Do furries have crappy lives?

#00Buck

Just look at the Rants and Raves section.

In the top ten topics all are rants except for one rave which is a Rassah bragging thread.

They include such titles as: 

I'm ugly and nobody will date me.

and

Fuck everything and everyone. 

I mean come on people. 

Just now, #00Buck said:

Yeah, but how much complaining is there about working minimum wage, living in your mom's basement, your dog dying, getting molested etc. 

I bet that forum does not even have one tenth of the dysfunction that this one does. 

Not much,I mean you see the average 'life troubles' post on occasion but nothing super interesting. Ya know 'wah, my girlfriend broke up with me' or 'I took compsci because I like computers but it turns out I suck at math, what do I do!' and too frequent 'I'm 15, how do I earn the $5000 necessary to build the greatest gaming PC ever!?'.

I think furry communities are often more 'personal' to more users so they're more likely to open up, but I have nothing to back that up.

1 minute ago, PastryOfApathy said:

That's because you're purposely ignoring everything everyone's saying and just repeating "lol all ur lives suk" while people waste time trying to explain things to you.

No. You said yourself your life sucked. So did several others. In fact most people in this thread said their lives sucked.

The only ones who didn't are older people and Hewge. That's it. 

Just now, #00Buck said:

In the top ten topics all are rants except for one rave which is a Rassah bragging thread.

and

I mean come on people. 

Are you saying the board dedicated to venting about your personal problems and bitching is filled with personal problems and bitching?

HOLY SHIT!

• Like 4

Just now, #00Buck said:

and

I mean come on people. 

Community. Forums. Are. Different. From. Hobby. Forums.

You don't see any of that type of stuff in the tech section. Or the gaming section. Or the music section.

Most forums don't have a place for people to express personal issues. If they did, you'd see a lot more of it.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

Not much,I mean you see the average 'life troubles' post on occasion but nothing super interesting. Ya know 'wah, my girlfriend broke up with me' or 'I took compsci because I like computers but it turns out I suck at math, what do I do!' and too frequent 'I'm 15, how do I earn the $5000 necessary to build the greatest gaming PC ever!?'.

I think furry communities are often more 'personal' to more users so they're more likely to open up, but I have nothing to back that up.

I find the outdoor forums much the same. 

People may have normal complaints about life but not the earth shatteringly bad stuff that people here experience. 

Are you saying the board dedicated to venting about your personal problems and bitching is filled with personal problems and bitching?

HOLY SHIT!

Rants and Raves.

Dedicated to good things and bad thing.

This community focuses on bad things. 

1 minute ago, Lucyfish said:

Community. Forums. Are. Different. From. Hobby. Forums.

You don't see any of that type of stuff in the tech section. Or the gaming section. Or the music section.

Most forums don't have a place for people to express personal issues. If they did, you'd see a lot more of it.

Outdoors forums are communities.

How else do people meet up to participate in their hobbies? 

If hobby forums had more community-like boards or sub forums like gaiaonline, you'd see a lot of "personal" problems. Gaiaonline is what FaF/PaFF is with the exception that it caters more to the anime community and it is inhabited by mostly 13-18 year olds.

If you browse the Lifestyle Discussion, you won't see as many problem threads, but they are there. 

• Like 1

Just now, #00Buck said:

No. You said yourself your life sucked. So did several others. In fact most people in this thread said their lives sucked.

The only ones who didn't are older people and Hewge. That's it. 

You ignored literally everything after that. I never denied anything.

I'm not gonna bother arguing anymore since my carpal tunnel is acting up and I need to finish some drawings for @Zerig and @Lucyfish. I don't know if you're trolling, willfully ignorant or simply autistic but goddamn man. Just think about this shit, and if you really hate this place just fucking leave. No one's gonna stop you.

2 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

Outdoors forums are communities.

How else do people meet up to participate in their hobbies? 

Alright, where's that forum's Rants and Raves section? Where do they have a set spot specifically for these types of personal issues and instances?

You see so much of it here on this forum because we have a section specifically open FOR it. When you have a spot in your forum for bitching about life, people are gonna use it. If you don't, people are typically going to keep to themselves.

2 minutes ago, Zeke said:

If hobby forums had more community-like boards or sub forums like gaiaonline, you'd see a lot of "personal" problems. Gaiaonline is what FaF/PaFF is with the exception that it caters more to the anime community and it is inhabited by mostly 13-18 year olds.

THERE IS NO BITCHFEST QUITE LIKE GAIAONLINE BRUH

It is known, Khaleesi.

• Like 1

Though one problem on this forum is that those that make their 'sad' posts, largely are making poor decisions.  Letting what spare money they have slip through their fingers, quitting jobs, staying in destructive relationships, both quitting and sticking with school (This one depends on circumstance) and a lot like that.  People want things to be 'better' but either don't listen or don't have access to the resources necessary to try and get on top of things.

You ignored literally everything after that. I never denied anything.

I'm not gonna bother arguing anymore since my carpal tunnel is acting up and I need to finish some drawings for @Zerig and @Lucyfish. I don't know if you're trolling, willfully ignorant or simply autistic but goddamn man. Just think about this shit, and if you really hate this place just fucking leave. No one's gonna stop you.

I just posed the question in the thread title. 

You have helped provide the answer. Most people on this forum including yourself are miserable people with awful lives. 

Alright, where's that forum's Rants and Raves section? Where do they have a set spot specifically for these types of personal issues and instances?

You see so much of it here on this forum because we have a section specifically open FOR it. When you have a spot in your forum for bitching about life, people are gonna use it. If you don't, people are typically going to keep to themselves.

Most hobby forums are big strings or raves about how great things are. Some people make complaints about things. Most forms have at least one "off topics" section where anything goes. This includes bitching about life etc. Yet you only get the normal complains. Wife won't let me buy the new fishing rod etc. 

Just now, PastryOfApathy said:

1096 posts.

Hmmm...

You can count. That's something to be proud of!

See your life isn't so bad after all. 

Just now, #00Buck said:

Wife won't let me buy the new fishing rod etc. 

That sounds like an issue that an older person would have, not a young person. Again furthering my point that being furry has nothing to do with the fact that being young is difficult. :U

Just now, Lucyfish said:

That sounds like an issue that an older person would have, not a young person. Again furthering my point that being furry has nothing to do with the fact that being young is difficult. :U

I was young. It wasn't that difficult. 

Same with my friends. 

I think you find being young difficult. I think Pastry finds being young difficult. I think people like you have gravitated here and all like feeling like being young is difficult as a group. This place is like a magnet for people like you. 

That seems to be the answer to the question. Furry attracts people with major problems. 

Gotta go watch someone cook food. 

Peace I'm out. 

Just now, #00Buck said:

I was young. It wasn't that difficult. 

Same with my friends.

Congratulations, you've officially discovered what a "minority" is. Just because you had a good childhood doesn't mean most people do.

And of course people with hardships are going to gravitate to each other. It's kind of a lot easier to deal with problems with friends than it is alone.

Congratulations, you've officially discovered what a "minority" is. Just because you had a good childhood doesn't mean most people do.

And of course people with hardships are going to gravitate to each other. It's kind of a lot easier to deal with problems with friends than it is alone.

No. That's what this forum is. 

The forum is a tiny minority of a niche fandom. 

It just happens that the majority of people in this fandom seem miserable. 

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Is it Alton Brown? :3

Even better. 

Just now, #00Buck said:

No. That's what this forum is. 

The forum is a tiny minority of a niche fandom. 

It just happens that the majority of people in this fandom seem miserable. 

And the majority of people outside the fandom are miserable.

All that shows is that furries are normal people, lol.

isnt it a bit tactless to be bringing up specific, although unmentioned, example instances personal issues other people opened up to like personal trauma/abuse, failure and being unsure about education or jobs, and general mental health and going 'lol furries!' about it?

18 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

There's a tech forum I hang out on elsewhere.  Most of the posts are not that interesting, but every week or so someone is like 'How much is my brand new high end PC worth!?  Because I just built it but now I have to sell it to make rent money!' or something similar.  I always wonder how those short sighted purchases happen. O.o

to be fair, stuff happens. I've had friends that budget for certain things but then something stupid comes up or something happens that throws their plans off. it's usually things like they didn't get paid like they were supposed to or they underestimated

Just now, Lucyfish said:

Actually they aren't. I think you and pastry want to be convinced that your level of misery is normal.

It isn't normal and it isn't healthy. 

Most people outside of the fandom have good and bad days but overall are usually happy.

Just now, #00Buck said:

Actually they aren't. I think you and pastry want to be convinced that your level of misery is normal.

It isn't normal and it isn't healthy. 

Most people outside of the fandom have good and bad days but overall are usually happy.

Actually it is very normal, lol.

Go walk downtown sometime. You'll see way more of way worse.

3 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

Actually, while everyone faces adversity at some times, the majority of people, the 'normal people' live mostly UNREMARKABLE lives most of the time.  Just, ya know, working, schooling, loving, eating, sleeping, playing, and more of all of that,

Just now, Lucyfish said:

Actually it is very normal, lol.

Go walk downtown sometime. You'll see way more of way worse.

No. Homeless people are not normal or average. 

A very small part of the population are homeless. 

Most people have some place to live.

BTW I've met a lot of homeless and borderline homeless people who are happy and have a lot of things they enjoy in their lives. 

That's the one thing I've noticed about online social media groups, is that it does seem to be a form of escapism for some.

As for myself, life is pretty good and when I need a place to just cut loose, online social media groups like the furry fandom seems like a good bet to just let it out. 

But what you see isn't just specific to the furry fandom, no, I actually quit Facebook because of depressing shit I used to see on it.

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Save for times when I feel the need to let it all out, life is great. I work at a library and the only thing I deal with on a regular basis are people who steal bibles

Thats pretty ironic

1 hour ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

Garth is a Surgeon/Medical Practitioner

I'm a Chef

Yellow_Fox is an Engineer

Muln is a Bank Supervisor.

I think we're good

Arent all of you older folk greymuzzle types? ...and Garth is late twenties if I recall.

That makes sense from an age group stance. I guess people in their teens and twenties are trying to cope and survive with life and reach some sense of stability

Just now, #00Buck said:

No. Homeless people are not normal or average. 

A very small part of the population are homeless. 

Most people have some place to live.

BTW I've met a lot of homeless and borderline homeless people who are happy and have a lot of things they enjoy in their lives. 

Did I say homeless people? Just people in general have terrible lives, homeless or not. Not to mention the percentage of homeless has only increased each year, with a huge chunk of those being young people. About 39% of homeless people are under the age of 18, with about 40% of those young people being LGBT. There are tons and tons of causes for young people to suffer in life, and being furry really isn't one of them. The fact that the furry fandom is more popular with younger people is why you see so much struggle and depression among it.

I've never been turned down from a job for being furry, but I have been turned down for my age and for my being transgender.

3 minutes ago, Lucyfish said:

Did I say homeless people? Just people in general have terrible lives, homeless or not. Not to mention the percentage of homeless has only increased each year, with a huge chunk of those being young people. About 39% of homeless people are under the age of 18, with about 40% of those young people being LGBT. There are tons and tons of causes for young people to suffer in life, and being furry really isn't one of them. The fact that the furry fandom is more popular with younger people is why you see so much struggle and depression among it.

I've never been turned down from a job for being furry, but I have been turned down for my age and for my being transgender.

People in general do not have terrible lives.

5 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

Actually Pastry openly admitted he has a crappy life. 

You cited the rants/raves section as a support for your argument, which implies the belief that those who posted rants must be miserable. You're jumping to conclusions.

It's not uncommon for people to vent their frustrations. Venting doesn't mean their life is total shit or that they are legitimately depressed.

Edited by Newt

1 minute ago, Newt said:

You cited the rants/raves section as a support for your argument, which implies the belief that those who posted rants must be miserable. You're jumping to conclusions.

It's also not uncommon for people to vent their frustrations.

Rant = bad.

Rave = good.

90% in the top ten are rants. Speaks for itself.

Just now, Lucyfish said:

Nope, sorry. That's just not the truth at all.

Lucy, most people miserable all the time.  If they were, we wouldn't call that 'miserable', it'd be our baseline or 'Eh, I'm okay' if we were all 'miserable'.  Our metric for 'Miserable' would be something far, far worse.  Most people are just 'meh'.

• Like 1

Lucy, most people miserable all the time.  If they were, we wouldn't call that 'miserable', it'd be our baseline or 'Eh, I'm okay' if we were all 'miserable'.  Our metric for 'Miserable' would be something far, far worse.  Most people are just 'meh'.

Exactly. Most people are average. Not miserable. 

YOUNG. PEOPLE.

I'm talking about a demographic under the age of 30.

Just now, Newt said:

That doesn't mean those people are miserable. You are jumping to conclusions.

I never said they were.

It just indicates that the majority of people here when given the choice of positing a positive thing or a negative thing will post a negative. 

Ohhh... You mean 'Whiney'.  Yeah, you need to look at you spellcheck. ^_^

That's the sort of bullshit attitude that makes it hard for the the younger demographic. They struggle in life, they encounter struggles that the older demographic have not, and when they have trouble dealing with those struggles they get called "whiney" instead of receiving help and advice.

• Like 1