Fuck everyone and everything

Harbinger

Fuck Domino's in particular. So they opened a new branch 5 minutes walk from me, and advertised that they were recruiting for that store. Que me applying for said positions at that specific store, so then the manager says the interview will be at the store 20 minutes drive from me because the new store isnt ready yet. So i go to the interview, and get the job by basically filling in the form, no questions asked, the new store manager wasnt even there, it was that ones manager who had just been told i was showing up, no details on the days or hours or what the job would actually entail.

Then the new store manager told me that i would be working at the far away store "just for a couple of days for training" before moving to the new store. Fast forward a week and i find out the store since opened and that they were overstaffed and no longer needed me so i would be staying at the far away store. So seeing as i have no transport on my own and had to rely on my parents taking me to the far away from every day and having to hear them ranting at me to hurry up and get a car and drive each and every trip, i quit seeing as they flat out lied to me and put me in a position i didnt apply for.

So ever since then my parents have been having a major go at me for quitting a job even though the job wasnt even the one i applied for and it forced them to reluctantly take me every night. I've only ever left one other job which i just walked away from after a major shout off with the boss after 9 months of verbal abuse and bullying knowing they were going to fire me after the summer anyhow, and it looks better quitting a job than waiting to get fired. So my parents are telling me off for "keep quitting jobs" even though the job before this last one i was made redundant. I've also been banned from gaming like a 12 year old because i quit my job, and after saying how dumb that was on my private FB feed they find out and tell me to take it down, again, as if im 12 fucking years old.

inb4 "Gee, just move out Harb" > implying i dont want to already and i have the money to do that.

I already browse job sites like Monster and Reed, i've gone to town several times and handed in CVs to everywhere that was recruiting not to mention to registering with each job agency available. So was i being unreasonable  quitting that last job?

Or should i have stayed, letting my parents take me every night as soon as they themselves got in from work and having them moan at me each way whilst not being able to start driving lessons.

Edited by Harbinger

Just now, Saxon said:

Saving up for a car, or to rent an apartment closer to the job, could be ideas. Is it possible to get the job back?

Heh, saving up for a car with a job at Domino's? He'd be running the entire business by the time he can afford one. Get some service cards for public transport, assuming you can. Over here, you can usually get unlimited travel for a set fee a month, or a hefty discount. 

• Like 1

The branch i was lied into working at wasnt along any bus routes, and i had to be there for 5, and my parents come home from work at quarter to five or up to 6 depending on the day, how fuck could i have made it up there. The question was more rhetorical, any opinion saying i should have stayed and magic'd a way of getting up there daily is a wrong one.

maybe get good experience in something you like and work hard in so you dont have to deal with getting fired or having to quit awful jobs.

If you find one closeby, bike/walk there. You just have to keep looking, man.

I definitely understand how annoying it is to have to get rides to work from your parents, though. Not fun. But you should have learned to deal temporarily until you couldve at least reached some goal, like two months on the job tops with payments.

Then you can quit and have those justifications there, but at least you tried.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

how far away was it? like was it an hour away by car or what?

but yeah, it was kind of a bad decision to just up and quit. did you try working anything out with management or tell them that you didn't have reliable transportation. even then, as reluctant as your parents may have been, at least they still took you

5 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Do you just want us to yell you that you're justified in your chosen state of unemployment?

that's essentially what he's saying

3 minutes ago, willow said:

but yeah, it was kind of a bad decision to just up and quit. did you try working anything out with management or tell them that you didn't have reliable transportation.

Considering how he already described management and the mix-up to begin with, sounds like they would apologize and say he wouldnt be a right fit and let him go. I doubt they care that much being some large chain store.

Although...it was worth a shot to have tried to mention working something out before quitting.

10 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Considering how he already described management and the mix-up to begin with, sounds like they would apologize and say he wouldnt be a right fit and let him go. I doubt they care that much being some large chain store.

Although...it was worth a shot to have tried to mention working something out before quitting.

they'd probably give him less hours before they outright fire him but it would have been worth at least trying.

edit: I have my own rant about Domino's. why the fuck do my two medium, two topping pizzas for $5.99 each still ring out to $20??

Edited by willow

My parents took me over the week over christmas and new years, but once they were back to work they couldnt take me anyway, my job started at 5pm, they finish their jobs give or take a few minutes at 5pm.

The store i applied for which the position was labeled for was 5 minutes walk, the branch they moved me to was 20 minutes drive.

And lol "lol chosen state of unemployment", they said i couldnt change hours, you really think they would have kept me on once i couldnt make it up there? I discussed it and there wasnt any flexibility.

5 hours ago, Kaedal said:

Heh, saving up for a car with a job at Domino's? He'd be running the entire business by the time he can afford one. Get some service cards for public transport, assuming you can. Over here, you can usually get unlimited travel for a set fee a month, or a hefty discount.

He could check some local listings for someone selling a car for a reasonable price.

That's an upsetting situation. I'm gonna go against what everyone else said and say I don't think you were wrong to quit; it doesn't seem like anything was going to work out in your favor; no public transportation, no way of changing shifts, etc. You did what you could.

Truth is you don't ever have to put it on a resume in the future if you don't want, and if you do and people ask why you quit, well the answer "It turns out that the job I applied for was not the position I was put in, and we could not work out a viable solution for all parties" is a pretty reasonable one. That's all you have to say to future employers and they'll understand. 

Edited by Zydala
typo

6 hours ago, Clove Darkwave said:

Well...

It looks bad to a potential employer that you quit right after being hired on to a job, and it's always better to be moving from one job to another rather than being a part of the unemployed mass. So you did kind of shoot yourself in the foot.

You never put a job exp like that on your resume

Last summer I worked at a workshop of the provincial transport ministry this summer as a diesel mechanic apprentice. This particular location was 50km away for a 45 minutes drive. Although I already have a car and my license, I didn't spend as much as I thought I would. Only C$45 or gas per week, not that bad! Gotta love my Tercel for its fuel consumption!

But yeah, the logistics were clearly not on your side on this one! If you ever get asked about this, tell the truth, nothing more, nothing less. It's always viewed negatively to flame a previous employer, but taking the blame for something that's not your fault isn't very wise either. You took what was initially a local job, but you unexpectedly got relocated too far away with no practical means of transporting yourself to and from the location.

But more often than not you don't even need to mention the jobs you were at for a very short time. It's doesn't leave a massive hole in your resume and chances are nobody will ever get to know about it. The golden rule with resumés is not to LIE. But leaving things out isn't. :P I did it myself after I got a job in a local electrical supply warehouse. The problem over there wasn't the distance but the boss. He was almost yelling at me all the time because I was never fast enough. Being a sensitive bitch person who doesn't perform well in tense work environments, I managed to make it to the end of the first week almost by miracle. It's not in my resumé and not leaving any hole, nobody knows about it.