Ghostbuster 2016

DevilishlyHandsome49

On 3/3/2016 at 1:16 PM, DevilishlyHandsome49 said:

Doesn't look too bad I 'spose. Noticed the like/dislike ratio on the vid. You can tell people just want to hate this right off the bat. Guess waiting and giving something a fair shot is overrated :/

Well to be honest a trailer and the advertising can make or break things. I mean there will be people who will dislike it off the bat for a variety of reasons, but based off of what I've seen so far, it'd earn a dislike for me. I'll save "final judgement" until I see the actual movie. But it just doesn't tickle me fancy to get me to actually care about it, for now at least. 

I kinda wanted to like it to spite people upset over something as benign as a gender swap but... no, this wasn't funny. I was never a big Ghostbusters fan in the first place but I'm not convinced here.

Also, it strikes me as just a teeeeensy bit racist with that black woman.

• Like 1

It doesn't seem spectacular but it doesn't look bad either. I'm pretty neutral

2 hours ago, Kellie Gator said:

Also, it strikes me as just a teeeeensy bit racist with that black woman.

Stereotypical? Definitely. Racist? Nah

Just now, Rhíulchabán said:

At least the original movie had a bit of a feeling of "spookiness" and "danger" to it, this just feels really dumbed down to me.

Watch the Angry Joe video on the trailer, he says it better than I can:

watching some other review thingies of it but honestly i don't remeber it being that spooky or scary. That honestly sounds a bit like nostalgia from kids watching it when they were young and thinking anything ghost related was spooky. Also it was just the trailer so you can't really get the entire tone from the movie from it at all.

1 minute ago, Rhíulchabán said:

It's not about it actually being spooky or scary, obviously it wasn't... The movie is obviously a comedy through and through, but it had this feeling of the occult around it. It felt like the characters were indeed sometimes actually in danger, it felt like there was more of a "spooky" theme rather than it actually being spooky.

This whole new movie just feels like "hurr durr" slapstick to me, like the ghosts are just a background "dressing" for the actresses to do poor jokes and make bad slapstick. The original ghostbusters felt more like a full world than this is showing. Ghostbusters was about atmosphere and theming and really getting it to feel a certain way, this new movie just feels like it throws it all out the window.

I also admit to being a big Ghostbusters nerd and playing the newer video games and seeing all of the background details and world-building and atmosphere they shoved into the game and seeing how they linked so many things from the original movie that really made the world feel alive and full rather than a hollow shell used to promote "jokes." 

In the original ghostbusters, it was a world in which a comedy took place, in this new one it feels more like a world used as a backdrop to draw attention to a comedy.

I'll have to watch it again but It honestly sounds like you're giving it a bit too much credit and dismissing this too much based on a 2 minute trailer. trailers are super shitty way of determine the tone of a movie and you can't show all the world building in a trailer.

I've never seen the original Ghostbusters so I don't even remotely care about this.

All I wanted to really say is remember that Total Recall remake/sequel thing they made? Neither did anyone else. If it's truly terrible like everyone assumes it'll be, it will fade away and everyone will forget about it while people will still watch Bill Murray and friends on basic cable for the next 2000 years or so.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

I love that black woman. What a typical hollywood stereotype.

"I'm not smart like you white people."
"Look at my cadillac!"
"OMG it's the devil, oh Jesus, I'm a typical very religious black."
I'm surprised she hasn't started eating fried chicken.

This movie's going to be shit.

Exactly!!

Who thought this was still a good idea?? Someone is getting paid too much money to green-light this kind of shit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy Lee said:

I love that black woman. What a typical hollywood stereotype.

"I'm not smart like you white people."
"Look at my cadillac!"
"OMG it's the devil, oh Jesus, I'm a typical very religious black."
I'm surprised she hasn't started eating fried chicken.

This movie's going to be shit.

16 minutes ago, Ieono said:

Exactly!!

Who thought this was still a good idea?? Someone is getting paid too much money to green-light this kind of shit. 

Oh cut it out with this, "Its racist cause of this" If anything, you're making it more racist by your simplification of her character.

"I'm not smart like you white people." Its made known in the trailer that she's street smart, knows New York. How does that make her any less valuable than the rest of the crew if she has something to contribute in her own way? Know what would have made it more racist? Her not doing ANYTHING and just did stupid slapstick for the amusement of the rest in the group.

"Look at my cadillac" Oh no...she owns a car...that turns into the iconic Ecto 1.

"OMG it's the devil, oh Jesus, I'm a typical very religious black" Oh god forbid there's a religious person in the movie who's hamming it up (as comedians do) to get a laugh.

As for the chicken (if that even happens) ...GOD FORBID SHE EATS FOOD THAT SHE LEGIT ENJOYS

I get it, in the past Hollywood has done stereotypical characters, but christ, when is there going to be a point where an actor can just play a character without someone crying racism?

AND...you're assuming so much of her character from a 2 MINUTE trailer.

You know what? Read this article http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/leslie-jones-ghostbusters-role-paul-873803

6 minutes ago, DevilishlyHandsome49 said:

Oh cut it out with this, "Its racist cause of this" If anything, you're making it more racist by your simplification of her character.

"I'm not smart like you white people." Its made known in the trailer that she's street smart, knows New York. How does that make her any less valuable than the rest of the crew if she has something to contribute in her own way? Know what would have made it more racist? Her not doing ANYTHING and just did stupid slapstick for the amusement of the rest in the group.

"Look at my cadillac" Oh no...she owns a car...that turns into the iconic Ecto 1.

"OMG it's the devil, oh Jesus, I'm a typical very religious black" Oh god forbid there's a religious person in the movie who's hamming it up (as comedians do) to get a laugh.

As for the chicken (if that even happens) ...GOD FORBID SHE EATS FOOD THAT SHE LEGIT ENJOYS

I get it, in the past Hollywood has done stereotypical characters, but christ, when is there going to be a point where an actor can just play a character without someone crying racism?

You know what? Read this article http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/leslie-jones-ghostbusters-role-paul-873803

You're kidding right? I mean, you're not actually seriously excusing all of this stuff as if it WERE NOT stereotypical. Dude, every scene of her in the trailer (which usually shows the "interesting" parts of the movie and the characters) is a blatant stereotype! Do you really not see what is wrong with that, in 2016? And by the way, we didn't call it racist. Although....there is a pretty obvious connection between the portrayal of stereotypes and the reinforcement of currently existing racial structures in society, but okay. 

Hah, if you are serious, I'm legit disappointed that a black person would be attempting to explain away this blatant stereotypical behavior. They have a word for that, y'know...

Edited by Ieono

5 minutes ago, Ieono said:

You're kidding right? I mean, you're not actually seriously excusing all of this stuff as if it WERE NOT stereotypical. Dude, every scene of her in the trailer (which usually shows the "interesting" parts of the movie and the characters) is a blatant stereotype! Do you really not see what is wrong with that, in 2016? And by the way, we didn't call it racist. Although....there is a pretty obvious connection between the portrayal of stereotypes and the reinforcement of currently existing racial structures in society, but okay. 

Hah, if you are serious, I'm legit disappointed that a black person would be attempting to explain away this blatant stereotypical behavior. They have a word for that, y'know...

Let's pretend to be in an alternate reality for one second, shall we? Lets say the stereotypes never existed and the character Leslie plays acted the exact same way. Then what?

Are the stereotypes there? Yes. Are you two making it a much bigger thing than it needs to be based on two minutes of footage that doesn't show how she'll evolve as a character? Yes.

And I'm guessing you're gonna call Leslie the word you want to call me too, right? Cause she just see herself as a character she enjoys playing, a hard working woman and is having fun while doing it and put emphasis on it just being a movie?

But you know what? Sure, fine, its a stereotype. Whatever you say. Me? I just want to see the movie as a movie to entertain cause its soooooo tiring that no actor can even move a certain way without everyone calling it a stereotype or racist or sexist. Do the problems exists? Yes but can we please just calm down and wait for the movie to come out before already judging the hell out of it?

1 minute ago, DevilishlyHandsome49 said:

Let's pretend to be in an alternate reality for one second, shall we? Lets say the stereotypes never existed and the character Leslie plays acted the exact same way. Then what?

Are the stereotypes there? Yes. Are you two making it a much bigger thing than it needs to be based on two minutes of footage that doesn't show how she'll evolve as a character? Yes.

And I'm guessing you're gonna call Leslie the word you want to call me too, right? Cause she just see herself as a character she enjoys playing, a hard working woman and is having fun while doing it and put emphasis on it just being a movie?

But you know what? Sure, fine, its a stereotype. Whatever you say. Me? I just want to see the movie as a movie to entertain cause its soooooo tiring that no actor can even move a certain way without everyone calling it a stereotype or racist or sexist. Do the problems exists? Yes but can we please just calm down and wait for the movie to come out before already judging the hell out of it?

I stay calm, man. 

I understand that the "little things" add up to big things. If you can't connect the dots, then that is unfortunate, but I believe that you can. When a trailer feels the need to show a character performing overly-stereotypical in every scene she is in within that trailer, there is a problem. If producers continue to pander to an audience by giving them stereotypes to laugh at, then people will continue to expect us to "amuse" them in the same way, simply because they have been conditioned to expect black characters to behave that way. It isn't harmless, in the long run; and I'm a long run kind-of guy. I'm under the impression though that audiences are perhaps getting tired of seeing this kind of behavior being perpetuated by Hollywood, but I can be too optimistic sometimes. 

The trailer is definitely shit. But hey, the movie might not be. Only time will tell. I definitely didn't say that it was, so please speak out about things I've actually said next time. Surely, one blatantly stereotypical character can't ruin an entire movie. Oh wait....

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DevilishlyHandsome49 said:

I'm the first one to bitch when people claim racism if there is none... so yea, if I have an issue with something it's probably an issue.

Also, no, I have not seen the whole movie so I don't know her full character but what I have seen of her gives me pause, because it reminds me of typical urban black stereotypes.

A lot of people bring up the fact she's a subway ticket worker. Don't care about that. What I do care about is the fact that she's described as being "Street smart" or "street savvy." This is a black stereotype, considering a lot of black people from urban locations are depicted as being street smart because they come from rough neighborhoods and have to be to survive.

Even if there's more to her than just street smarts, what about the Cadillac line? Yea, it's a hearse, that's kinda like the original Ghostbusters car (BTW, the original car was an old ambulance, not a hearse). It's also a Cadillac, which is a car that people think urban blacks drive. Look at the Escalade. That car shows up in all sorts of rap videos, and is associated with urban black culture. Cadillacs have been associated with urban blacks and black culture and ride pimping culture for a long time. Where the fuck do you think we get the slang "Caddy" from? What, they couldn't have picked another hearse car to use?

And then the part where she's slapping her friend and saying "The power of slap compels you." Blacks are stereotyped as being highly religious because many of them are. Look at that meme "Ya'll motherfuckers need Jesus." You think that's a meme because black women are stereotyped as atheists? Hah. No, blacks are stereotyped as religious.

In any case none of the jokes I've seen so far on those videos are good at all.