furs of the ancient world

Pignog

As we're all aware furries contribute much to the modern world. They are a cultural powerhouse, their fursuit purchases contribute much to the global economy, and they work at all levels of the socio-economic ladder. But what about furs of the ancient world? What do we know about them? Recent scholarship in anthropology and archeology is currently uncovering the hidden world of ancient furries -- knowledge we once believed lost. I'd like to open the discussion to you guys. Possible topics include (but are not limited to):

• To what extent were Sonic OCs prevalent in Ancient Egypt? How many recolours of Anubis are floating around out there?
  • How were ancient fursuits made? Common sense tells us "with animal fur," but recently unearthed evidence suggests the Aboriginals of North America used maize.
  • Problems and issues with the "great men" of the ancient world. Another gospel has been uncovered which lionizes Christian furs. The Romans were notably against this. Was Jesus crucified for fursecution? Alexander the Great, noted gay man and murderer (not mutually exclusive), conquered much of the known world. But why? Some believe he was looking for the perfect fursona in the Hindu-kush mountains.

Feel free to post relevant resources and enhance our understanding of this important topic. Thank you and god bless.

WARNING: This thread is for serious discussion only!!! I will not hesitate to contact the mods and bring their righteous might down on trolls who shit up my thread!!! If this happens I will literally have a breakdown, literally. My body will turn to tang like it's third impact.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Pignog said:

My body will turn to tang like it's third impact.

That reference. 13/10

d2953-happyexcited.gif.1a0c0fc18d2b2302d

I love you.

OT: Sort of. 

Not really ancient, or furry, but here is a group known as the 'Fox Club' circa 1920's.

IMG_20141122_112806.thumb.jpg.a116cc1711

I saw it in a book. Not much info on this exclusive group.

Edited by Vaer
  • Like 3

RULE UPDATE: Mythological fur talk is acceptable, however I draw the line at forms of transportation. For example, Freyja is not considered furry just because she rides around on a sled driven by cats. But that's a bad example cuz i think she can transform into something?? whatever

3 minutes ago, Saxon said:

A thread posting all the animal-headed stuff we can find from history would be super interesting, actually. 

i made this thread as a joke but i like that it's getting legitimate replies

13 minutes ago, Pignog said:

i can pretty much guarantee some asshole was stroking his weiner and writing an erotic fanfic of Enki in Cuneiform.

14 minutes ago, Barnectomy said:

Well we've all heard about how AIDS came about

Well, people in those days drank the mentrual blood of priestess' to prolong their lives.

So no surprise on AIDS. :v

Edited by Vaer

grev_medico1_w.jpg.16abc737aae130149efda

Plague_doctor_hat_by_tombanwell-d6bzaad.

56a00dfea12a8_DenmarkMuseumplaguemasknew

The plague doctor

Origin: The mask was constructed in the shape of a birds head, as it is believed this warded off evil spirits

Other uses: The beak was filled with strong spelling spice which covered over the scent of rotting flesh and carcasses. Seeing as the doctors worked around harmful situations it also prevented bacterial transmission (I think...assuming any of the pathogens were airborne) Edit: Nay, its because they believed odor is what caused transmission

Not exactly furry...but Im sure even they knew appearing as a human-animal thing was pretty furfaggy enough to scare away normie spirits. Some things never change, eh?

Edited by WolfNightV4X1
  • Like 2

Guennol_Lioness.thumb.jpg.2f7c999794fc80

The Guennol Lioness: A 5,000 year old example of the hyper-muscular fetish and a lioness. That's roughly the same time we estimate the wheel was invented, along with cuniform writing. Sold for $57.2 million in 2007, btw.

If this ain't furry, I don't know what is.

Edited by DrGravitas
More facts
  • Like 6

On 1/20/2016 at 5:41 PM, WolfNightV4X1 said:

grev_medico1_w.jpg.16abc737aae130149efda

Plague_doctor_hat_by_tombanwell-d6bzaad.

56a00dfea12a8_DenmarkMuseumplaguemasknew

The plague doctor

Origin: The mask was constructed in the shape of a birds head, as it is believed this warded off evil spirits

Other uses: The beak was filled with strong spelling spice which covered over the scent of rotting flesh and carcasses. Seeing as the doctors worked around harmful situations it also prevented bacterial transmission (I think...assuming any of the pathogens were airborne) Edit: Nay, its because they believed odor is what caused transmission

Not exactly furry...but Im sure even they knew appearing as a human-animal thing was pretty furfaggy enough to scare away normie spirits. Some things never change, eh?

i luv this and now i understand plagueknight in shovelknight