Swords!

Vallium

Not sure what that is, but I'll look into it.

I also know there are medieval age enthusiast clubs that teach about Medieval era culture as well as show how to use weapons and tactics, I always forget what theyre called for the life of me. Starts with a C I guess.

wheres armorclad coyote, he would know, Im sure.

There are two types of sword martial arts I have seen offered in the Leisure Learning catalogue:

Fencing, which is pretty cool, you use a foil (type of light weight sword which is held single handedly) and you wear a faceguard to protect your face from stray pokes from the foil. It is an Olympic sport and fast paced.

AND

Mideval Swordsmanship, which teaches fundamentals of handling two handed broadswords and wielding them in battle. Often you must wear plate armor to wield them because you will be smacked by the swords, which are little more than clubs made of metal.

Each is drastically different in its approach, handling, strategy and discipline and neither have a great deal of show-boating or swashbuckling you see in the movies.

I have never taken the courses myself but have always wanted to.

Edited by Skylar Husky
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with liking Katanas. It's just the people who worship them like they are the ultimate swords and everything else is not worthy. They give us Katana enthusiasts a bad name~

Katanas are the only full length swords I'm fond of, really. I'm more fond of knives for the most part.

• Like 1

My boyfriend has a small collection of medieval longswords in his room; some of them were made in Toledo so yeah, quality stuff.
He had the idiotic idea to hang them on the wall just above the head of his bed, though >.> Luckily, he has moved them a bit father away a few days later.

Even if I'm not really much of a sword person myself (I dunno, I like knucklebusters if I really have to choose), I still find swords more appealing than katanas, though I recognize it's mostly because the people I've seen obessing over them were spastic guys in their early teens. There was one ofthese in a local comic convention who kept swinging his blade around, not realizing it was actually sharp. ._.

Edited by Valery91Thunder

I used to fence Foil and Sabre, but trying to keep up and competing with the 20's something  crowd was tearing up my right elbow.   The Dr. basically said give it up, or face surgery.   These days, its mostly Jedi/Dread Pirate Roberts cosplay.    Attached is the rapier that I use when cosplaying the DPR.  I've got a new light sabre on order from UltraSabers too.

20130420_173144.jpg

Edited by Irreverent
spelling

I have some ornamental/wall decoration swords, mostly replicas from movies and shit. Have the Orc sword from LotR, and Chaoseater from Darksiders. One or two other fantasy wall decorations too. They look badass, though the older I get, the more impractical I realize owning them is. Fuckers are heavy and take some serious wall studs to hang.

I am a fan of indonesian style blades, and their use.

However, finding specific videos of pencak silat that regard the practical use of the blades is quite difficult, I instead highly recommend eskrima videos (hk-silat on youtube has some amazing demonstrations.

I do own a sinuwak or two, but those are more filipino blades and I wish I had the traditional like as before, and a kuku macan.

image.jpg