant nuke fest.

Ah right, bit like the Krogoth from TA huh?  Takes ages to build and only possible without being harassed

Ah right, bit like the Krogoth from TA huh?  Takes ages to build and only possible without being harassed

Dude the krogoth is so op'd its insane

Thats why i build 2

This is only possible on core prime maps though cuz everything is metal

That and every last advanced construction vehicle i possess

So I'm trying to learn how to play as the Protoss in Starcraft II and what I don't get is how you're supposed to spawn so many units in such a short time, because warping takes fucking forever and so does building units.

Like, multiplayer has a training section where I'm told to do everything within the time span of 13-15 minutes and I'm like WHAT THE FUCK I CAN'T EVEN MAKE A DOZEN UNITS IN THAT TIME AND DON'T TELL ME I'M SUPPOSED TO MAKE MORE WARP GATES BECAUSE THE WARP GATES TAKE FOREVER TO BUILD TOO AUGH.

Being a newbie sucks.

I want to get it but I'm trying to save up for a con and it's really overpriced on battle.net which is the only way I can get it 'cause my computer doesn't have a disc drive. :[

@Kellie Gator Build more Warp Gates, dammit! AND DON'T FORGET THE PYLONS ! ! !

Actually here's a tip you may or may not know; warping in your units at Pylons that are near your Warp Gates and Nexus will warp your units in 2 seconds; Where as warping in at a Pylon not near these two structures will cause units to take 16 seconds to warp in. Consider this to be an "Empowered" affect - Pylons near these structures have an Empowered warp field, so they allow faster warp-in times. Otherwise? Slow as fk.

- Warping in units underneath a Warp Prism will also warp them in only 2 seconds.

P.S: Training mode is much, much slower than actual games. I think there's three speeds - Normal (training mode speed), Fast (slightly faster than Normal) and Faster (the actual speed you will be playing the game at).
This may be why things feel like they take a long time to build for you!

@Kellie Gator Build more Warp Gates, dammit! AND DON'T FORGET THE PYLONS ! ! !

Actually here's a tip you may or may not know; warping in your units at Pylons that are near your Warp Gates and Nexus will warp your units in 2 seconds; Where as warping in at a Pylon not near these two structures will cause units to take 16 seconds to warp in. Consider this to be an "Empowered" affect - Pylons near these structures have an Empowered warp field, so they allow faster warp-in times. Otherwise? Slow as fk.

- Warping in units underneath a Warp Prism will also warp them in only 2 seconds.

P.S: Training mode is much, much slower than actual games. I think there's three speeds - Normal (training mode speed), Fast (slightly faster than Normal) and Faster (the actual speed you will be playing the game at).
This may be why things feel like they take a long time to build for you!

Hehe, I'd been telling her about those yesterday, training 3 goes at full speed with all the utilities.

Dude the krogoth is so op'd its insane

Thats why i build 2

This is only possible on core prime maps though cuz everything is metal

That and every last advanced construction vehicle i possess

Ever tried any of the mods?  I forget which one it is but it allows for 1440p res and another two tiers of buildings/units, super moho metal extractors are a life saver on the grassy planets xD

Edited by Zytan

You know what really grinds my gears about Starcraft II?

Idle. Workers. Seriously, the fact that you constantly gotta keep them in check with queued commands or whatever is fucking dumb, don't the stupid Protoss probes have the AI to figure out themselves how to harvest minerals?

For fuck's sake, the harvesters in DUNE FUCKING 2 FROM THE EARLY 90'S FIGURED THIS OUT. WHY ARE YOU SO RETARDED, BLIZZARD?

You know what really grinds my gears about Starcraft II?

Idle. Workers. Seriously, the fact that you constantly gotta keep them in check with queued commands or whatever is fucking dumb, don't the stupid Protoss probes have the AI to figure out themselves how to harvest minerals?

For fuck's sake, the harvesters in DUNE FUCKING 2 FROM THE EARLY 90'S FIGURED THIS OUT. WHY ARE YOU SO RETARDED, BLIZZARD?

And if they ran off to harvest after every little action it'd take longer to do the thing you want :P Just slap nexus relay points on the minerals and mash F1