Terminally obsessed since birth

Vallium

Yup...I have animal, particularly canid, obsession. Im sure you all know, why else would I be here?

It all started in the 90's back when I was a wee lad and got me first dog. Sure, I cant remember much, but I remember enough.

You know how annoying kids are with obsessions like watching the same movie 1938273 times or only talking about one thing. That was me. I had stuffed animals. I watched dog/animal movies. I plyed dog games. I wore clothes with dogs on it. In Elementary school when we played house I was the dog. I only drew dogs. Dogs dogs dogs.

Yeah, I was that kind of kid. Youd probably hate me as much as I hate me (well...except I was a recluse so nobody really cared until they started talking to me, hurrdurr).

Even in learning I learned everything I could about dogs. I watched AKC dog shows on animal planet because I needed to know every single kind of purebred dog ever. At one point my interest shifted to wolves due to being the alpha canid of canids (it shifted to huskies briefly because it was like having a domestic wolf, as wolves dont make good pets, naturally).

Kid me sucked. I realized what an obsessed loser I was so I cooled down in middle school. Didnt draw as much, didnt focus on it as much...because it wasnt cool to be that much of a dork despite the fact that dorkness runs in my blood and I was still a reclusive, naive dork anyways.

So you know what? Everything came back full circle, full blown. I drew more animals more. I have tons of dopey animal shirts. I joined a community full of obsessed dorks who pretend to be animals for fun for some reason...guess a wolf never changes it's patterns, eh?

My obsession is eternal there is no escape, can we all agree to go to furry anonymous to get rid of this awful malady together?

• Like 2

My obsession is eternal there is no escape, can we all agree to go to furry anonymous to get rid of this awful malady together?

''Hi I'm V4 and I'm obsessed with dogs''

''Hi V4''

I've been around animals most of my life. When I was a kid I had two dogs and then later my family had a fuck ton of them. I had a beagle and a chow. The chow was maybe the best dog I ever had and my brother murdered the beagle. I only have a plant now. I'm just happy to be able to see the deer, raccoons, opossums, and other animals at night. I don't honestly understand furries. I get that you're obsessed but I'm not sure why. For me it's a passive appreciation of how diverse life is. 

As far as real animals go, I LOVE CATS. I LOVE EVERY KIND OF CAT. But in more of a way that I can get by fine until I see a cat and I must make friends, or if people start talking about pets- or family, I must talk about my cat and how much I adore her.

But when I was a kid I used to be all about dinosaurs and like you, I'd be learning all I could about them. Even to this day the amount of stupidly complicated fucking dinosaur names I can remember astounds me (and I can't remember all the complicated anatomy names I have to learn, why couldn't I have been obsessed with human anatomy and physiology as a kid and know everything there is to know about everything anatomy by now?). I don't get it at all, I don't get why kids can be like this.

Edited by Alexxx-Returns

was always an animal lover, probably more into it than most (i was the kid who chose "ocelot" for charades and the teacher had to whisper it to the other kids so my turn would be over... i figured this out when they started guessing "astronaut" while i crawled around acting like a cat), but i don't think i ever obsessed that hard over anything. 

"since birth"

Man, that must have been a shitty hospital to allow dogs in the maternity ward.

I used to be obsessed with cats, but it tapered off as I got older.
Now I'm just obsessed with shitty men that could kill me.

"since birth"

Man, that must have been a shitty hospital to allow dogs in the maternity ward.

I used to be obsessed with cats, but it tapered off as I got older.
Now I'm just obsessed with shitty men that could kill me.

I mean it must be genetic, its the only explanation and I dont think science has found the gene responsible yet

I don't know why I'm into this fandom so much. Everyone else here seems to be so confident that they know exactly where it stemmed from, and while I'd like to say that the furry fandom is only something I found and learned to like, I think I'd be wrong.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon must've done something to me. I (slightly shamefully) used to enjoy pretending to be the pokemon from the game with my friends.

I remember once seeing my friend playing The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, playing as Wolf Link. Even at the time, I felt a bit shameful about finding the idea of playing as a wolf that was imprisoned really exciting. I'd act the scenes out in my head. 

When I was younger, I'd run around the playground by myself, just imagining fantasy worlds. It made my parents kind of concerned, because whilst my brother would immediately go up to a group of friends at the start of school, I'd just.. run around and pretend to use psychic powers to make sentient carrot people explode.

• Like 1