Ark - aka "Pokemon for Adults"

Kinare

Cuz dinosaurs are more mature or some such.

The thread I made on FaF had no replies I think... But perhaps you guys have gotten cooler since then!

Have had the game since release and really enjoyed it, then after about 200 hours I got bored cuz my server couldn't find enough people to pvp and eventually that's all there is to do. Stopped playing for a couple months because of having nothing to do. Then we decided to wipe the server as a few new peeps were coming in to play and the new biomes screwed with existing stuffs, plus some other new content, so have been playing again somewhat solidly rebuilding and making baby dinos.

Would be leet if my server could get some peeps for pvp or even to attend server events if we decided to have them again. Server is set to pve right now and the dinos are made tougher to make pve more of a challenge, but they recently added tribe wars for pve servers so you can actually declare war on a tribe and turn on pvp between just you and them for a set time, so that's pretty neat.

If anyone would like to join us, you can add me on Steam and I'll hook you up with deets. Character and dino downloads are enabled for now.

It looks alright. It reminds me of Stomping Land, from what little I saw in the videos.

Idk if it's something that would interest me enough to go out of my way for it, though.
And certainly not enough to do the mmo element because meh. Only I'm allowed to piss in my sandboxes.

I watched 3 minutes of gameplay and I was bored to tears within the first 5 seconds. What's the saving grace/kick in this game? Cause from what I seen, it looks like a poor man's videogame. 

If it truly bored you that quick, either the video you saw was shit or survival games and the idea of taming and living around dinosaurs just isn't for you and there's no point in me trying to sell it to you. =p Survival SIMs aren't for everyone.

It looks alright. It reminds me of Stomping Land, from what little I saw in the videos.

And certainly not enough to do the mmo element because meh. Only I'm allowed to piss in my sandboxes.

SL flopped over dead with little content in it, so I'm glad I didn't waste my money on it, and I love survival games so that should say something. At least with Ark there's been constant active development and they're so far sticking to their deadline. They're looking pretty damn good right now and on track to be the first survival game to actually make it out of EA. Anyone skeptical may want to wait, though.

As for the MMO element: you can just play locally by yourself. If you want to play with others that you trust, just a find a server with settings you like (pretty much every setting can be customized) and hop on that. You can also host a server yourself if you really want to, though because of the amount of patches it's an extreme pain and I'd only recommend that if you're really familiar with hosting a server yourself.

Edited by Kinare

After about 200 hours when you've built a really nice base and collected all the dinos you want, yeah, nothing left to do without pvp. 200 hours though is quite a bit. Of course, if building and taming and breeding dinos does not seem extremely interesting you might only get half of that. Still, 100 hours of game for $30 (goes in sale often too for a bit less) is a good deal I think.

It supports modding as well, so you can get some really cool mods for even more fun. Two of my favorites for making my base look sexy are the glass building and planting mods. Also have a castle sort of mod, but havent mucked with that yet. People are making maps too, some look like they might be neat once done. I wanted to make a map for my server because we want some special areas for things, but haven't got around to learning how to do so yet.

Edited by Kinare

I got it on early access quickly and then refunded it. I knew it was early access and what I was getting into, just not that it'd be in Early Access in that much of an unplayable state, so I bought something else and forgot what it was.

How does it hold up these days? I might grab it again since its been a good few months.

I just prefer to eat a meal that doesn't come off the dollar menu, advertised as "Chef Choice Cuisine".

Nothing cheap about it, better quality than most games out there, so I'm unsure if there's a genuine argument you're hiding in there or just trolling cuz you're bored. If you have an actual complaint with the quality of the game it'd be cool of you to discuss that for others reading the thread and for me to have a chance to correct you. :3 Or maybe even agree with you, because the game isn't perfect for sure, I just don't feel like you're being fair simply because it's not your cup of tea.

How does it hold up these days? I might grab it again since its been a good few months.

Yeah, launch and for a while after was very, very rough... It's a ton better now. Still not 100% where it needs to be tbh, but more than playable, unless you have an absolute trash machine. My machine isn't the highest but probably better than average and I can play it just fine on epic settings (w/ 0 sky quality), getting a good solid 30+ fps in all situations. It has fps spikes every so often during fights, that's my only complaint. Anything lower than high looks pretty gross still, so if you barely exceed the min requirements for it I might say wait some more.

Except that's not the truth, that's just trolling, else you definitely watched the wrong videos if you saw any sucking of monkey dildos.

So you're saying someone's opinion of a game is false and trolling because you said so? A person can't have an opinion of their own that's negative because it'd be considered trolling? Aw yew sewius?

So you're saying someone's opinion of a game is false and trolling because you said so? A person can't have an opinion of their own that's negative because it'd be considered trolling? Aw yew sewius?

I'm saying if you can't make a constructive remark it's kinda clear you're just here to cause a problem and not much more, especially when you're asked for an example of why you think it's bad and then continue to avoid giving specifics and just throw insults.

You're entitled to your opinion, regardless of how baseless it is, but you can't expect not to be questioned on it and I will continue to question you on it until you drop specifics or stop posting. ^^

I do wish you'd go back to being that cool Croc you were before you took a break from FAF. I used to enjoy reading your posts because they had legit content, even if somewhat snappy. Now they're pretty much just baseless garbage. What happened?

Edited by Kinare
  • Like 1

I'm saying if you can't make a constructive remark it's kinda clear you're just here to cause a problem and not much more, especially when you're asked for an example of why you think it's bad and then continue to avoid giving specifics and just throw insults.

You're entitled to your opinion, regardless of how baseless it is, but you can't expect not to be questioned on it and I will continue to question you on it until you drop specifics or stop posting. ^^

I do wish you'd go back to being that cool Croc you were before you took a break from FAF. I used to enjoy reading your posts because they had legit content, even if somewhat snappy. Now they're pretty much just baseless garbage. What happened?

Because the game doesn't deserve more than a 140 character response from me.

Owned.

I really don't know why you would promote a game that is in early access. Considering there's risk with those types of games. Especially since there's a lot of games on steam that is early access Kinare.

Only promotion I've been doing is saying I like it, that its better than it was, and that its on track to be the first of its genre to make it out of EA. I'm not being unrealistic there I don't think. It's not like I'm preaching that it's the best game ever, because it's not, but it is up there on the list of best survival games imo.

Yeah, there's lots of games in EA. Most don't make it out or sit in it forever and it's sad. Some of those same games though have been a lot of fun, so it doesn't bug me so much. I've been lucky enough to only buy one flop (Maia) and every EA title I own (which is quite a few) has given me my money's worth and then some. I'm content with my purchases.

I wish Steam had higher standards for EA games that choose to charge money or offered refunds when development slowed way down. That's not the case, so you really just have to look at it like "will I get my money's worth here" and if not sure, don't buy. ^^ So far so good for me.

The game deserves more than a 140 character response from me.

Thanks, I agree it does. I just wish you'd give up those characters instead of being so cranky and witholding. Stop holding out on me, yo!

Edited by Kinare

Pokemon sucks.

Grrr

I'd argue that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games are fantastic with regards to gameplay complexity(dealing with hunger and careful move usage while preparing appropriate teams for appropriate dungeons, while bringing in proper items with your limited inventory space and making sure you use them effectively), high difficulty, and strong story/character focus. Well...at least I can vouch for Red/Blue Rescue Team and Super.

*fights and defeats a LV 50 Salamence while still having Pokemon in their 10s in level on my team*

Edited by Battlechili