Motorized Shopping Carts...

Luca

On paper these things are brilliant idea. A tool for the disabled, elderly and weak. Something to help these poor people navigate the utilitarian rows of Supermarkets so that at least walking is not something they'll have to struggle with today. If only they worked that way... 

I don't think I've ever had sure a pure and unbridled hatred of any inanimate object next to these things. Often found in the dead center of isles. blocking any way through, or caught in corners they were clearly never going to make it through, these things have become the bane of my shopping experience. Maybe they're hard to drive? I wouldn't know. I've driven a bunch of things before, cars, forklifts, track loaders, ect. but I've never used one of these... because I don't need one and it would be rude of me to deny that service to someone who does. That however is an uncommon thought because I've mostly seen obese adults spilling over the human sized seats of these things.

If you want a free ride through the store, just stay to the side or something. Be considerate about how much space you're taking up. That's something I would have thought most of the people who get on them could empathize with, but they never do.

So you have to wait for these things to slowly crawl out of your way, all while getting preemptively glared at by it's rider, because you know they have no decency. Everyone knows. I can't even give the benefit of the doubt to anyone who looks like they should be on them, because I've been run into, cut off, yelled at and always glared at by riders of all types.

Fuck automatic carts
Fuck the man who made them
Fuck the people who put them together for a living

I hate shopping

Edited by Luca
  • Like 3

I worked at a very busy supermarket for almost a year. I hated that place. 

We never really had a problem with the motorized carts tho. In fact, they were quite a godsend for some of the locals. 

The only real problems we had were that the entryway where they were parked was way too cramped to put them away easily, and the controls were just unintuitive enough to make explaining them to old codgers........fuuuuun. 

One other thing that was a little annoying was trying to figure out if they wanted their grocery bags back in the cart basket, in a separate cart, or hauled out to their vehicle. 

On 2016-03-18 at 8:27 PM, Luca said:

On paper these things are brilliant idea. A tool for the disabled, elderly and weak. Something to help these poor people navigate the utilitarian rows of Supermarkets so that at least walking is not something they'll have to struggle with today. If only they worked that way... 

I don't think I've ever had sure a pure and unbridled hatred of any inanimate object next to these things. Often found in the dead center of isles. blocking any way through, or caught in corners they were clearly never going to make it through, these things have become the bane of my shopping experience. Maybe they're hard to drive? I wouldn't know. I've driven a bunch of things before, cars, forklifts, track loaders, ect. but I've never used one of these... because I don't need one and it would be rude of me to deny that service to someone who does. That however is an uncommon thought because I've mostly seen obese adults spilling over the human sized seats of these things.

If you want a free ride through the store, just stay to the side or something. Be considerate about how much space you're taking up. That's something I would have thought most of the people who get on them could empathize with, but they never do.

So you have to wait for these things to slowly crawl out of your way, all while getting preemptively glared at by it's rider, because you know they have no decency. Everyone knows. I can't even give the benefit of the doubt to anyone who looks like they should be on them, because I've been run into, cut off, yelled at and always glared at by riders of all types.

Fuck automatic carts
Fuck the man who made them
Fuck the people who put them together for a living

I hate shopping

Only in

UNST0001.GIF.d52a31d80b500aa7201715f96b8

• Like 1

Speaking from the side of some one that works retail I would have to say the worst thing about the riding carts is how so often people in them don't give a shit about consequences.  I have seen customers bump into a table full of merchandise, realize that this has happened, and then made a conscious decision to just keep pushing the table rather then trying to back up and go around.

Ha ha ha. Oh god those things. I remember once some fat bastard actually ran into me on one of those while I was browsing in the pharmaceuticals at Wal-Mart. He didn't even apologize, he just rolled right on past me, his fat rolls practically running down the sides of his seat as he scooted into shelves and people who didn't move their carts out of his way fast enough. I'm sure he has some medical issue that prevents him from walking around well but there's no excuse to be a dick just because you're disabled. 

Here in Germany we have these carts as a cheaper alternative for an electric wheelchair for people who can barely walk at all. I've never seen them in stores!

It really is a stupid idea in my opinion. Sure, it helps old people. That is nice. But they are useless when they are used by fat people! They can walk TO the store, so they can walk IN the store.

That is something they need to change. Give old people their carts for daily use through health care and remove them from stores. That way those who need them actually get to use them.

• Like 1