Phoenix Forums State of the Union 1/31/2016

Zeke

Hey everyone! We wanted to put out a bit of an update post on where things are headed. Ideally, we’re going to start doing these at least bi-monthly for updates on where and when and how and why the forums are going where they are in order to promote transparency, order, and above all some more interaction between us as mods and you as well, the users.

In the past few months, we've had a lot of turbulence between the users and the staff with some of us at each other's throats and frustrated about which way to go, what to do and how to get there. We do want to learn from our mistakes and grow, but keep the same flavor we've had from FAF as a community- and we’re not talking about endless shit-posting, nor are we talking about prim and pristine behavior from everyone, either.  Since we've come along way from FAF, we still want this community to be what it was before the initial collapse and then some, because FAF itself- even in its good ol’ days, had a lot to improve upon.

Before we address the fun things we wanna do around Phoenix, we need to have a sincere chat. Right now, the only active moderators are Zeke and Lemon. Carenaeth needs to focus on addressing the many, many, many bugs and code things around the site, so we’re handling all of the people side of things. 

The way the users have been treating some of the mods is atrocious. Despite what they’ve done or not done, and despite their interactions, they are still people. They are human beings, who volunteered their time to bring you this place that you currently have had the space to bash them in. Our recent thread debacle was the catalyst to yes, bringing on Lemon and Zeke now being able to handle adding more mods and fix things around the site, but the catalyst to turn away folks who did try their best. It was still a huge mess that left the same mods that worked hard to bring you this place to leave out of sheer frustration and anger. They’ll still be around as regular users, and we expect you to treat them as you would any other person on the site- beef with them or not. Let’s please, as a community, put what the previous group of mods did behind us and instead focus on the positivity the new team will bring. We thank them dearly for what they’ve done for the community. 

Going forward, Zeke and Lemon have a lot of things to tackle and handle by themselves prior to being able to add on more mods, (which, we assure you, is one of our biggest priorities). What that means is that we need to get OUR stuff together as mods so that when we do bring more on- and soon- there will be a rhythm to learn and adapt to instead of sitting pretty. Please try to work with us. We want Phoenix to flourish just as much as you do. 

To address Carenaeth’s issues with the site, he sent us the following. 
“[The] short answer is, troubleshooting can be difficult as the issues can be:

• At their computer (browser etc)
  • At their ISP (least likely, but possible)
  •  At Cloudflare (because it caches data, so you might see something working normal and another will see an error)
  •  The code itself difficult to debug, I could setup an empty "staging" copy but if there is a fault, if we change something then we have to apply that change with every update).
  • FAF had a hole that meant a moderator could post raw HTML and could be tricked into enabling it in announcements - opens up an XSS hole that can compromise a mod’s account and trick an admin into browsing the infected page and steal session cookies (they could then login as me without my password). I'm not aware of such a hole in IPB because it doesn't allow posting of HTML anywhere, it even abandoned BBCode in favor of the new editor. I've not checked if it supports Markdown which is a text formatting code similar to Wiki formatting.”

Carenaeth is now on the lookout for someone who can handle to code-y part of the forums to help with the workload so that they can go through with all of the fixes that need to be done. If you know anyone, please contact us. Which brings us to..

THE PHOENIX FORUMS SUPPORT EMAIL! 
>> Phoenix.Forums.Staff@gmail.com <<

In an effort to encourage users being able to contact us when the site goes awry, or for ban appeals, we’ve made an email for you to do just that. In an effort to fix the site, we’ve compiled a doc that’ll aggregate all of the known bugs on site that care can access to. For maximum help, please screenshot the issues in the email, with your in-phoenix username so that we can keep track who what and where. The added benefit of the drive is to have all of these organized folders that hold all of our information for things around the site. 

You can see some sneak peeks as for what’s in store HERE. In instances (if ever) site downtime, updates, and whathaveyou, we have noticed many of you take to twitter for questions and the like.

>> We’ve also made THE PHOENIX FORUMS SUPPORT TWITTER <<

What we're looking to handle going forward as soon as possible

• Rules, infraction system, and consequences to having a set amount of infractions.
  • Recruit more staff from our pool of wonderful users, and if we should have staff dedicated to modding certain areas of the forums.
  • Discussions, threads and thread closures, and "Shitposting"
  • More sub-areas in the forums(?)
  • Update of graphics around the site
  • custom url for phoenix(?)
  • How NSFW is handled around the site (minors currently have access to threads that are clearly NSFW, etc)
  • Roleplaying subform discussions

With all that said, Zeke and Lemon have a lot to handle, and we’re hoping to work with you guys to make things go as smoothly as possible. Thanks!

• Like 12

Good info. Keep up the good work - I believe in you!

Who all responds to the staff email? Everyone or just certain mods (and presumably Carenaeth)? And would it be appropriate to send well thought out suggestions that way or is there another method you would prefer? I would publicly post my thoughts, but the only responses I want are from the people who have to consider and use or toss out my suggestions.

1 hour ago, Kinare said:

Good info. Keep up the good work - I believe in you!

Who all responds to the staff email? Everyone or just certain mods (and presumably Carenaeth)? And would it be appropriate to send well thought out suggestions that way or is there another method you would prefer? I would publicly post my thoughts, but the only responses I want are from the people who have to consider and use or toss out my suggestions.

Email us those too! We take turns replying to things. For bug stuff, we add that to a doc carenaerh has haxcess to so that he can work on em when he has time. 

• 1 month later...
  • Guest unpinned this topic