Night in the Woods

Käpt'n

This seems like a very cute and well made game that's gonna come out later this year:

http://www.nightinthewoods.com/

The artstyle looks fantastic, the music sounds amazing and it seems to have a big focus on characters and the story.
What is the story? I dunno. Apparently there is a forest, something is in it and everyone is gonna die soon. Maybe.

28d96b85a73ff02681659daeb8ff1bbf_origina

See?

There is a gay couple, too.

53c06256190347a8381643cf3340af84_origina

You like cute gay couples in games, right? :3

What sold me so far are the two little supplemental games, Longest Night and Lost Constellation.
Longest Night is mainly about some of the characters and Lost Constellation seems to be giving a little backstory.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this! It seems to be a cute little game about some rather serious themes which is right up myalley.

7 hours ago, DrDingo said:

Oh wow

This looks really cool. I don't even care what it's about; it's beautiful and I want to touch it

Right, it does look cool.

Here's a long gameplay video from Pax:

It looks so alive! It's awesome and the dialogue is adorable :3

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

So erm... It's out and stuff.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/481510/

I didn't expect the game to cost 20 bucks. I expected something between 10 and 15 bucks considering that it's a Kickstarter project.
Oh well. Doesn't matter as long as it's good.

Reviews seem mostly positive so far but not nearly as overwhelmingly positive as they were for Undertale. Because let's be fair, that is THE big indie Kickstarter game with furry characters that you have to compare it to.
The game also doesn't seem to get a lot of coverage. When Undertale came out there were videos about it all over Youtube, but so far I didn't see anything about Night in the Woods.

On 25.2.2017 at 8:06 PM, Battlechili said:

I heard this game was a walking simulator where the developer pushed his beliefs and feelings about the world on others in it.

Yeah it doesn't exactly have deep gameplay... It's more like a very interactive visual novel with some very basic gameplay elements.
But I don't see how the devs pushed their beliefs on the audience. What kind of beliefs do you mean? Religion? You can choose whether Maw is religious or not through dialogue options.
Also, it's a shitty small town in a very rural area. People are religious there. So as much as I hate religious fairy tales, at least it's a very accurate depiction of that kind of community.
I grew up in a similar town and I could relate to it very well.
You could argue that the game is made for the typical "tumblr people" since, for example, 3 of the 4 main characters aren't straight. But I think that is handled very well...
Angus and Gregg are a gay couple. Sure. But it's never really blown out of proportion.
Mae is bisexual but that is mentioned just once.

It's about tweens who grew up in a shitty small and conservative town where there is nothing to do and nothing to accomplish for anyone with slightly bigger ambitions.
Lot's of people in that demographic can relate to the issues these characters are having. They are relatable.

I finished my playthrough yesterday and I enjoyed it. It's not THAT amazing though. I expected the whole mystery plot to be a bigger part of the game but ultimately that just felt like an afterthought. That part was pretty forgettable but the rest was nice.

The Guitar Hero minigame can die in a fire by the way.

What I enjoyed the most are the characters, the artstyle and the soundtrack.

Gregg rules ok?

On 2/25/2017 at 1:06 PM, Battlechili said:

I heard this game was a walking simulator where the developer pushed his beliefs and feelings about the world on others in it.

yes and no

Every character has their own beliefs
like normal people do. 

From what I can tell, there's a pretty even amount of characters of both religious and non religious beliefs. Politics aren't really in the game, besides maybe a bunch of old folk arguing about how to keep the town funded, if that even counts.

However, the dev has said "you wouldn't believe how many things in the game have actually happened to me"
So, i mean, I kinda see where that statement comes from.

But is that a bad thing?
They want to characters to be like real people.
So they have real experiences. 
It all feels real, honestly. Way too fucking real sometimes. 
It never felt like the game was pushing anything on me. Ever. It just felt like the characters were just being people. And no character felt the same. 

Also yes, it's a walking simulator. It has mini games sprinkled throughout. I, personally, never got bored with it. But I also really liked just talking to the characters, so whatever. 

15 hours ago, Käpt'n said:

It's about tweens who grew up in a shitty small and conservative town where there is nothing to do and nothing to accomplish for anyone with slightly bigger ambitions.
Lot's of people in that demographic can relate to the issues these characters are having. They are relatable.

They're 20/21
tweens are, like, 10-12 year olds

6 hours ago, Falaffel said:

It all feels real, honestly. Way too fucking real sometimes. 
It never felt like the game was pushing anything on me. Ever. It just felt like the characters were just being people. And no character felt the same. 

Also yes, it's a walking simulator. It has mini games sprinkled throughout. I, personally, never got bored with it. But I also really liked just talking to the characters, so whatever. 

They're 20/21
tweens are, like, 10-12 year olds

Yeah. Some scenarios hit pretty close to home...

Also, while it's a walking simulator there still is a lot to do and explore. There are many secrets you can find and different paths to take during the main story. Even the main story has some aspects I didn't see at first!
I will definitely play through it again to see everything I have missed. I missed the first day with Gregg and after that I never did anything with Bae.
It has the perfect lengths for that as well, it doesn't feel tedious.
So if you play through it twice or maybe three times to see absolutely everything you could easily spend between about 20 hours with it in total. Which in my opinion justifies the price.

About tweens, I was convinced that this word describes people in their early 20s! Like a mix of twenty and teen? I never looked it up, I just assumed that's what it means :3

• Like 1

On 1.3.2017 at 10:35 PM, DrDingo said:

I'm calling it, you guys- A fandom is gonna form around this game.

I've played for just two hours and my emotions have already sunk into it. I think I'm in love

If it's even possible to be in love with a game

I still love that Gregg is a gay fox and his boyfriend is a bear X3 That's just too perfect!

I finished this game in like a couple days, even with all the homework and shit I had. It's fantastic. Love the characters, love the dialogue, love the story. It's not particularly challenging (although the mini dungeon crawler/rogue-like you can play on the computer gets super fuckin' hard actually!) but god, the story hit really close to home. I haven't had feels like that since I played Undertale. I wouldn't be surprised if a huge fandom sprung up around it, especially given how gosh darn cute it is.

On 25.2.2017 at 8:06 PM, Battlechili said:

If you can call a 2D platformer a "walking simulator," and there's some gamers who've played some games in their day and should know better, yet agree with that label, you know that term has lost all meaning...

(And I may not be a native speaker, but I'm pretty sure the second half of that sentence is rendered total gibberish by adding the "in it." This makes the sentence parse as "the dev forces his worldview on the characters inside the game," and not as "the content inside the game forces the dev's worldview on the player." Anyway, that charge is so ludicrous it's beneath serious consideration in any case.)

Wooooooaahhh.

I just finished the game
And here are some thoughts, spoiler-tagged for your pleasure. Consider the following odd thoughts to be like Mae's journal

-I was really really hoping I could grab a baseball bat and smash the shit out of the dad nazis

-Mae said the cult was still alive down there. So what does that mean?

-The end makes me feel really uneasy. It's not a satisfying ending. Because of Casey. And because nobody actually knows what really happened

-Possum Springs is a complete shithole. If there's a freaky monster trying to destroy the town, everyone would be better off moving somewhere else. It's not like you can't mine for rocks elsewhere

-We still don't know why the weird goat art in the historical society is familiar to Mae

-Aaaannd..
If the weird cult dads wanted to kill off everyone who is useless in the community, why don't they just throw themselves in the hole? Every single one of them died and the town didn't even fucking notice.

Oh, and one more thing-

1488494120_hdhhd.gif

On 6.3.2017 at 9:36 PM, DrDingo said:
  Hide contents

-Mae said the cult was still alive down there. So what does that mean?

-The end makes me feel really uneasy. It's not a satisfying ending. Because of Casey. And because nobody actually knows what really happened

-We still don't know why the weird goat art in the historical society is familiar to Mae

-Bea corrected her the first time she asked by pointing out a cave collapsed right on their heads and they had no way out since Germ dynamite'd the well. They're making Possum Springs great again in hell.

-Mae has beat the otherworldly influence and decided to move to Bright Harbor with Gregg and Angus or... do whatever she does in the Bea route. Seems like she's getting her shit together. Casey's still gone, but you can choose to give his parents closure.

-It's either the cosmic horror the murdercult worshipped or one of the other otherworldly creatures Mae saw in her dreams.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...