Your preferred military shooter setting

VGmaster9

Your preferred military shooter setting  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What's your preferred military shooter setting?

• World War 2
    • Cold War/Vietnam
    • Modern
    • Futuristic
    • Other

I've only played WW2 and modern military shooters, and of them I prefer WW2. Although the idea of World War 1, Civil War, and Vietnam all interest me a lot. I prefer older settings more than newer ones. I like the guns more and how combat seems to be much slower in them.

7 minutes ago, Amiir said:

They didn't really do any WW1 shooters, did they? Let's go for that

Speak of the Devil...

19 minutes ago, Kosha said:

220px-Civilwaranationdivided.jpg

This reminds me, last Monday when I went out to grab myself a special Sicilian pizza.  I went to the Gamestop next door, and some old guy was looking for a Civil War game that wasn't the history channel one.  Apparently it was for himself, and the guy mentioned he was 80 years old.  The only other "civil war" game for the 360 I can think of was Darkest of Days, and that wasn't exclusively a civil war game.

1 minute ago, Clove Darkwave said:

Wow I never thought I'd speak to anyone about this game.

Hate to burst your bubble, but I only know of this game thanks to the digital foundry video.  It does look pretty swell, but for 40 chickens, I'll wait.  Plus, not sure if my 750ti can handle it.

1 hour ago, major lee snake said:

I'd love for a Vietnam shooter, only so that I can post:

>play Vietnam war game
>it ain't me starts playing

1437504386640.jpg

Battlefield Vietnam was great for that because you had a radio list of songs you could broadcast from your vehicle.

Wagner was extremely popular for helicopter rides.

Also this now a thing...

2 minutes ago, Khaki said:

Jesus, I'm not a graphics fag or anything, but this game looks absolutely terrible.  And this is a PC exclusive title, too?  Why is it that PC exclusive games are, ironically, significantly lower end than console exclusive games?

3 minutes ago, major lee snake said:

Hate to burst your bubble, but I only know of this game thanks to the digital foundry video.  It does look pretty swell, but for 40 chickens, I'll wait.  Plus, not sure if my 750ti can handle it.

I played it with an AMD HD 6450. Framerate sucked but was just enough to be enjoyable. Game is gorgeous even on "Shit PC Settings".

I think you could manage. Get it on sale.

See: Shit settings screenshot I took

261760_screenshots_2014-12-17_00003.jpg

23 minutes ago, major lee snake said:

Jesus, I'm not a graphics fag or anything, but this game looks absolutely terrible.  And this is a PC exclusive title, too?  Why is it that PC exclusive games are, ironically, significantly lower end than console exclusive games?

As far as I'm aware, they were still improving it at the time that video came out so we will see how bad it really is once the final product comes out.

I guess we notice different things though, such as those Americans all had 30 round STANAG mags for their M16 as if they were issued out like free skittles.

6 hours ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

Could the splatoon setting count, cause that's by far the most interseting shooter setting i have seen in a long time.

I would call that a modern/urban setting. Like S4 League was and Gotham Imposters. Shame how boring Splatoon is because it really has a fresh style. 

Let me rant.

I'm a huge WW2 nut but I think WW2 games are done badly, particularly the setting or "storyline". The most annoying is that it's nearly always about the burgers and fucking D-Day for the MILLIONTH time trying to replicate Saving Private Ryan. Take me to North Africa or Finland for once. Or let me see something from the german, italian, or japanese perspective. Lets get some Operation Barbarossa in there, lemme drive some british tanks facing off against Rommel in the desert, lets stop the reds from getting into funland.

It doesn't help that the subgenre they choose is always a shitty corridoor shooter in a bad imitation of Medal of Honour or old Call of Duty. One of the first proper "tactical" shooters was called Hidden & Dangerous, and it was about the British SAS covert ops. It was in league with games like old Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon, and it was really good and really different at the time.
Another top-tier one was Red Orchestra: Ostfront '41-'44. Like Battlefield 1942 with an intense dose of psuedorealism. I miss it. The new Red Orchestra games took away a lot of excellent elements of the first game, and added in lots of horrible decisions.

Really if you want a GOOD, interesting WW2 game, it always ends up being strategy.

Though aesthetically I think I like the Cold War era shooters the most, even more so when it's a fictional conflict in the same period.

24 minutes ago, Sir Gibby said:

One of the first proper "tactical" shooters was called Hidden & Dangerous, and it was about the British SAS covert ops.

I actually own that game, never finished it, to slow.

5 minutes ago, Sir Gibby said:

I have my old copy somewhere! I never finished it as a kid because it was too hard for me but I might have a look today!

It's actually been a few years myself since I played it. I found part 2 was a bit better, still had that tactile aspect to it but put you more in the action.