root

Trudeau: Yay or Nay?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Trudeau: Yay or Nay?

• Yay
    • Nay
    • Indifferent
    • I'd let him fondle my butthole

He elbowed a woman in the boob in parliament.

It was all over the news. 

Decided to cross the chamber and push people from the other party back into their seats. 

Also if you're a Canadian check out the location thread and maybe list yourself on the map:

If you are near Toronto we do meet ups for noodles, cake, and board games.

You can check out the meet up thread here:

Us Americans can't really talk right now. Our current leader is a pushover and sycophant and our potential next leader is either a racist caricature of a Republican or an evil, conniving witch who hates dogs.

She hates dogs...

that being said, Trudeau is kind of a joke down here.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

Ok I get it Trudeau is a liberal and this is the worst possible thing blah blah blah.

Just curious though like what has he actually done that is so terrible?

He has tried to make himself look like a good person while actually accomplishing nothing. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

He has tried to make himself look like a good person while actually accomplishing nothing. 

He has stopped the Canadian Governments War on Science which is a pretty big plus in my book.

Also he has helped Canada accept a larger number of Syrian Refugees which is another positive for me.  I know how you feel about that and frankly I am surprised you didn't immediately jump to complaining about it.

• Like 2

he's a limp-wristed idiot who only got elected because he promised to make weed legal, yet he hasn't even managed to do that

instead he seems to just make appearance after appearance on television extolling his progressivism and how wonderful he is

he's a joke

a big fat mistake

low energy

sad!

3 hours ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

Also he has helped Canada accept a larger number of Syrian Refugees which is another positive for me.  I know how you feel about that and frankly I am surprised you didn't immediately jump to complaining about it.

>"Syrian"

>"Refugees"

lol

• Like 1

@Zerig I like how you refuse to respond to the part when I mention an actual thing that he has done and continue wanting to claim that he has done nothing.

Also do you have an actual argument to make against allowing Syrian Refugees or are you just going to waltz around clucking like a hen and pretending your already correct?

3 hours ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

@Zerig I like how you refuse to respond to the part when I mention an actual thing that he has done and continue wanting to claim that he has done nothing.

Also do you have an actual argument to make against allowing Syrian Refugees or are you just going to waltz around clucking like a hen and pretending your already correct?

I'm saying that 90% of the "refugees" flooding into Europe/North America aren't from Syria and aren't refugees

they're just coming for free money and because the governments are letting them run wild because otherwise they'd be racist

1 hour ago, Zerig said:

he's a limp-wristed idiot who only got elected because he promised to make weed legal, yet he hasn't even managed to do that

instead he seems to just make appearance after appearance on television extolling his progressivism and how wonderful he is

As of my posting Today, Parliament has only sat for a total of 59 days since Trudeau was elected.  Exactly how much were you expecting in 59 business days?

• Like 1

The whole spiel about this crazy 'assault' is fucking ridiculous.

The video shows a guy trying to get by two other people who block him, then Trudeau shows up and pulls him by the arm through the shit... Boom, everybody has been assaulted. Sexual harassment too? Are they fucked?

The whole thing was for a huge fucking deal in Canadian history, namely right to die by assisted suicide and this is what the media wants to headline...

• Like 1

All I know of him is an interview (I think on the new daily show) where he spoke with a..... suprising amount of common sense, humanity, and wit.

I don't know about in canada but I know in america progress is fucking slow because of congress no matter what else happens. Atleast your parliment actually seems to be working and the new leader, at the very least, is a decent human being.

16 minutes ago, Wrecker said:

This whole spiel about this crazy 'assault' is fucking ridiculous.

The video shows a guy trying to get by two other people who block him, then trudeau shows up and pulls him by the arm through the shit... Boom, everybody has been assaulted. Sexual harassment too? Are you fucked?

The whole thing was for a huge fucking deal in Canadian history, namely right to die by assisted suicide and this is what the media wants to headline...

I know right? That woman was totally milking it too. "I was so traumatized by his elbow pat that I had to sit outside which made me unable to vote!" Even her reaction in the video looks overly dramatized.

17 hours ago, #00Buck said:

If you are near Toronto we do meet ups for noodles, cake, and board games.

Nah I don't live near there unfortunately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrecker said:

The whole spiel about this crazy 'assault' is fucking ridiculous.

The video shows a guy trying to get by two other people who block him, then Trudeau shows up and pulls him by the arm through the shit... Boom, everybody has been assaulted. Sexual harassment too? Are they fucked?

Pretty good example of why women shouldn't be allowed in parliament.

What

44 minutes ago, Lemon said:

Something something all women in power are fucking terrible and as soon as their uterus explodes it's all over nuclear war something something. :)

This is what you usually see with those unfamiliar with Canadian Parliamentary procedure.  The Canadian House of Commons is a dramatic shithole.  It's not the do-nothing-stale-mate of US Congress, but people basically lose their shit if someone calls someone else a 'Liar' in the House. I'm not joking, MPs get EJECTED for the rest of the day if they say the 'L Word'.  You can thump your desk and heckle like a pack of psychotic kindergartners but you say 'Liar' and it's like you just called the teacher 'Cunt' and everyone's like 'Oh shit... he said it!  He said it!  What do we do?  Someone pull the fire alarm, we got to get the hell out of here. D:'

Gender has NOTHING to do with this.  This is just what Members of Parliament do the MOMENT they find an excuse and this is not limited to any one party.

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

This is what you usually see with those unfamiliar with Canadian Parliamentary procedure.  The Canadian House of Commons is a dramatic shithole.  It's not the do-nothing-stale-mate of US Congress, but people basically lose their shit if someone calls someone else a 'Liar' in the House. I'm not joking, MPs get EJECTED for the rest of the day if they say the 'L Word'.  You can thump your desk and heckle like a pack of psychotic kindergartners but you say 'Liar' and it's like you just called the teacher 'Cunt' and everyone's like 'Oh shit... he said it!  He said it!  What do we do?  Someone pull the fire alarm, we got to get the hell out of here. D:'

Gender has NOTHING to do with this.  This is just what Members of Parliament do the MOMENT they find an excuse and this is not limited to any one party.

I was more sassing the quote Wrecker said "what" to, but thanks for the.. incredibly immature glimpse into the canadian government. 

2 minutes ago, Lemon said:

I was more sassing the quote Wrecker said "what" to, but thanks for the.. incredibly immature glimpse into the canadian government. 

Oh I know you weren't being serious, I just wanted to seriously address it for him, since he's clearly the sort of people who doesn't actually normally follow the events of the Parliament unless it makes big fat headlines on FaceBook.  Really, people should pay more attention to how the procedures of their government works, it helps in being better involved in the democratic process.

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

You can thump your desk and heckle like a pack of psychotic kindergartners

I noticed that when Trudeau made his insincere sounding apology after elbowing that woman. He had to talk over what sounded like a riot and it was just ridiculous.

Speaking as a Canadian....

I have no fucking idea who he is, what he looks like, or how he is as a person. I have noticed jack shit changes since he was elected and I don't really care long as he doesn't fuck anything up.

Of course this is all from the view if a highschooler, but he has 0 impact on us it seems.

2 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Oh I know you weren't being serious, I just wanted to seriously address it for him, since he's clearly the sort of people who doesn't actually normally follow the events of the Parliament unless it makes big fat headlines on FaceBook.  Really, people should pay more attention to how the procedures of their government works, it helps in being better involved in the democratic process.

Who are we addressing?

8 hours ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

He has stopped the Canadian Governments War on Science which is a pretty big plus in my book.

There was no war on science. The left complained that scientists were being muzzled and could not speak. What have the scientists said that was being held back? Nothing. 

They said all the conservative senators Duffy chief among them were corrupt. After the election Duffy walks free innocent of all charges. Again a big deal over nothing. 

They Syrian refugees may if fact not be Syrian or even refugees. I disagree with the decision to let them in. Why complain about it? It has already been done. 

@Zerig and @#00Buck Do you have any proof to demonstrate that these refugees are not what they claim or are we just resorting to baseless accusations?

@#00Buck Actually scientists were actively being prevented from speaking to the press.  

http://www.nature.com/news/nine-years-of-censorship-1.19842

Numerous scientists in the article speaking about how they weren't allowed to speak to the press.  The Harper administration even went so far as to remove research into environmental issues, such as contaminants, from the DFO's mandate and firing all the scientists performing research into the field were fired or transferred.  This was real, it happened, and you can talk to the scientists involved if you want to find out more.

39 minutes ago, Gamedog said:

I like how he's letting Fort macmurray burn and refusing help from other countries

grade a guy

where is my legal weed bruh

This is true. Tuned down help from Russia and Mexico right when it was needed most.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

@Zerig and @#00Buck Do you have any proof to demonstrate that these refugees are not what they claim or are we just resorting to baseless accusations?

@#00Buck Actually scientists were actively being prevented from speaking to the press.  

http://www.nature.com/news/nine-years-of-censorship-1.19842

Numerous scientists in the article speaking about how they weren't allowed to speak to the press.  The Harper administration even went so far as to remove research into environmental issues, such as contaminants, from the DFO's mandate and firing all the scientists performing research into the field were fired or transferred.  This was real, it happened, and you can talk to the scientists involved if you want to find out more.

If the government pays you to do research the government owns the research. If millions of dollars are spent you don't want people simply giving away the results. Also a scientist can put a political spin on the results of their research. This is the same in every employer employee relationship. You can't go work for a big cola company and then give away the secret recipe because you feel like it. You also can't work for that cola company and then tell the world not to drink cola. It is only fair that statements be made that are non-political and based on the research itself. Science shouldn't be a platform for any political agenda. 

15 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

This is true. Tuned down help from Russia and Mexico right when it was needed most.

Well, no. Canada isn't in need of additional resources.  There's no shortage of man power for fighting the fire and its no a fire you can just throw more people at and 'solve'.  Forrest fires don't work that way.  And the one resource Canada has needed, water bombing aircraft, has been accepted from international offers, though even at this point that airspace is now at the saturation point for those kinds of operations and not even additionl aircraft can help.

27 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

If the government pays you to do research the government owns the research. If millions of dollars are spent you don't want people simply giving away the results. Also a scientist can put a political spin on the results of their research. This is the same in every employer employee relationship. You can't go work for a big cola company and then give away the secret recipe because you feel like it. You also can't work for that cola company and then tell the world not to drink cola. It is only fair that statements be made that are non-political and based on the research itself. Science shouldn't be a platform for any political agenda. 

You are absolutely right science shouldn't be a platform for a political agenda.  Unfortunately everything else you said in that paragraph is completely wrong.  In order for political and other bias to be removed from science the scientists need to be free to share the conclusion of their research with the public especially when the results of said research directly concern the health and well being of both the public and our shared environment. 

Your analogy of a researcher at a cola company is flawed.  We are not talking about an invention or a recipe here.  A more apt comparison would be if you worked for a cola company and during research you discovered that the cola your company produced was causing cancer.  You would have a moral obligation to share that research with the public.  Anything besides reporting that information unfiltered to the public would be to allow bias to intrude into your research.  The situation we saw with the Harper administration was more akin to tobacco scientists not be allowed to share their findings that cigarettes cause cancer.

Science only works when it is an open process that is shared and disseminated with other scientists and the public.  When the Harper administration was preventing scientists from meeting with the press they were blatantly enforcing a political agenda on the science.

3 hours ago, #00Buck said:

If the government pays you to do research the government owns the research.

Information contained within research cannot be protected by copyright law in any case within Canada, the U.S.A., or the U.K. The work itself may not be protected by copyright law if the origin of the work is the state itself within Canada, the U.S.A., or the U.K.. If the work was contracted out, the entity the work was contracted out to owns the work and retains all rights to the work, but they do not retain any rights when it comes to the information and facts in Canada, the U.S.A., and the U.K.. This is laid out in the Copyright Act and Title 17, but it is a little complicated in the U.K.

Some works in the Canada and the U.K. do default to Her Majesty's ownership, but that really doesn't impact this issue.

You can't go work for a big cola company and then give away the secret recipe because you feel like it.

You're confusing different types of ownership, which is really important not to do when talking about issues like this.

Facts may not be copyrighted, patented, or trademarked. A process, recipe, or method may be patented, though. That cola recipe is nothing like a government study when it comes to ownership protections under the law.

You also can't work for that cola company and then tell the world not to drink cola.

You actually can, in most cases due to oversight by the owner of the patent, but that has nothing to do with the rights of ownership and more to do with the rights of an employer.

• Like 1

Employers including the government have a right to limit what their employees say.

It is that simple. Want to yell "FHRITP" out in public? You can do it.

You'll also get fired for it because no employer wants employees who act so inappropriately. 

We do have freedom of speech. There is no freedom of jobs. You enter into a contract with the employer and abide by it and the employment standards of the provincial and federal government. The government was not illegally doing anything to scientists. Since the new government has taken power these previously silenced scientists have said absolutely nothing. Just like the senate corruption accusations it was false. 

1 hour ago, #00Buck said:

You'll also get fired for it because no employer wants employees who act so inappropriately. 

I was annoyed when that happened. He wasn't even representing the company at the time and they just went and fired him... then rehired him.

7 hours ago, #00Buck said:

Employers including the government have a right to limit what their employees say.

This is where the Canada (Or most other nations) and the U.S.A. really differ, and U.S. citizens looking in on this issue might be really confused.

The U.S. government has less right to limit their employees speech than does the Canadian government.

7 hours ago, #00Buck said:

Since the new government has taken power these previously silenced scientists have said absolutely nothing.

That is only because the media stopped being interested once the issue went away. They are more freely speaking about their work now, but nobody cares because that is the way things should function.

And they didn't just take power; they stopped enforcing and then repealed the bloated communications policy of the previous administration.

8 hours ago, root said:

I was annoyed when that happened. He wasn't even representing the company at the time and they just went and fired him... then rehired him.

Me too. I'm all for free speech. I also think that the FHRITP thing is hilarious. But that's how it is to be employed these days. 

Yep, wasn't a big deal or nothing

tmp_24577-20160504_184124691933205.jpg

I actually know someone who lost their house and truck and everything they owned with the exception of what they walked out the door with in the morning. 

Total devastation. My friends and I are doing a collection to help him get started back up again. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, #00Buck said:

We do have freedom of speech. There is no freedom of jobs. You enter into a contract with the employer and abide by it and the employment standards of the provincial and federal government. The government was not illegally doing anything to scientists. Since the new government has taken power these previously silenced scientists have said absolutely nothing. Just like the senate corruption accusations it was false. 

First off saying that the government wasn't doing anything illegal misses the point completely.  Of course it wasn't illegal seeing as you know the government decides what is and isn't legal.  Pointing out that it wasn't illegal is just circular reasoning.

Also you are dead wrong about scientists saying nothing.  The article I linked to quoted several scientists who were directly speaking out against the silencing and had a lot to come forward with now that the silencing has stopped.

Also I don't know what this senate corruption issue you keep bringing up is and I don't give a shit right now.  It wasn't part of my initial argument in any way shape or form and there is no reason for you to keep bringing it up here.